Lorry & Bus driving Licence Entitlement (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just had notice that I need a medical next month to continue to drive the heavy stuff. I used to drive an 11ton RV but I can't see me driving anything heavier than 7.5t for the foreseeable. But if I don't renew, will I lose it?

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Contact ‘Doctors on Wheels’ I have found them to be excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You might need your bus license one day. You might get back to the camp site and find grommets turned in to a wild bird park.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Yes..... you will lose it...... but you will still retain your C1 of E... till you are 70.... then medical and eye test every three years...

But with your C1 of E you can drive a combined weight IE RV and trailer up to 8.5 ton...

I think that is how it works..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
But if I don't renew, will I lose it?

You will lose it for now BUT you have not lost it forever (y)
ENTITLEMENT is the word..

I had exact same issue, My class 2 ran out after i missed my medical due to bad weather, I never got around to getting it done. Thinking I had now lost my HGV license that was it.
3 years later I suddenly thought, what if i want to rent or get a big RV..
Phone call to the licensing people, No problem "you have entitlement" just take the medical, do the forms, send the money..
Bingo was all renewed (y)(y)

Deleted User
Vocational licences can be renewed at anytime upon passing the appropriate medical (D4) if there are no other reasons for there loss.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Unless you have reason to suspect there maybe a reason you might fail said medical, then for the sake of £40 I'd do it just in case circumstances change.
As has been posted before I think, Doctors on Wheels have a reputation for not being too rigorous :rolleyes:.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I gave up my heavy goods when I finished work thinking I would loose it forever but have been told I could reapply for it subject to passing the medical.
Andy

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I too recommend DOW. The doctor could not have been more helpful. (still lost my C1 at 67 'cos of my Glaucoma). I passed the normal eyesight test with DOW but had to have a "special" test at Specsavers

Just do it Jim.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
After I retired I thought I would never need my class 1 licence so let the medical expire. Two years into my retirement I got a phone call from an old mate who had got the contract to deliver advertising boards to sporting venues around Europe and needed an occasional driver and would I be interested. A quick call to DVLA and a medical and it was reinstated. First job was the Heineken rugby cup in the south of France and on return to the football cup final in Cardiff. Following this came several F1 tours and golf tournaments. You never know just when you will need a licence entitlement. It is an entitlement and as long as you pass the medical it stays yours indefinitely.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Didn't realise you were nearly 70 Jim ... you're wearing (pretty) well ....! :imoutahere:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good Luck Jim, I hope you pass medical OK.
Can anyone advise as to what is checked at the medical please, obviously eyesight with specs on if required, and blood pressure maybe. But if you have no medical issues, such as heart problems or diabetes, Parkinson's or alike, then what are the questions that the GP asks you?
Thanks, good luck to all that need to take the test.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
About to go for medical this month to renew 70+ . The information is.... if you wish to RENEW entitlement for minibuses and/or medium size vehicles with a MAM weight of 3500/7500kg you must fill in application for lorry or bus license (D2) and provide a medical examination report (D4) filled in by a doctor and /or optician. Available from post offices that offer DVLA services (or by phoning dvla)
The D4 covers questions on the nervous system eg.
Seizures, epilepsy,Parkinson's,neurological disorders and vertigo,diabetes,psychiatric illness,cardiac and/or arterial disease, raised blood pressure and sleep apnoea!
In other words you have to be.
Fit as a Butchers....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
About to go for medical this month to renew 70+ . The information is.... if you wish to RENEW entitlement for minibuses and/or medium size vehicles with a MAM weight of 3500/7500kg you must fill in application for lorry or bus license (D2) and provide a medical examination report (D4) filled in by a doctor and /or optician. Available from post offices that offer DVLA services (or by phoning dvla)
Seizures, epilepsy,Parkinson's,neurological disorders and vertigo,diabetes,psychiatric illness,cardiac and/or arterial disease, raised blood pressure and sleep apnoea!

It cannot be that strict, I know of at least three large RV owners who are wheelchair users. I even sold one to a guy with one leg who I asked if he was licenced to drive it and he showed me his licence.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Good Luck Jim, I hope you pass medical OK.
Can anyone advise as to what is checked at the medical please, obviously eyesight with specs on if required, and blood pressure maybe. But if you have no medical issues, such as heart problems or diabetes, Parkinson's or alike, then what are the questions that the GP asks you?
Thanks, good luck to all that need to take the test.
Much depends on who the doctor is I think.
You will need to take a urine sample so that they can check for diabetes.
I had my recent medical done by my own medical practice and the doctor took almost 30 minutes. He was extremely thorough, which was good because I try not to darken his door more than absolutely necessary.
He listened to my heart, lungs etc. Checked joints and muscle strength, tested reflexes, weighed me plus loads of questions.
At the end he declared me to be alive and filled in the D4 form. :D(y)

Don't know if all doctors are so thorough but I suspect not.

Richard.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Much depends on who the doctor is I think.
You will need to take a urine sample so that they can check for diabetes.
I had my recent medical done by my own medical practice and the doctor took almost 30 minutes. He was extremely thorough, which was good because I try not to darken his door more than absolutely necessary.
He listened to my heart, lungs etc. Checked joints and muscle strength, tested reflexes, weighed me plus loads of questions.
At the end he declared me to be alive and filled in the D4 form. :D(y)

Don't know if all doctors are so thorough but I suspect not.

Richard.

How much did he lighten your wallet by???

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
How much did he lighten your wallet by???
Shhhh!
The check up was early November and I'm still awaiting the invoice.

When I had my first medical 3 years ago the receptionist first told me there would be no charge, which I thought was strange but very welcome. When I booked the medical they told me it would be £100 which had to be paid before making the appointment.
This time they told me £150 but just went ahead and made the appointment.
They say that what goes around comes around, or something like that.

Should I remind them????

Richard.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I had a medical at my GP Practice, to renew my Boatmasters Licence. The Doctor, whilst on the practice roster was not familiar to me. The medical took no time at all, 10 mins max, the rest of the next 20 minutes he spent telling me about how much he loved narrowboats and canals. Needless to say he still relieved me of £100 and that was over 10 years ago. :eek:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A colleague of mine only has one leg and he drives hgv daily

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
It cannot be that strict, I know of at least three large RV owners who are wheelchair users. I even sold one to a guy with one leg who I asked if he was licenced to drive it and he showed me his licence.
Just quoting from the Form :)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I am sure you have 10 years in which to renew before you lose your entitlement.
Unless it's changed recently.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I am sure you have 10 years in which to renew before you lose your entitlement.
Unless it's changed recently.
AFAIK there is no limit as regards entitlement.. I had a mate who lapsed his licence at 45 because the job he was in and re applied at 62 after his medical and now back driving and that was about 7 years ago.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Doctors on Wheels will get you through the medical and eye test............they're just not that thorough
.............worrying

If there is a next time I'll use my own doctor even if it costs more......

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Doctors on Wheels will get you through the medical and eye test............they're just not that thorough
.............worrying

I used D4Drivers and they were very thorough, certainly more than my GP and £50.00 compared to £150.00, it a no brainer

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
.............worrying

If it’s a medical to do your leisure activity the cost is up to you, but if it’s so you can go to work go for the cheapest as it’s just a tax on you to do your job. After all if it was really to do with safety it would be free.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
.............worrying

That's the reason I used our local medical practice.

When you are lucky enough to only see a doctor very occasionally it's good to have a thorough check up every now and again.
I thought the extra cost was worth it for peace of mind alone.

Richard.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That's the reason I used our local medical practice.

When you are lucky enough to only see a doctor very occasionally it's good to have a thorough check up every now and again.
I thought the extra cost was worth it for peace of mind alone.

Richard.
And why wouldn't the other systems give a thorough check up as in doctors on wheels or D4Drivers? I've had medicals by own GP, local medical centre and D4Drivers and the ONLY difference I've found is the cost.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
And why wouldn't the other systems give a thorough check up as in doctors on wheels or D4Drivers? I've had medicals by own GP, local medical centre and D4Drivers and the ONLY difference I've found is the cost.
Because, reading what others have said on here it would appear that the more mobile doctors aren't too thorough with their checks.
That would suit you if you just wanted to get your licence renewed with the minimum of fuss (which is what most of their customers want) but I looked on it as a personal MOT, therefore worth paying a bit extra for.
As I have never used a mobile doctors service I have absolutely no idea if they are more or less thorough.

Richard.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Because, reading what others have said on here it would appear that the more mobile doctors aren't too thorough with their checks.
That would suit you if you just wanted to get your licence renewed with the minimum of fuss (which is what most of their customers want) but I looked on it as a personal MOT, therefore worth paying a bit extra for.
As I have never used a mobile doctors service I have absolutely no idea if they are more or less thorough.

Richard.
So actually you're not in a position to compare really are you?
It's not only the mobile type doctors that may be efficient or inefficient but so can any doctor from any practice anywhere in the country

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back