Looking for beginners advice (1 Viewer)

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
My wife and I are looking at buying our first motorhome. We like the Swift Bessacarr 597 and have seen a nice lookinh 2017 model for sale. Can anyone give us any steer as to what to consider here? I have no doubt there will be horror stories with specific dealers or specific vehicles, but in general how are they thought of? Is there anything else we should consider. We are looking at 4 belts, swivel seats and 4 berth, and the twin singles with infill on the above model looks very roomy. Ideally an island double, but they look a bit narrow

Solution
Hello Newbie68, we have a 597 and have been very happy with it. Ive had to bolt things back on as the finish quality isnt perfect, but I would still buy it again. Ours is a 130bhp which I thought I would need to uprate to 150 but it pulls well enough. I'm trying to think of what I would change, struggling.

Regards Roger
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Hello Newbie68, we have a 597 and have been very happy with it. Ive had to bolt things back on as the finish quality isnt perfect, but I would still buy it again. Ours is a 130bhp which I thought I would need to uprate to 150 but it pulls well enough. I'm trying to think of what I would change, struggling.

Regards Roger

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
Irish Rovers

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597

Regards Roger
Thanks Roger. I must check that bhp. Have you the automatic or manual gear box out of interest?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Ours is a manual, I had a ride in an automatic and found it a bit lazy, may have been me being used to and preferring a manual.

The only thing I did think of regarding if we could change something about the van is the payload.

Regards Roger

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, we havenā€™t had that model but we have owned five Swift motorhomes over the last 30 years. We would certainly buy another Swift based on our experience

Upvote 0

jmatosp

Free Member
Oct 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
bewbie
Not sure you get good advice from beginners...

Sorry, couldn't resist :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Irish Rovers

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Hi, we havenā€™t had that model but we have owned five Swift motorhomes over the last 30 years. We would certainly buy another Swift based on our experience
That's good to know. I think there are good and bad experiences everywhere, but 30 years is a good average

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
That's good to know. I think there are good and bad experiences everywhere, but 30 years is a good average
We had a couple of teething problems with some but they were easily remedied and were great thereafter. All motorhomes suffer from them, being largely assembled by humans.

After a five year break from motorhoming we bought an 11 year old Swift Sundance. That would have been about a late 1990 model. It was one of a batch with a design flaw that led to rotting floors. Fortunately it showed up within a few weeks and was repaired under a three month warranty we had from the dealer.

That particular problem led to a lot of adverse publicity for Swift and mud stuck to their name for quite a while. There are still some people who love to knock them but we would certainly buy one again, if we ever change.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back