Looking for the Alternator (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
Since 2003 camping in works vans
Hi, we have a LHD 2003 integra hb690 on a fiat 2.8tdi base, that has some alternator related issues.
Could anyone point me to where the alternator is located? My hunch is to the bottom right as you look forward, under where the battery is, and this would confirm that the intermitant screaching noise is coming from the alternator (serpentine) belt.
The problem at the moment is that we are getting a charging voltage (13.8v) to the engine battery, but only very rarely is this also coming to the leisure batteries. I believe this means that the alternator is working but there is a connection fault between the alternator and the leisure batteries. Is this correct? or could a poor engine battery stop the alternator sending current back to the leisure batteries?
So, where is the alternator? What does the cable from the alternator look like and where is it routed?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I think the nearest town is in Russia, so I could do with working this out!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Appears to be a split charge fault.
The alternator isn't connected directly to the leisure battery, its connected through a relay either under the bonnet or electronically in the control panel. The alternator appears to be working normally, but does sound as though the belt is slipping and needs replacing.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The alternator is as you say on right hand side.
If you get under the van behind the right front wheel and look up and forwards it’s above the cross member (I can get under my van without jacking it up) the screeching belt probably needs adjusting, photos below to help show adjusting screew
A8A0D23A-E176-42C8-B7CF-6EEA46D1D401.jpeg
CE77C7E3-AC3D-4B39-ACCB-C56E33833978.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Em and Tim
Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
Since 2003 camping in works vans
Thanks for this, it has allowed me to get under Mouse (our van), locate the belt which is pretty tight still, and realise that the nuts/bolts that adjust it are as good as seized. With it working, but making a noise, I think I shall leave it till we have her in at a garage to get it sorted by a professional.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the leisure battery connection is usually via the engine battery. There should be a fuse on this connection which might be worth checking.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It could be that the belt is not tight enough , especially when the extra load from a discharged leisure battery is added it is also possible with serp belts the pulley or belt wears in grooves and does not seat properly on the sides which is where the drive takes place . The other slight possibility is that the alternator is on its way to seizing up, which they can do .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The belt on my Renault was nice and tight thanks to the spring loaded automatic tensioner, but it started squealing, especially on start up. I bought a new belt, reasoning, at it's mileage, it had probably never been changed. The motor factor's gave me a freebie Gate's belt profile checker and that confirmed that the poly vee's were indeed worn down. The new belt sorted it.
20191006_130836.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back