Looking for first motorhome... (1 Viewer)

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

I only just joined this evening and looking forward to some useful guidance.

We are now actively searching for our first MH and need to know a if I can achieve what I need to for the budget we are looking to spend....:unsure:

We are a family of 6. Me, my wife, a 14YO, a 12YO, a 2YO and a 1YO - so am assuming a 6 birth is the minimum requirement (although I also guess my eldest daughter won't join us a lot!!)

Do you guys think a MH of that size can be found for around £4500?

I appreciate that it will be a LOT older model and could benefit from some cosmetic updating, but do you think its achievable?

If not at the minute, do you think it's better to wait until later in the year?:unsure:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Personally, I think you'll find it challenging to locate a 6-berth motorhome (with 'proper' seatbelts for six) within your budget. But I guess the first place to start looking is on eBay. Just put 'motorhome' in the search and then put £4,500 (or £5,000 to leave scope for negotiation) as your maximum price and see what you can find.

Good luck.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
best bargains are always to be found in the of season

Thats what we thought mitzimaid, but it would be a shame to lose out on this summer... Should have done this last Christmas I guess.. (n)

Is there any good places to look other than the usual Ebay and Gumtree?

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
You could contact some of the bigger dealers, they often take in 'older' Mh's in park ex......and don't want them cluttering up their nice shiney forecourts, so some of them pass them on to other, smaller dealers...........that's how I managed to find my Hymer :).

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you know about motors there are auctions that sell mhs, I know measham sell them don't know about others

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and welcome to the best forum ever. You'll find all the help and answers here, you just need to ask the right question :)

Good luck with the search and hope you find your dream in time for some of this years sunshine :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Possible. But you have to be very careful that you are not buying a load of trouble.

Look very very carefully for wet timber. That is a real bank breaker.

Thanks very much Hilldweller (y)

It's a minefield out there for sure.

I found a 2001 'Y' reg Swift Kontiki 6 berth on Ebay for £4400 today and asked a few questions of the seller... Just after that it disappeared from Ebay and the seller contacted me direct in very broken English asking me only to email him to discuss buying it.....:rolleyes: Needless to say I blocked him.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Merle, could I ask you how you intend to use the MH? Ie, will you go on campsites for a week at a time or more, or will you travel around every couple of days or so?

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You already seem pretty clued up after the ebay contact...
The web is full of scams !!! Take care, never part with a penny until you are there with the van...

Not a big budget but there will be something out there, as mentioned be wary of damp motorhomes.
Maybe £20 or so on a damp meter would be your next best investment.
Be aware of seatbelt rules and weights, older vans will often be rated lower and have less payload, carrying 5/6 people (even kids) all adds up...

Good luck,,
ps.. On Facebook ??? https://www.facebook.com/groups/610527115641833/

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm - but I think you need to at least quadruple your budget for what you want.
That said - I wish you well and welcome!

Unless your first post was a typo and you meant £45,000 in which case fill ya boots!!!

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you and the older children could sleep in a tent or awning you might have more choice of vehicles with enough seatbelts

Glad you didn't get caught by the scammers

If you can't view it and it seems too cheap and (especially at this time of the year) it's probably a scam
Welcome and good luck(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Merle, could I ask you how you intend to use the MH? Ie, will you go on campsites for a week at a time or more, or will you travel around every couple of days or so?

I think probably a mixture of the two Minx. With the scenery and available options in the Highlands, it would seem a shame to stay in one place - although you may suggest otherwise ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Might sound daft, but do prices reduce the smaller the MH?

i.e. is a 4 berth invariably cheaper than a 6 berth?

Also, when would you guys consider 'Off Season' when the prices drop?

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Seat belts and payload are the major players........ have you thought about a self-build?

Not a lot of budget I'm afraid.....

Thinking aloud here......

Maybe a people carrier with seats that will fold flat to make a big bed plus a couple of tents or the type of awnings that go onto a tailgate? Another bed for the small children can be made with a board across the front seats. We had a Toyota Hi-Ace bus conversion that we used like this for many years - no loo of course and cooking was done on a camp kitchen outside but the Hi-Ace had the benefit of 8 belted seats and a big boot. Ours was an import but I am sure there are similar vehicles about.

Or an old minibus and take out the seats you don't need?

Whatever you decide if you want a funster to come and hold hands I'm sure there will be some of us around.

Beware the scammers though.

Prices don't seem to vary much with berth size but if you go for a LHD you'll pay less, alternatively go abroad and see what there is and import it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
You probably don't need a 6 berth - some of your children won't need a berth (size) to themselves and as they grow the older ones won't want to go anyway

Thats what I have been asking myself - my eldest has already suggested that shes not interested and that she wants to stay with Granny (Teenagers, eh..!)

And I'm sure we could fit comfortably into a 4 berth with the two toddlers and our 12YO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Seat belts and payload are the major players........ have you thought about a self-build?

Not a lot of budget I'm afraid.....

Thinking aloud here......

Maybe a people carrier with seats that will fold flat to make a big bed plus a couple of tents or the type of awnings that go onto a tailgate? Another bed for the small children can be made with a board across the front seats. We had a Toyota Hi-Ace bus conversion that we used like this for many years - no loo of course and cooking was done on a camp kitchen outside but the Hi-Ace had the benefit of 8 belted seats and a big boot. Ours was an import but I am sure there are similar vehicles about.

Or an old minibus and take out the seats you don't need?

Whatever you decide if you want a funster to come and hold hands I'm sure there will be some of us around.

Beware the scammers though.

Prices don't seem to vary much with berth size but if you go for a LHD you'll pay less, alternatively go abroad and see what there is and import it.

Are LHD MH's a common sight on English roads Puddlemuck? Not really looked before...

From where we are based I cant see us ever leaving the UK to be honest. I have seen a few LHD and right enough they do seem cheaper.

Also, with our budget, i'm obviously going to be looking at an older model and one that perhaps does not have power steering - is the absence of power steering a big problem?

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Also, with our budget, i'm obviously going to be looking at an older model and one that perhaps does not have power steering - is the absence of power steering a big problem?

Just had power steering fitted to my 1991 van £600 - posted about it

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Are LHD MH's a common sight on English roads Puddlemuck? Not really looked before...

From where we are based I cant see us ever leaving the UK to be honest. I have seen a few LHD and right enough they do seem cheaper.

Our second motorhome was a LHD Hymer. Not a problem when we got used to driving it on roads designed for RHD.

You didn't say where you are based - it might help Funsters suggest places to look.

I find the lack of power steering a huge problem but that might be because I am feeble.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our second motorhome was a LHD Hymer. Not a problem when we got used to driving it on roads designed for RHD.

You didn't say where you are based - it might help Funsters suggest places to look.

I find the lack of power steering a huge problem but that might be because I am feeble.

Apologies, I had previously said in my 'Introduction' thread where we are based - Orkney.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Orkney is a wonderful place, pity the ferry no longer runs up to Iceland via Shetland. That was on my "to do" list but the service stopped the year before I was able to do the trip.

I missed your location in your first post.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Also, also, is a petrol engine a big no-no for such a large vehicle?

Theres a one for sale on Orkney, thats a 4 berth Fiat Ducato and has a 2litre petrol engine...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back