Looking for a war grave in France or Belgium? (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
For anyone planning to visit some war graves in France or Belgium, this site is very useful. Having found the cemetery you're after on the very good CWGC site, this site will give you pretty accurate GPS co-ords which the CWGC site doesn't.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
For anyone planning to visit some war graves in France or Belgium, this site is very useful. Having found the cemetery you're after on the very good CWGC site, this site will give you pretty accurate GPS co-ords which the CWGC site doesn't.
its 6 years or so since I was over with the sole intent of visiting the cemeteries and memorials of the first world war , but seem to remember if you were looking for a specific grave all the cemeteries we visited had a book available with a list of known dead and the location of their grave within the cemetery.. the reason im not certain, is I wasn't looking for a specific grave but do remember checking the book at a few of the cemeteries I visited..
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
its 6 years or so since I was over with the sole intent of visiting the cemeteries and memorials of the first world war , but seem to remember if you were looking for a specific grave all the cemeteries we visited had a book available with a list of known dead and the location of their grave within the cemetery.. the reason im not certain, is I wasn't looking for a specific grave but do remember checking the book at a few of the cemeteries I visited..
ta andy

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission site also give details of every grave in every cemetery so finding a specific grave is not so difficult but some of these field cemeteries are just that - tiny walled plots in the middle of a field and sometimes difficult to locate which is where the modern day use of GPS, sat navs and Google Earth come into their own.
It's an annual trip for us and every year brings a new "discovery".

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission site also give details of every grave in every cemetery so finding a specific grave is not so difficult but some of these field cemeteries are just that - tiny walled plots in the middle of a field and sometimes difficult to locate which is where the modern day use of GPS, sat navs and Google Earth come into their own.
It's an annual trip for us and every year brings a new "discovery".
we will be there at mid term bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back