Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
hi,just had a great 10 day break at carradale bay caravan club site,i have noticed my peugeot boxer 1.9 turbo wayfarer was loosing power on the many steep hillls in that area,i was going to put my m/h in for a service and tune up,can anyone sudgest what could be causing the loss of power on the hills no problems one the flat ,thanks in advance:Doh::Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jabbaman.

You mention no loss of power elsewhere so doesn't sound like turbo/boost pressure loss. Any noticeable increase in smoke emissions?Might be injectors but I doubt it.

You don't mention rise in revs so can rule out clutch slip....

When hill climbing, unless gears are used fully and revs are kept up, the turbo will not spin so freely and give the necessary boost.Diesels are very torquey low down but need the boost to achieve the power.

A tune up/service may help but a lot of people swear by engine mapping of the ecu.

Might be worth looking at the cost/practicalities of this.

Steve.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Forget remapping as yours doesn't have an ECU to remap:winky:. How do you know it isn't down on power on the flat? Surely you're just not having to plant the loud pedal until you hit a hill? Get the service done and tell the garage doing it that its down on power, chances are new oil and filter, fuel filter and air filter will make a difference. Bear in mind the 1.9 TD was never an exciting motor to start with.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jabbaman1

jabbaman1

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the promp replies,it's definetly not the clutch slipping,my m/h will sit at 55/60,its when hit a hill i have to change down the gears ,some of the hills going to carradale bay i lost that much power i had change down to first gear, ithink i'll put my m/h in for service and tune up before my next outing,thanks again for the replies,I wanted to know if this was a serious problem because i'm thinking of spending money on my m/h i.e.upholstery and satelite dish rather than upgrade to a newer m/h:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
problem could be.......1.9ltr engine

my 2.8ltr struggles on some gradients going over the pennines, often having to change as low as third to maintain around 45mph max.
usually after being stuck behind, then overtaking, HGV's

OP
OP
jabbaman1

jabbaman1

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
can a bigger engine be put in the m/h and if so how expensive would it be,thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could, but it would mean a new engine, gearbox, drive shafts, hubs, engine/gearbox mountings, exhaust and a myriad of other things..including a fully equipt workshop..not worth contemplating really.

OP
OP
jabbaman1

jabbaman1

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
thanks pappajohn for your down to earth answer,i'll stick with service and filters thanks again ,jabbaman:whatthe::whatthe::thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
i too would suggest that the engine is underpowered significantly for ANY motorhome conversion.
We had the newer 2-0 in our old van 2003 model. Until it was remapped I was going to get rid because on hills, lorries would flash their lights at me as I was that slow.

However, it does the job, it gets you there, allbeit a little more slowly.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Your symptoms are similar to those I've had recently (albeit in a Ford, not a Peugeot) but I hope you don't get the same answer from the garage. After a lot of testing and deliberation, they diagnosed a faulty fuel pump. I am waiting for a new one to be fitted - and it's not cheap :cry:

OP
OP
jabbaman1

jabbaman1

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006