Lorry Drivers HGV Licence HoldersBeware (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could just hang back . its not compulsory to over take every thing .
Yes cars too but they have a lot more room for error a truck on some roads almost fills the lane, swerving about often leads me to overtake them in the 3rd lane

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes cars too but they have a lot more room for error a truck on some roads almost fills the lane, swerving about often leads me to overtake them in the 3rd lane
Y not hold back let them overtake each other wats the hurry Andy. Or leave 10 min early

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's them damn supermarket trucks that limit to 50 for one. I drive in a manner to not slow anyone down and if I pass I do it quickly and I'm up to speed before changing lane. I'm happy to do truck speed most of the time but many are so overloaded they crawl along

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When renewing, insurance always ask about offences/fines/points anyway and an additional premium is always charged even for an SP30 - so that already happens. 6 month ban for using a phone is not the answer. Better enforcement and better education is......
Can't educate Pork Dave
The good drivers are fine but there are so many bad knights of the road these days.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
speed limits are usually a maximum not a minimum .
they werent designed for every one to be at the top end all the time .
i,m sure most truck drivers would pull out deliberately to hold you up now we know you dont like us going slow.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It's them damn supermarket trucks that limit to 50 for one. I drive in a manner to not slow anyone down and if I pass I do it quickly and I'm up to speed before changing lane. I'm happy to do truck speed most of the time but many are so overloaded they crawl along
That's your problem Andy u said ( u drive in a manner not to slow any one down) well the truck doing 50 mph is doing the speed limit set bye government. Take the limiter of it will go as fast as u like. There's my point no disrespect Andy people don't know wat there talking about. U should drive to the speed limit and wen u over take it's up to u not wat silly bollox thinks behind u.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I thought HGV's were limited to 56 actual 60 indicated? I believed that 50 limits are imposed by supermarkets on their vehicles as their choice not law

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Rubbish 60 mph is fast enough. If u can't wait a few seconds more your worse than a mobile fone then

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but the speed limit is a max its not law that we must all drive at the max speed limit.
we all have a choice .
when motorways were first built the minimum speed limit was 30mph . so if we wanted we could all travel happily at 35mph . the third lane is for smaller faster vehicles to use not trucks .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
is there a law that says trucks cant do it ?
i think there should be a law that says only trucks should be allowed to use m,ways .that way all the things we need moving around could get delivered with out cars and m,homes getting in the way.
there thats sorted that problem .

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.
Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:
  • are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them
  • fail to see road signs
  • fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
  • are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front
  • react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop
  • are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
  • feel more stressed and frustrated.
They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and other people.
Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Keep all the trucks in lane 1 :LOL: and compulsory to leave adequate braking distance .
That way they can all annoy each other at the speed of the slowest (y)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Most large haulers including supermarkets set the limiter at what ever is the most economical speed for that truck
Speed at 60 mph may return 8 MPG
Set at say 51 MPH may return 12 or 14 MPH
25 % saving on fuel bill possible
You tell me what they going to do
All company's are run by accountants
I know of one company that set theirs at what ever the manufactures state is best for max MPG for that model

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Keep all the trucks in lane 1 :LOL: and compulsory to leave adequate braking distance .
Spoken like a true non trucker.... Remember that Andy wen u order something for your motorhome next time.....:notworthy2:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

I thought HGV's were limited to 56 actual 60 indicated? I believed that 50 limits are imposed by supermarkets on their vehicles as their choice not law

As an ex trucker I feel sorry for them now, I used to cruise along at 60mph with 80mph available for overtakes.
Then came limiters from the EU, look on the back of a foreign truck and you will see three or four speeds, town, rural, dual, m/way and guess what, the highest is 56mph.

So we were all at 56 and then the EU decided that different weights should have different max speeds. So now it's 50/52/56 mph. As for actual and indicated they are both the same set up on a rolling road and computer every year. If you want to know your actual speed follow a lighter LGV and you will be doing 56mph. Tesco etc are on a fuel saving exercise and it works, remember the 44tonners are doing between 9 and perhaps 11 mpg. :Eeek:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
BACK to the OP it's all Geo's fault :LOL: If you want to keep your licence to drive however you like within the law then put the mobile away. You have been warned

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Spoken like a true non trucker.... Remember that Andy wen u order something for your motorhome next time.....:notworthy2:

......but that is what happens on the two lane motorways in Netherlands and Germany between certain hours - all HGV's restricted to lane 1 to smooth the traffic flow. It seems to work as well, unlike the stretch of the A14 where everyone simply ignores it. Not such a daft solution, though I'm certain that Andy's post was very firmly tongue in cheek. ;)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I just wish they'd use the loo at the services. The lorry parks stink of pi$$ Lazy barstewards can't be arsed to walk 100yds.. :)

Now that I do agree with
Just look at plastic bags in lay-bys
No on secound thoughts don't look :coffee:

There is no excuses for filth

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
......but that is what happens on the two lane motorways in Netherlands and Germany between certain hours - all HGV's restricted to lane 1 to smooth the traffic flow. It seems to work as well, unlike the stretch of the A14 where everyone simply ignores it. Not such a daft solution, though I'm certain that Andy's post was very firmly tongue in cheek. ;)

Witch in turn is a great idea untill a rapido owner is doing 45 Mph trying to get his euro box up to 32 MPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun