Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We are lucky enough to be taking a year off work starting next spring. One of the countries we are looking to have a drive round is Norway. We have a tag axle unit with a 5000KG weight. looking for any Funsters with similar weight vehicle who have travelled around Norway and especially up to the Arctic Circle around May/June to help advise re route and costs for the tolls/bridges with due regard to the size of the unit.
When out and about this Summer bumped into a few travellers who gave me some info about the bridges and even quoted in excess of 150 euro on some of them. If anybody has done the Sweden route again any info would be much appreciated.
Looking forward to any help

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Sweden/Finland you will be fine with no tolls
Norway - we have driven up Arctic Highway from Bergen - yes there were some ferries and tunnels - the costs weren't excessive as we were under 3.5 ton and under 7 meters - Oslo has automatic system and send you an invoice - OK you will pay more with your van and can do some research to know what you might pay - I am sure people will give you more accurate advice -
Enjoy Norway - just keep quiet how good it is -

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi I went and done Sweden Norway Finland last year mid may to mid July did not use bridge Deark/Sweden as to expensive over 3.5 t and 10m long. Used the ferry Trevamunder to Malmo very cheap £105 one way and same coming home went right up through middle of Sweden and popped out into Norway at the very top as tolls and ferries were going to be far to much. Went right up to the top of Norway and right across at top to Russian border then into Finland then back into Sweden and home. Norway very expensive for food and fuel and beer so kept popping back into Sweded and Finland for fuel and food. Bread was about £3.50 a loaf and fuel was about £1.70 ltr in Norway so always topped up in Sweded/Finland saved quite a bit. Plenty of LPG if needed as well in top of Norway. Fantastic views and fabulous scenery in top of Norway breath taking.
Best of luck and enjoy. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi also did southern Norway last spring, by way of amsterdam then northern denmark to kristiansand.
the price of sites wasnt cheap if I remember correctly, 20 ish pounds and if you catch them in their peak season think it was around 100 for a couple nights at the end of my trip in kristiansand. Having said that you can overnight anywhere as long as you are not disturbing anyone and its not hard to find some beautiful spots.
more and more automatic toll stations popping up not just in towns and I did eventually get the bill a month or so after returning home but again not that expensive. .
one day I hope to return in the van(which is much smaller than yours at under 6m ) and get to the north cape.
hope you have a fantastic trip...its a stunning country.
ta andy

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We went there in May and June this year.........it is one of the most enjoyable trips we have had!

I can not really help you regarding tolls etc other than to say the cost per toll for a van your size is between 3 and 5 times that of a van under 3500kg or under 6 metres.

It is as others have already said VERY expensive, but we are glad we went and actually for us is the best country yet.

I have put the link to my blog for Norway if you are interested. It was meant for friends and family so please do not expect too much:)

http://wolfydoesscandawegia.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks chockswahay, I have read through your Blog a few weeks back and found it most interesting and gave us several ideas for the trip. I just would like to get an idea of a route so that I can get alook at bthe tolls and bridges.Don,t want to spend an arm and a leg to get there PS hows France

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You're welcome. France was very nice, we are back now and on our way home to Scotland.

Most of the tolls and ferries in Norway are (obviously) on the coast so it depends on which way you want to go. If your plan is to get to the North then you would be best to drive up through toll free Sweden:)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're planning a trip to Norway but are waiting until September as you are unlikely to see the. Northern Lights during the Summer as it's daylight most of the time. Plenty of good advice on Tripadvisor too from local experts

Regards
Robert

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Also a slim chance in September, and the days get too short beyond this....

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You are unlikely to see them in September too :(
Dohhh! We were told we might see them in Bodo. Were going to park the van and fly there from Trondheim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back