Lorry & Bus driving Licence Entitlement (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Because, reading what others have said on here it would appear that the more mobile doctors aren't too thorough with their checks.
That would suit you if you just wanted to get your licence renewed with the minimum of fuss (which is what most of their customers want) but I looked on it as a personal MOT, therefore worth paying a bit extra for.
As I have never used a mobile doctors service I have absolutely no idea if they are more or less thorough.

Richard.

So actually you're not in a position to compare really are you?
It's not only the mobile type doctors that may be efficient or inefficient but so can any doctor from any practice anywhere in the country

My own experience, Doctors on Wheels:

Young lady (very pleasant) could not understand the D4 form, I helped to translate.

Blood pressure taken 3 times with different dates entered on the D4

The doctor turned up at the end, checked the D4, stamped and signed it.

I 'know' I'm fit to drive............is everyone that takes that medical............?

Next time I'd rather have a medical by someone that has treated me............. my GP, as @Clarky says - an MOT

The reason I used DoW was the speed at which they could do it - within a week

A 'medical' on its own cannot surely be the only decider on fitness to drive - a refresher driving test would make more sense

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A 'medical' on its own cannot surely be the only decider on fitness to drive - a refresher driving test would make more sense
How on earth would a refresher driving test be any good? How often, where and by whom? Most drivers (vocational licences) are far better than the person sat testing you.
I suppose it COULD be a good thing but just consider how many wagons on the road, how many testers you'd need plus, most of the major companies have in house driving assessors that are with the driver all day and that is far better than a tester being with them for an hour.
The previous company I worked for had an annual assessment on any vehicles you were likely to drive whilst in the company. Artics, rigids, fork lift, Moffett mounted and a yearly medical and they were far stricter than outside people. If you passed the company requirements then the outside ones were a piece of cake.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
How on earth would a refresher driving test be any good? How often, where and by whom? Most drivers (vocational licences) are far better than the person sat testing you.
I suppose it COULD be a good thing but just consider how many wagons on the road, how many testers you'd need plus, most of the major companies have in house driving assessors that are with the driver all day and that is far better than a tester being with them for an hour.
The previous company I worked for had an annual assessment on any vehicles you were likely to drive whilst in the company. Artics, rigids, fork lift, Moffett mounted and a yearly medical and they were far stricter than outside people. If you passed the company requirements then the outside ones were a piece of cake.

I meant refresher driving tests for all drivers............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Next time I'd rather have a medical by someone that has treated me............. my GP, as @Clarky says - an MOT
Last time I saw my GP for my medical, it was absolutely no different than D4Drivers. In fact, the D4Drivers doctor probably asked far more questions and was equally proficient in the examination.
Maybe you had a crap DOW and the young lady may have been an agency girl who was last minute. Many variables but I see my GP rarely but I'm not going to pay him £150.00 + when I can get a full requirement medical for £100.00 less. In fact, I can get a medical at the next village medical centre by a resident doctor (not someone draughted in) for £30.00 cash (no receipt) but has to be on a Saturday morning only. I may go for that doctor this next time.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How many test examiners would we need? It takes months to get a test in the first place and the suggestion that 20 million + drivers need regular refresher driving tests is a logistical nightmare. It'd never happen. I can see you're suggestion but totally impractical.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
How many test examiners would we need? It takes months to get a test in the first place and the suggestion that 20 million + drivers need regular refresher driving tests is a logistical nightmare. It'd never happen. I can see you're suggestion but totally impractical.

Think positive !

.............so much more work/employment......a bureaucrat's dream.......

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Actually, on second thoughts, every driver has a licence issued for 5 years maximum and a refresher test must be taken to carry on driving and not being able to to get a test date before the anniversary is not an excuse to continue driving. Wonder how many more illegal drivers would we have?
What about visiting foreign drivers. Test before allowing on our roads unless they have had a refresher course in their own country within the last 12 months

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Think positive !

.............so much more work/employment......a bureaucrat's dream.......
Yeah, employ another 1/4 million examiners and then consider probably every 5 vehicles on the road will be under test conditions. Now there's how to slow traffic down

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yeah, employ another 1/4 million examiners and then consider probably every 5 vehicles on the road will be under test conditions. Now there's how to slow traffic down

............or make the roads safer...............personally I'd like to see traffic moving slower........what's the hurry?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
............or make the roads safer...............personally I'd like to see traffic moving slower........what's the hurry?
Well there's no hurry in my case but tell that to the millions of daily commuters. I think in a recent survey, the average speed around London was about 7.8 mph (and Manchester and Birmingham, slightly more at about 9.3 mph) from 19.3 mph just 5 years ago. Now put 1000's of drivers under test conditions in that mix. Laughable

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My first medical on reaching 70 was with my GP. The medical was reasonably thorough but the GP wasn't familiar with filling in the form and made quite a few mistakes which the DVLA subsequently returned to me. This involved another trip to the GP to get things sorted and return of forms to DVLA. The process took over 3 months to sort out.

This time I went with D4drivers at a cost of £50. The medical was thorough and the form filled in correctly. No brainer !!!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Well there's no hurry in my case but tell that to the millions of daily commuters. I think in a recent survey, the average speed around London was about 7.8 mph (and Manchester and Birmingham, slightly more at about 9.3 mph) from 19.3 mph just 5 years ago. Now put 1000's of drivers under test conditions in that mix. Laughable

Don't know about you but I see so much cr@p driving I wonder how some passed their test in the first place........

refresher tests.........................yes please!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't know about you but I see so much cr@p driving I wonder how some passed their test in the first place........

refresher tests.........................yes please!
Yes, I see loads every single day but refresher tests will not make them better drivers. They just have to be 'competent' for 15/20 minutes.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes, I see loads every single day but refresher tests will not make them better drivers. They just have to be 'competent' for 15/20 minutes.

But how can one test (in my case 55 years ago) really mean anything...........changing traffic conditions, vehicles....

55 years ago 70 mph was the maximum speed of most ordinary cars..........just before they blew up !!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
But how can one test (in my case 55 years ago) really mean anything...........changing traffic conditions, vehicles....

55 years ago 70 mph was the maximum speed of most ordinary cars..........just before they blew up !!
So actually, you've just answered your own argument. You've changed and adapted to the changing patterns of road transport.
I agree, 55 years ago 70 mph was the maximum speed, and just I'm case you're not up to date, 70 mph is STILL the maximum speed.
If you feel that you aren't competent to drive in today's traffic, then stop driving and/or contact a local school of motoring and ask for further instruction.
I can't quote the figures but there are more accidents with younger, (18-25) drivers and increasing more with newly qualified drivers (under 2 years) than ever before.
I do understand what you're suggesting but it's totally impractical, plus if everyone underwent a regular test, they'd think they're the best driver in the country and against standards would drop.
Ask any Instructors or Examiner and they'll tell you that the Driving Test isn't to prove that you can drive but that you can pass the test. It's only after passing the test that you learn to drive.
Anyway @Barclaybasher, as stimulating and riveting as this debate is, it's pointless because it's never going to happen and I for one, and i'm confident most people on here consider themselves competent enough to adapt to the ever changing way we need to drive and keep up to date with the latest in the upper speed limits, so you're never going to agree or concede any points because your argument change more than the weather, so I'll bid you au revoir and enjoy the rest of your day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back