Looks like the EU are dropping the 10 years only rule Re U.K. passports (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
According to THIS article and THIS second article in today’s Spanish news it appears the European Commission are advising border controls we can travel with our extended time passports. I recalled seeing something the other day in the U.K. news the Government were talking to the EU about this issue given our recent passport office problems.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Where did you read that in these articles. It is all about U.K. passport holders no longer being restricted by the 10 year + extra months added, rules anymore

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure the EU are looking at allowing us to use those extra months added to the passports as I’ve just read the Belgium Travel Advice that has come on my U.K. email alert today. This excerpt is what it says Re the passport requirements and does not allow the extra months to be used. I wonder if other countries will apply the same or will it be a pic & mix, doubt it. Unless I am reading this completely wrong ☹️

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel​

Passport validity​

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

• Issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)
You must check your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

Contact the embassy of the country you are visiting if you think that your passport does not meet both these requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Same info re France. My interpretation is that the extensions are now irrelevant given that a passport issued more than 10 years ago cannot be used:

As of today's date, 13/05 ..

If your passport was issued before 13/5/2012 you can't use it, irrespective of when it expires.
If your passport expires before 12/8/2022 you can't use it.
If your passport expires on 12/9/2022 you can go for a month.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Same info re France. My interpretation is that the extensions are now irrelevant given that a passport issued more than 10 years ago cannot be used:

If your passport was issued before 13/5/2012 you can't use it, irrespective of when it expires.
My interpretation is the same.
In effect it means a 10 year passport has a 'life' of 9.5 years

Pre Brexit a ten year passport had a life of a minimum of ten years plus whatever outstanding time (that you had paid for) was taken from your old passport.

It means that my 2018 issued passport, valid until 2029 (a month short of 11 years) can not actually be used after 2027

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My interpretation is the same.
In effect it means a 10 year passport has a 'life' of 9.5 years

Pre Brexit a ten year passport had a life of a minimum of ten years plus whatever outstanding time (that you had paid for) was taken from your old passport.

It means that my 2018 issued passport, valid until 2029 (a month short of 11 years) can not actually be used after 2027
& before EU rules the passport only had a validity for use of 9,5 years so the uk is going back to what it had previously.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Not sure about the last 'interpretation' - my understanding is that it must have at least six months validity when presenting it to border control - of course i could be wrong in my interpretation

when a passport is issued are the 'crossover dates' added to your new passport or simply 'lost' and the passport is issued woth a ten year validity from the date it is issued, which would seem a simpler process - mine is due for renewal in feb next year, so i will be applying around September, when we return from our trip, although i will do some quick research on travel dates etc, so i dont get caught out

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Not sure about the last 'interpretation' - my understanding is that it must have at least six months validity when presenting it to border control - of course i could be wrong in my interpretation

when a passport is issued are the 'crossover dates' added to your new passport or simply 'lost' and the passport is issued woth a ten year validity from the date it is issued, which would seem a simpler process - mine is due for renewal in feb next year, so i will be applying around September, when we return from our trip, although i will do some quick research on travel dates etc, so i dont get caught out

It says 'valid for 3 months after your departure date' - if you're in Scengen for 90 days, then yes, 6 months ... if there for a month, then four months from time of entry.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It says 'valid for 3 months after your departure date' - if you're in Scengen for 90 days, then yes, 6 months ... if there for a month, then four months from time of entry.
thats even more confusing .... though i have found that people sometimes write thing in a specific or cryptic way to show they are correct - i thought it was much simpler - ie you must have a minimum of six months left on your passport when you present to border control ...

all i wanted was simple answer ...

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
thats even more confusing .... though i have found that people sometimes write thing in a specific or cryptic way to show they are correct - i thought it was much simpler - ie you must have a minimum of six months left on your passport when you present to border control ...

all i wanted was simple answer.
Respectfully, I'm not sure why this is complicated - you say cryptic, I say simple. The whole point of the royandsharont's post was to highlight that the OP does not reflect the published UK GOV guidelines. It's no longer six months, nor can we use the extensions.

Look at the date you are returning to the UK. Look at the date your passport expires, if the latter is 3 months or more after the former, you're OK.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
But what happens if you don't have a return journey booked,? Which is why I am confused and thought the passport validity would be checked against your arrival not your departure?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
But what happens if you don't have a return journey booked,? Which is why I am confused and thought the passport validity would be checked against your arrival not your departure?
As you can stay a max of 90 days, therefore the validity would need to be 6 months minimum from your departure date

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
As you can stay a max of 90 days, therefore the validity would need to be 6 months minimum from your departure date
which is what i thought it was, with the slight caveat, that when i use the term arrival, i mean when you arrive at border control to enter the country you are 'arriving at' as opposed to 'departing from'

when you pass through UK border control they check your passport to see if it is in force on the day, i dont suppose they care if it only has a month left on it, so long as it is a 'legal document and relates to the person using it' - and i thought that when you get to border control at the country you are arriving at, they will also check it relates to the person travelling AND they will also check if it is valid for at least 6 months and not more than 10 years.

i say tomatoes .....

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
which is what i thought it was, with the slight caveat, that when i use the term arrival, i mean when you arrive at border control to enter the country you are 'arriving at' as opposed to 'departing from'

when you pass through UK border control they check your passport to see if it is in force on the day, i dont suppose they care if it only has a month left on it, so long as it is a 'legal document and relates to the person using it' - and i thought that when you get to border control at the country you are arriving at, they will also check it relates to the person travelling AND they will also check if it is valid for at least 6 months and not more than 10 years.

i say tomatoes .....
Try arriving at the UK border with a non-UK passport with less than 6 months validity. You will be on the next flight home. The same goes for virtually every country in the world. With the exception of Schengen and other Common Travel areas.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
In theory, if you are a British Citizen then you will be allowed into the UK even if your passport has expired. You will probably be taken aside and asked a few questions though🤣

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.

i say tomatoes .....
Assuming you're going to Europe for the full 90 days, given that 3 months there + 3 months after the date of return = 6, then yes it needs 6 months on it.

If someone is going for 1 month, then 1 month there +3 months after the date of return = 4 months.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
when a passport is issued are the 'crossover dates' added to your new passport or simply 'lost' and the passport is issued woth a ten year validity from the date it is issued, which would seem a simpler process
Now they are lost
mine is due for renewal in feb next year, so i will be applying around September, when we return from our trip, although i will do some quick research on travel dates etc, so i dont get caught out
It will be dated from when you apply.
Mine would have run out early march next year. If I got delayed leaving the Uk in early september then it would have less than 6 months on it by a few days.Even though I live here & would not be "returning" to the UK it is still a requirement that I have to have 6 months on it to enter the EU.
Also even though in theory once I have used the passport to "exit" the uk passport check I can use my " ID " card to enter the EU. I 'll see what happens with that when i do it.
So with the passport I decided it was safer to renew from here a year early than get stuck in the uk attempting a summer renewal & having a wait if there was delays..
In theory, if you are a British Citizen then you will be allowed into the UK even if your passport has expired. You will probably be taken aside and asked a few questions though🤣
correct. a lot of questions though & after yoiu have educated them on the fact that a British citizen doesn't need one to enter..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back