Looking for our 1st motorhome...help please (1 Viewer)

83SY

Free Member
May 26, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
zero
Hi. new to the forum :thumb:

looking for our 1st family motorhome! 4 berth min' with two extra seat travel belts as we have two girls 6&4yrs.

I have been looking at my local dealer and we liked the look of a 2011 SWIFT 590RS they had in stock. 20ft with 100BHP chain driven 2.2 Fiat engine with only 5000miles on the clock.

The vehicle is priced at £31995... i see similar homes private for 28-29k but buying dealer we would get 12mths warranty, service & MOT + 6months TAX in the deal. The dealer also includes a new TV/DVD combo & the home is already fitted with a towbar which i need.

I was hoping for the 130bhp model but the dealer has offered to upgrade the 100 to 120bhp through a re map? not sure about these re maps???

Im hoping someone may have this model and be able to advise me.

Many thanks

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi and welcome to fun. My bro in law has this model. He really likes it. ..I have the same engine in a bigger van remaped and pull a car occasionally with no problems. Only thing I would make sure of is the layout is correct and will work for you in winter and summer to get the best use out of it

OP
OP

83SY

Free Member
May 26, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
zero
Thank you for your reply :thumb:

How long has your brother had the 590RS? any niggles?

Love the layout, simple but suits us and the kids love the luton/top bunk!

Was wondering also on price? 31k maybe planning to keep 4/5yrs and get a newer model, what would you expect to loose & is 31k a fair price for 2011 with 5000miles?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can push the dealer on the price - same as buying a used car you never ever pay the price on the windscreen. He will have room to move to get the sale.

OP
OP

83SY

Free Member
May 26, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
zero
:thumb: They are suggesting knocking £995 off so 31k with all the extras listed above.

Hard to find a values guide for motorhomes

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thank you for your reply :thumb:

How long has your brother had the 590RS? any niggles?

Love the layout, simple but suits us and the kids love the luton/top bunk!

Was wondering also on price? 31k maybe planning to keep 4/5yrs and get a newer model, what would you expect to loose & is 31k a fair price for 2011 with 5000miles?

My bro in law mark has had it about 3 years from memory. . Never had a problem he had to get special dispensation from swift as he carries two sea kayaks on the roof for warranty purposes.

It's amazing how quick kids grow up though. Mine shared the Luton at first when we started they were the same age as yours. We had side bunks and a Luton that worked for us. ..

Go and enjoy it I say. . Have a look through my early blog to see how much fun you can have with a mh and kids. .:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

83SY

Free Member
May 26, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
zero
another question i had was regarding towing weights...?

The dealer said the vans chassis plate shows a towable weight of 2000kgs...but the swift brochure says 1150kgs for the 100bhp model and 1500kgs for the 130bhp model.

So does this means the chassis is fine & with a re map I could tow my trailer/car cica 1300/1400kgs?

:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Swift have had more than there fair share of damp problems.. a van that age may well be hiding potentially expensive repair problems.. Google it .. or search on here..

The dealer won't admit it.. so, if you feel confident, take a damp test meter and go over it thoroughly.. especially along the lower walls and floor near the wheel arches., also around the windows and rooflights..
If not, have it tested by an independant company. A small price to pay when you are spending £30k

Find any damp.. simply walk away.. don't haggle, don't accept a reduction or a promise to put it right, no excuses... .. just walk.. there are plenty of dry vans..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back