Loss of 12V Habitation Supply (1 Viewer)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'm in France with neither my DVM nor my electrical schematic diagram, hence my plea here! And I'm usually pretty good at making sure that I have EVERYTHING I need - typical!

Woke up this morning to discover that we had no 12 V supply to the habitation side of the vehicle.

This situation persists irrespective of whether we are connected to 240V mains.

When I start the engine, I can hear a relay chattering but, thus far have not been able to locate the relay. However it appears to be in/under the dashboard.

I have visually checked all of the fuses on the Electroblok/Schaudt control box and all seem ok. The vehicle is a 2006 Dethleffs i7870 A class built on a Fiat Ducato base (2.8JTD). Due to the vehicle being an A Class, access to the engine Bay Area is limited/difficult. However, presumably there will be a few relays somewhere under there!

On a number of previous occasions when we've had the motorhome on our drive, we'd noticed that, occasionally the 12 V on the habitation side had 'tripped'. This was rectified simply by switching the 12V switch on the panel above the door off and on (a single time). Presumably, these previous instances and this latest one have the same root cause.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for a mid 2000s fiat/Dethleffs that they could send me, that would be fantastic.

Similarly, any suggestions on the likely culprit would be most welcome.

Thanks

Ian

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Bit of a long shot but if you have "reset" it before using the switch on the panel, perhaps, just perhaps, the panel switch is US, the connectors loose or dirty or switch contacts dirty. If you can get to it remove panel and check the connections before ripping your dash apart?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My Electroblok has a very small switch on it which turns off the 12v supply. If you have one of these I don't want to suggest that you haven't checked it but it might be another candidate for a malfunction. It appears to operate a relay within the Electroblok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You'll be able to download the diagram off the schaudt web site.

Good old French Hypermarche will provide the DVM.

Relay chattering ? Sounds about the right time for split charge relay near the engine battery, if fitted that is because the electrobloc my do this function.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have had daft things like that with ours, switch off the electro bloc and also remove the main master fuse, remote from the other fuses, resets everything on ours, you might just get lucky, I have a couple of times and can be done without dismantling anything

(y)

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Bit of a long shot but if you have "reset" it before using the switch on the panel, perhaps, just perhaps, the panel switch is US, the connectors loose or dirty or switch contacts dirty. If you can get to it remove panel and check the connections before ripping your dash apart?

Yes, I've just been behind the panel! The switch is part of a circuit board so not very removable! I've rattled the switch back and forth a few times just in case but with no joy.

I'm suspicious of the chattering relay (although it has now stopped chattering!). I may see if I can figure out the contacts on the switch and try bridging them to see if that makes a difference.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Electroblok has a very small switch on it which turns off the 12v supply. If you have one of these I don't want to suggest that you haven't checked it but it might be another candidate for a malfunction. It appears to operate a relay within the Electroblok.
That switch has a reputation for failing well worth checking.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I

I've tried that with no joy but thanks for the suggestion.

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You'll be able to download the diagram off the schaudt web site.

Good old French Hypermarche will provide the DVM.

Relay chattering ? Sounds about the right time for split charge relay near the engine battery, if fitted that is because the electrobloc my do this function.

I will try the download later.

Just my luck that the Hypermarche that we tried today didn't have one!

Does the split charge relay look just like a normal relay or is it different?

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
That switch has a reputation for failing well worth checking.

That's a seat out job to access the Electroblok!

I'm keen to focus on the split charge relay as I suspect that it has isolated the habitation side. I just need to locate the damn thing!

Ian

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The split charge relay shouldn't isolate the habitation battery - it simply disconnects the alternator / starter battery when the engine isn't running. It's built into the Electrobloc. A more likely possibility (if your vehicle has one) is the relay that turns off all habitation services when the engine is running. That one could easily cause the fault if it failed,.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There was another thread on a similar thing a couple of days ago. Solution was to remove the control panel, disconnect it, wait about 30 secs then reconnect.

Might be worth a try.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does the split charge relay look just like a normal relay or is it different?
Ian

On our Burstner it's mounted right next to the battery rather crudely. On second thoughts though I'm not sure why it would chatter. What it does is just join the engine battery to the hab battery when the alternator is generating, so if the hab battery is knackered a lot of current might flow and that could destroy the relay. Would it chatter ? Not sure.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's built into the Electrobloc. A more likely possibility (if your vehicle has one) is the relay that turns off all habitation services when the engine is running. That one could easily cause the fault if it failed,.

Our Electrobloc EBL99 switches an external split charge relay but in effect it's just the alternator D+ looping through the EBL. This same D+ line also switches an internal fridge relay.

I don't think German vans do the daft isolate the hab when driving thing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The split charge relay shouldn't isolate the habitation battery - it simply disconnects the alternator / starter battery when the engine isn't running. It's built into the Electrobloc. A more likely possibility (if your vehicle has one) is the relay that turns off all habitation services when the engine is running. That one could easily cause the fault if it failed,.
Habitation electrics are alway on in German vans turning them off is apeculiar thingg that only UK converts do, a hangover from caravans.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks to @Camping Gaza , @Pausim , @hilldweller , @DavidG58 , @Lenny HB , @tonyidle and @TerryL for the thoughts and suggestions regarding my loss of habitation 12V,

All sorted now - the usual trick of unplugging plugs/sockets (on the panel aboveboard the door) did the trick. More often than not, it's something simple like this - pretty much as @Camping Gaza suggested in the first response on the thread.

Thanks all until next time.

Cheers

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back