Looking for first motorhome... (1 Viewer)

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

I only just joined this evening and looking forward to some useful guidance.

We are now actively searching for our first MH and need to know a if I can achieve what I need to for the budget we are looking to spend....:unsure:

We are a family of 6. Me, my wife, a 14YO, a 12YO, a 2YO and a 1YO - so am assuming a 6 birth is the minimum requirement (although I also guess my eldest daughter won't join us a lot!!)

Do you guys think a MH of that size can be found for around £4500?

I appreciate that it will be a LOT older model and could benefit from some cosmetic updating, but do you think its achievable?

If not at the minute, do you think it's better to wait until later in the year?:unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't help with much on the technical side, but have been guilty of many an impulsive purchase mainly through ebay, nearly bought a pier at Llandudno once, another day for that one :D

If I do nothing more than supress your desire to rush in I will have done my work for today

below is a copy from the listing, it is all too easy to miss key facts, they have been honest enough to put them in, but the fact they justify it by condensation worries me, as previously posted, one of if not the biggest killers of motor homes will be damp

We purchased and used this motorhome for Glastonbury festival (2014) when 6 of us lived out of it for a week (some slept in tents around the camper!). All facilities work fine and it's actually quite spacious inside, even with an 8 month pregnant inhabitant! General description; 1992 Talbot Express - Pilote R390, 4 birth, 17ft 6in long, 5 gears, radio cassette with CD input socket, 2.5lt diesel. It has a 3-way fridge (mains - 12v - gas), gas oven, gas grill, 4 plate hob with electric ignition, hot/cold water, cassette toilet, shower (curtain is missing) and air blown heater. Water tank holds 150lts and there are functioning seat belts for 6 people. Please note; the toilet window has a crack in it that was repaired by the previous owner; the n/s/f upper window has a hole in the outer skin/layer; the freezer cover hinge in the fridge is broken so it just pulls off rather than a door action; rear roof vent has very slight leak (only with condensation); the compartment/privacy curtain for the upper bed above the cab is missing; one of the awning leg fixings is missing but is still useable; the boiler flue cover is missing; rear bumper has a crack; passenger window winder handle not fixed (still able to use but the plastic winder handle needs replacing); diners window lock fixed shut; various outer and inner scuffs, the fittings and upholstery reflect the age of the vehicle. The front roof vent has been replaced along with the camper door lock. The engine cam belt has also been replaced. The above have been noted so that you know the good and bad of what you are looking at. The camper remains a great runner with all facilities in working order and good fuel consumption. MOT until May 2015 and taxed until 30/09/14. Viewing recommended prior to purchase and questions are welcome! £200 deposit required via PayPal, remainder on collection of vehicle. Serious buyers only please.

I really do not think it is worth more than £4K and you could easily spend a few hundreds sorting it out
Sounds like it's had a bit of a hard life and hasn't really been looked after that well! There will definitely be better ones out there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just me again.....:rolleyes:

Still searching :whistle: and wondered if someone can guide me regarding seatbelts.

I think our 'ideal' layout for with the kids would be rear 'U' shape lounge, BUT, can that be adapted to accommodate seatbelts?

I am assuming most U shapes won't have belts, but is it something I can get retro fitted? In our price range most only seem to have the two front belts with a minority that have one or two in the back.

We currently have Recaro Isofix chairs in the car for the two toddlers and ideally would love to think we could have Isofix brackets fitted into a U shape...

I guess what I'm asking is how possible/varied is it to fit seat belts into a MH?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
OK, ignore that last post ^^^^^^ :whistle:

I've done a bit more research and discovered it is both impossible AND unsafe to A) have seat belts retro fitted in a MH and B) unsafe to have passengers sitting in the rear lounge whilst travelling...

Sorry.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back