Looking for the best / nearest aire for christmas (1 Viewer)

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi we have decided to go skiing for Christmas and new year, any tips for a decent aire or camp site. Must have ski school nearby for my little boy and must be able to take a camper of 8.7 meters

Thanks matt

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Alpe d huez has ski schools and a large aire. Bugger of a drive up those bends to get to it. Aire lovely- seems secure and popular but does not have ehu I think - short walk to ski area from it . We go a lot ( but not in van in winter) have walked round aire several times

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Montgenevre has a massive aire (280 places) next to the slopes. 10 Euro / day including EHU. Haven't stayed on it but I've been to the resort for the past 6 six years and look at the aire with envy as a pass over it in the chair lift. Montgenevre is a good intermediate resort with ski schools and lots of "beginner friendly" runs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Either Montgenevre or Alpe d'Huez would take a larger van. I don't think the drive up to AdH is that bad as coaches do it all the time and it's well cleared - just try and do it when it's not snowing!! Ski schools at both. No Ehu at AdH - you need solar panels and a generator. We have spent long periods at both, including the last 2 Christmases but sadly there was barely any snow that early. La Plagne might be better snow wise and lots of ski schools but the Aire (with EHU ) may be very full.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Montgenevre has a massive aire (280 places) next to the slopes. 10 Euro / day including EHU. Haven't stayed on it but I've been to the resort for the past 6 six years and look at the aire with envy as a pass over it in the chair lift. Montgenevre is a good intermediate resort with ski schools and lots of "beginner friendly" runs.

I'm not a skier but have stopped at the Montgenevre aire a few times as it's our preferred crossing point into Italy. It's not only huge but the service point is also fully winterised, based around an insulated wooden hut. It's a little way out of town but not beyond walking distance. There's a few hairpins on the last bit between Briançon and Montgenevre but the road is of our 'A' road quality and large trucks use it. The road up from the Italian side at Claviere is better, but you'd have to take the Frejus tunnel to Oulx, which would add to your costs.

If you go to Chamonix there's an aire in the town's main car park, close to lifts etc, and within easy walking distance of the town centre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Chamonix would't be the best choice for a child I don't think though ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back