Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
When we first picked up our present Peugeot Boxer based van it had been standing unused for some 18 months plus due to the previous owners ill health and on the way home from picking the van up the I had the warning light come on as I braked coming down the slip road off the A1 a few miles from home. Thinking it may have been caused by heat from long heavy braking down the slip road I gave it a couple of hours to cool down and checked the fault codes. From memory the fault code came back as the ABS did not receive data from a sensor within "x" amount of milli seconds. I cleared the fault codes and went out for a test drive and the warning light came on again.
To cut a long story short a bit of digging around on the internet came up with 3 main causes of this problem. In order of cost, damaged wiring to one of the ABS sensors at the wheels, a dirty or corroded/rusty ABS ring or a dirty/ corroded connector in the ABS wiring. Next a faulty ABS sensor and the biggy for cost, a faulty ABS pump.
I unplugged and cleaned the terminal on each of the connector in the ABS wiring from the sensors at the wheels and luckily this cleared the problem and it has not returned since.
Had this on my van just out of warranty unfortunately it was the abs pump - in addition to the light show the speedo had packed, up nothing logged in the ecu a change of pump at £1000 fixed the issue but that was after a lot of fault finding with abs sensors etc. When i took it to the dealer asked the question do you see this issue a lot and the answer was "never" went back to pick it up and there were 3 more boxers awaiting replacement pumps

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I'm not technical but this is a problem with the van, not the motorhome. Perhaps you should be annoyed with Peugeot, who should be able to fix it. If you ditch it choose another van based on a different manufacturer like Ford or Fiat.

Or Hymer ?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
We had a “similar” problem with our Mercedes Hymer, all it was a sticky dump valve gate on the turbo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
If they told you that I wouldn't have much faith in them as pushing brake and accelerator at the same time cuts
Hi.
I had trouble at roundabouts and "Slalom" runs ;) of it going into "Limp mode" Fiat Ducato auto (Goes well !!). When i asked an old "Fitter (y)". He said. "Your to quick with your feet,the engine managment systems cannot keep up and closes down to avoid damage"
Progress... Did you know,i never had this trouble with my first car,a 1935 Austin 10. 2 seater with a Dicky seat and ...Rod...brakes . Did i tell you about when it went through the window at Bob Smiths Transport cafe in Derby one night....?? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)??
Tea Bag

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
Brake light switch for me too. This weird problem seems to be built in to modern vehicles. My previous Land Rover Freelander had a motorised tailgate window which was supposed to drop free of the frame when the door handle was operated. When it stopped working and I couldn't open the tailgate, Google said, "Replace the brake light switch". Instant cure, don't ask me how!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The brake light switch on many, more modern, vehicles, also sets the parameters for other ECU "decisions". One simple one, is switching off the cruise control, when you just "touch" the brake. Other functions can be similarly "linked". Therfore a replacement brake light switch, a device frequently "cycled" in use, could easily be the issue.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had issues on an Audi A6 once.
Doors would not lock and alarm would not set, turned out to be sticking brake switch, seems the car thought someone was in the car pushing the brake pedal so would not lock the doors.
Lucky it was under warranty so cheap fix.

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
So when I take her to the workshop on Tuesday I will leave the engine running and insist on a new brake light switch. Thanks for your input everyone, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Had a problem with the current ford transit going into limp mode after only covering 50miles from new called in at 2 different ford dealers and they could not find a problem.whilst away on holiday i decided to,call the AA he said is diagnostic equipment may not be up to date for this current engine but said he wouLd give it a go when connected to the vehicle system he found to injectors faulty! I managed to get home under my own steam and took the vehicle to local ford dealer for the day and they said their was no problem.Collected the vehicle and after only about a mile the engine started to limp again.So I got home and called the AA again obviously a different engineer bur did the same diagnostic check and found the same problem.I decided to photograph his diagnostic monitor showing the findings and emailed it to the garage they said to take the vehicle back and eventually agreed the injectors were faulty took 9weeks to get parts but all is ok now .So perhaps you could try that?good luck

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It is hard enough trying to find a reliable garage for a Fiat commercial but I would not even consider a Citroen or Peugeot commercial for that very same reason.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Sounds like enough is enough to me, return it to you supplying dealer, not fit for purpose, and threaten to sue for loss of amenity until they either replace it , give a full refund or fix it properly. I now of a company that had a similar problem with a Scania truck. Eventually Scania shipped it back to Sweden found the fault to be in the loom. Fully replaced no further issues.
I notice that there is no mention of manufacturers here, Bailey, Autosleeper or what?

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
Can I suggest that you call your breakdown service out on the pretext that it has gone wrong and they will plug into the diagnostic socket, then ask them for the results so when you go to your dealer you can talk with some conviction.
I did just that last year when I called Peugeot Assistance. They sent the AA who arrived, plugged in his OBD reader and then said the AA machines were Not up to date enough to read the codes. He advised I make a run for home (40Miles) and if she went wrong again to call Peugeot again. You couldn’t make it up! That is when I first took it to the Peugeot workshop and my problems started.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I did just that last year when I called Peugeot Assistance. They sent the AA who arrived, plugged in his OBD reader and then said the AA machines were Not up to date enough to read the codes. He advised I make a run for home (40Miles) and if she went wrong again to call Peugeot again. You couldn’t make it up! That is when I first took it to the Peugeot workshop and my problems started.
Just shows how great and up to date the Shetland Isles are, that’s where we started having problems and amazingly, the breakdown contract guy for the AA turned up within 10 mins of our call out ,far faster than the AA Would on the mainland.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Modern vehicles are complex and not logical, I had a problem with the car putting the brake on when I was accelerating, took it back as still in warranty and it was a failed brake light bulb. Everything is connected now.

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
So it looks like most of you were right. The workshop confirmed it was a faulty brake light switch. However, a sensor has gone too. Parts have been ordered and will be fitted under warranty. Fingers crossed all will be well and we will be able to trust her again. Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Had this on my van just out of warranty unfortunately it was the abs pump - in addition to the light show the speedo had packed, up nothing logged in the ecu a change of pump at £1000 fixed the issue but that was after a lot of fault finding with abs sensors etc. When i took it to the dealer asked the question do you see this issue a lot and the answer was "never" went back to pick it up and there were 3 more boxers awaiting replacement pumps
You can get your ABS pump repaired with a warrantee for two or three hundred pounds and the process works really well.

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
OK, back to square one. Had brake light switch and sensor fitted and was assured all would be well. Drove home and fault re-appeared after 30 minutes. Called garage fuming. Lots of apologies but now got to take it back next week and leave it with them. The will to live has well and truly been lost now. Phoned original dealer (200 miles away) to vent my spleen but guess what-“no managers available”. Asked me to pop in to see if they can have a look. :mad: If I had any hair I would be tearing it out!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh dear. I feel your pain.
Persevere.....you’ll get there in the end,and try not to get too wound up,it’s not good for you.:(

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
OK, back to square one. Had brake light switch and sensor fitted and was assured all would be well. Drove home and fault re-appeared after 30 minutes. Called garage fuming. Lots of apologies but now got to take it back next week and leave it with them. The will to live has well and truly been lost now. Phoned original dealer (200 miles away) to vent my spleen but guess what-“no managers available”. Asked me to pop in to see if they can have a look. :mad: If I had any hair I would be tearing it out!
Add up your time and fuel costs and tell them when you bring it in you will want re-imbursing straight away and reserve the right to charge them further if they don’t get their act together. Also I would insist in taking a curtesy MH that you need as you are going away for a week (pre-arranged and cannot be cancelled) start costing them money and they will either sort right or sack their workshop guys, I would not call them mechanics or auto electrician .

good luck

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
Add up your time and fuel costs and tell them when you bring it in you will want re-imbursing straight away and reserve the right to charge them further if they don’t get their act together. Also I would insist in taking a curtesy MH that you need as you are going away for a week (pre-arranged and cannot be cancelled) start costing them money and they will either sort right or sack their workshop guys, I would not call them mechanics or auto electrician .
I might try that and see what they say. Sadly I think you are right on the people behind the scenes. They no longer investigate and fix things but now plug in their OBD readers then fit a new part.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sadly i think any sales order or contract you signed will state something like... only the cost of the repair bla de bla will be covered that consequential cost are not covered.

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
Latest news. Took her back to workshop today and left her with them. The manager called me this afternoon to say the same fault is showing and nothing else. They can’t find anything else wrong so they have compiled a file on the history of the problem and have sent it to Peugeot in France to see what they say. It should take about 4 working days I am told. We shall see .........:(

Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Hello St Ivian. Unforetunately I do not have any further suggestions for cures to your problem. However I do commiserate with you and hope that Peugeot France can come up with a solution quickly. Good luck Juggler

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
H
Last year, when our MH was only a couple of months old we had a problem with the ASR system. The light would come on intermittently and we would lose the hill assist facility. After a few trips to the Peugeot dealer we were told it was a problem in Boxers usually caused by pressing the accelerator and brake at the same time. The problem has now come back with a vengeance and now the light is on permanently. Also, every 30 miles or so the engine goes into limp mode meaning we just can’t trust it anymore. She is booked into another Peugeot branch because the first one can’t accept big vehicles now. If they don’t sort it for good this time, we may just get rid at a loss and give up the MH dream. Mrs St Ivian has threatened never to get in it again unless all is tip-top and, right now, we can’t even get to the next town without difficulty. So frustrating and sad.
How far are you from Taunton?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I am in Cambridgeshire so probably a couple of hundred miles.
I was thinking we have 4 Howards Peugeot dealerships. One is next to Howards Motorhomes (They have commercial ramps as well) All of them are now Gold Lion approved which is Peugeots level of excellence.
I also believe they are a Regional Technical Dealer which means if other Peugeot dealers can't sort a problem then it get's uplifted and delivered to us.

OP
OP
St Ivian
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for that Simon. If all else fails, I may take you up on that. In the meantime, the workshop have been told by Peugeot in France to replace the vehicle‘s ECU and some other bits. It sounds like it is a known problem, hence the quick answer from France. We are just awaiting delivery of the part which will be sometime next week all being well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back