Looking to build a low loader box van camper conversion (1 Viewer)

dinosawus

Free Member
Nov 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2020
Hello, has anyone done a successful campervan conversion of a low loader box van. I can find plenty of examples of Luton/Box van conversions but not on a low loader chassis commonly used for deliveries of small goods such as food, like an Ocado van. The low loader gives advantages of lower ground height for entering the habitation area and high ceiling height for taller people without the overall height of the vehicle being very high like some box vans. It also has the other advantages of a normal box van, straight walls and some level of existing insulation without being too wide.

Some areas of doubt I would have are 1. are the walls strong enough to support any internal additions such as bed frames and tables etc or would they need reinforcement with wood or steel framing. 2. If you keep the rear double doors as is for access and view, what is the locking mechanism like on those and how would you open and lock from the inside. Probably needs a custom internal locking mechanism. 3. is the existing insulated panel actually good enough as thermal insulation or would you need further insulation on the interior. 4. Most have a translucent plastic roof which is waterproof but offers no insulation or strength. What would be the best way to line the ceiling to add strength and protection? Build an internal wooden frame and use insulation materials and panels to finish.

Thanks for any advice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Better to keep replies on the other identical thread here:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back