Looking into 'fulltimer' lifestyle (1 Viewer)

Peter the great

Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Looking at options
Exp
Newbie researching
Hi all, I am in my early fifties and have just about recovered financially from an expensive divorce 7 years ago. I now live alone in one bedroom rented flat with few possessions. I work full-time in a good job, have no kids and I like living alone. Last year while on a visit to Cornwall I bumped into a retired chap living virtually full time in a van type motorhome (sorry about terminology). We had a lengthy chat and his lifestyle appealed to me. I don't intend to retire for at least ten years but I am attracted to the minimalist, nomadic lifestyle. In a very basic way I see little difference between living in a one bedroom flat or a motorhome.

I have joined this forum to start more in depth research so any and all information is welcome. Many thanks

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Peter, with a bit of planning you can definitely live a lot cheaper in a van that in a house. Its not without it's problems but nothing not easily overcome. There are a LOT of people doing precisely what you want to do and quite a few of those are members here. (y)

Best of luck in this new life chapter (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is a huge difference, living in you own MH is exciting, freedom.

There are drawbacks but there are in your flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Greetings PTG.

I separated and moved into my van of the day.

I lived on my own very, very, very happily in a self converted panel van, out on the road (not using sites), mostly around Bath, for twenty years.

Summer in Blighty working, winter in the sun, trying (with difficulty) to spend it all...

I adore minimilist living and am still doing it now.

Thouroughly, thoroughly recommended (for those with the right personality).

Check the bottom of my signature... ;)

JJ :cool:

PS. There are MASSIVE differences between living in a van and a (rented or otherwise) flat... the van is far, far, far better... more flexible... less expensive... more variety... more freedom... more privacy... more practically everything.

Last edited:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi Peter...

I've just joined that club... "Full timing"... Similar situation to @JJ and @ianthebuilder .... Happened to me as recently as April ....

I'm liking it :) and I'm only a young 56 ... Not materialistic and hate the rat race way of life :)

There is lots of advice (and support) on here... It's like a big extended "piss taking" family :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Peter, what have you got to loose, you can always go back to renting if it's not for you, so many people are doing it now and would not think of going back. I would recommend that you join the forum as a full member £15 a year, with that you have any information you want at the click of a finger . Good luck in your research and ask as many questions as you want.
:welcomesign:

Reactions: JJ

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You do need an income from somewhere, and spend accordingly.
You can wildcamp in some lovely spots, equally I enjoy a campsite and temp holiday sites.
But there is still food, gas, fuel and running costs of the mh to include.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been living in a panel van for over 7 years now. My only regret... I didn't do it sooner.
Living in a flat and living in a van both have their advantages/disadvantages, you just need to find out which set of advantages/disadvantages you find it easier to cope with.

I was only going to do this for 2 years, but ended up selling my house and now have no plans of going back to bricks and mortar.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I have been living in a panel van for over 7 years now. My only regret... I didn't do it sooner.
Living in a flat and living in a van both have their advantages/disadvantages, you just need to find out which set of advantages/disadvantages you find it easier to cope with.

I was only going to do this for 2 years, but ended up selling my house and now have no plans of going back to bricks and mortar.
I just read your Blog there, it made for some great reading :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just read your Blog there, it made for some great reading :)
I have not done as much on it as I should to be honest. I only get about 1% of the stuff on there that I would like to.

However next year I will be making a start on a new self build van which I will document every night (well that is my goal)...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
what are you in atm then ? are you still in your 3rd vehicle ?
Yes, Still in 3rd one. Eura 1st, Then the Bus (Optare Metro rider) now Fiat Ducato.

I have my eye on an Iveco XLWB for the next conversion. I am thinking of getting a slightly older one and just doing a rough conversion so I can get the plans right. Will use this until I can afford a fairly new one and do a high quality conversion using the layout I plan in the older one. That one will have to last me 10 years+..

I have rebuilt this one about 5+ times and it is the last thing you want to be doing when you live in it :(

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am thinking of getting a slightly older one and just doing a rough conversion so I can get the plans right.

Bear in mind I have the Black Beauty (1996 Iveco Turbo Daily) complete for spares, Karl. The running gear is excellent... new complete clutch... brakes... engine is very sweet etc etc.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, Still in 3rd one. Eura 1st, Then the Bus (Optare Metro rider) now Fiat Ducato.

I have my eye on an Iveco XLWB for the next conversion. I am thinking of getting a slightly older one and just doing a rough conversion so I can get the plans right. Will use this until I can afford a fairly new one and do a high quality conversion using the layout I plan in the older one. That one will have to last me 10 years+..

I have rebuilt this one about 5+ times and it is the last thing you want to be doing when you live in it :(

I bet its a nightmare to live in, like when i read your blog and you said about the wood being varnished outside for 3 days due to the smell inside ,, lol never thought on the likes of that. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bear in mind I have the Black Beauty (1996 Iveco Turbo Daily) complete for spares, Karl. The running gear is excellent... new complete clutch... brakes... engine is very sweet etc etc.

I thought it was long gone JJ. No way of getting it to me, no where to store it and I don't like black :p Thanks for the offer though @JJ I really do appreciate it.

I bet its a nightmare to live in, like when i read your blog and you said about the wood being varnished outside for 3 days due to the smell inside ,, lol never thought on the likes of that. :)

It is only a problem if you are self builder AND a fulltimer. If you are only one of the two then you lose a lot of problems. However I prefer self builds so I get the layout I need :)

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter, we took the early retirement option a few years ago. We live about 10-12 months a year in the motorhome and then spend a 1-2 months in the UK. We love the freedom to travel and mainly do wild camping...to keep costs low but also because we like the open space. We try and blog daily just to show where we are and what life is like plus the costs involved. Here is our blog http://ourbumble.com and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I find it hard to understand why any single person, especially a male, would WANT to live in a flat/house. I take in boarders/guests/homeless persons, and always advise persons, even my children, to get a camper or van and live in it, rather than paying rent. Or get a caravan and pitch up on site. Its still cheaper than paying rent and bills.

The van/camper would have paid for itself after a few years, and you still have an asset to sell, or upgrade.

For years I have been mostly sleeping in my van, so I can enjoy sea views. Finally it made financial sense to rent out my room as well, and move my few remaining possessions into my van. Even when I do have vacant rooms, I don't use the room, as Im more at home in my van.

Its more common than people think. A lot of men have a plain van with no windows, so no one knows they are living in it. I once met a man who lives in his van, in central London!!!

you might encounter problems if you decided to go back to living in a flat/house. Ive tried to reverse my living arrangements to keep the kids happy, but I wasn't happy. Another problem you might encounter, is a future partner. Many single men in their 50/60 living full time in their van, especially if they wildcamp, find it difficult to attract a partner. The most common reasons being at that age, is the grandkids, baby sitting, part time job, settled in their community with family nearby etc.

If I had grandkids I would put in more effort to readjust my living arrangements. Until then, I don't see why I have to stay indoors and look at 4 walls.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back