Looking For Advice on First Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Border

Free Member
Feb 18, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

A quick plea for advice...

We've been looking for a used motorhome for a while now and hope to buy in the near future.
There are three of us (2 adults and one baby) along with a border terrier, although this may increase in time. Our budget ceiling is approximately 20k and we would ideally like a 6 berth model with an over cab bed and two other fixed beds (bunks?).
In the short term I will be using the motorhome as a base to sleep in 4 days out of 8 whilst at work, then for family getaways when home, predominantly in the UK
I have been looking at the Rimor Kataramano on a Ford Transit chassis and like the layout but have no real idea whether this would be a suitable purchase?

Any advice or other recommendations would be most gratefully received.

Cheers,
Rich

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
Two major things to check for before buying are

1 damp issues. Can be very expensive to fix.
2 weight. A MH capable of suiting a family is going to be very close to, or over 3500kg. The only way to check the weight of a particular van with its fitted options is to put it on a weighbridge. You then have to add on the weight of all the people( plus dog) plus all your "stuff" plus water in the tank and fuel in the tank etc etc. If you have a baby currently, it is likely that you are not old enough to have a driving licence to permit you to drive a vehicle over 3500 kg. (Category C1). Do not trust dealer quoted weight.

If you get it right, you will have many happy travels and family time I am sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Border

Free Member
Feb 18, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the messages of welcome everyone!

Riverbankannie, thanks very much for the reply. Weight was not something I had been considering whilst 'shopping'. I hold a cat C licence so would be able to drive a heavier MH but my wife wouldn't which is a definite drawback. You may just have saved me from making a very costly mistake... .

With that in mind, does anybody have any recommendations for lighter (4 birth?) MH's?

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Border ,id get the layout right first ,go to as many moho dealers as you can and do things like stand in the showe,sit in the toilet,try the beds out etc ,then list some must haves ,I.e. drop down bed ,once you have your preferred layout then start looking at models that come within your budget ,dont be afraid to ask questions and the good folks on here will help you no end

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As always my advice is layout, layout, layout! Nearly forgot the Hello and welcome!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:welco::ello:

Why not visit the show at the NEC next week, they have every conceivable layout on show. Make sure any van you choose has a decent payload.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back