Looking for a site near a safe cycle path (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
so I'd like to find a site near a cycle path away from traffic
Turn your question around; find a cycleway and then find a site on it....

Bear in mind that the cycle paths are listed alphabetically nationally. The filters allow you to select by area, type and distance.

Happy cycling.

Barry

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
There is a decent cycle track around Kielder Water . It has the attraction of being a Dark Sky area so the stars look good. Well, they do if it ever stops raining. Also, the track around Graham Water is a decent flat ride. I used to do a fair bit of towpath riding. Birmingham to Liverpool was the longest. It’s a bit narrow in places . A mate of mine met another cyclist coming the ther way and put his foot on the grass at the side of the canal. Unfortunately the grass was just some overhanging tufts. I honestly thought I was going to die laughing.

Kielder Castle car park is where I stayed earlier this year. Loads of dedicated cycle paths there. Even some fantastic mountain bike trails too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
A few sites off the tissington trail in the peaks and also the Monsal trail both very nice trails traffic free, callow top is one site or Ashbourne heights
Also there is a cycle track all the way around carsington reservoir and a site right next door
Stayed at Ashbourne Heights last month which is right on the Tissington Trail.. ideal as you have Tissington only a mile or so north (great cafe and lovely village) plus Ashbourne some 7 miles return right into town to the south... Ashbourne is one of our favourite towns

If you are more adventurous Buxton lies to the north too but it’s a trek

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Lots of European destinations always look better for safe road/paved based cycling than the UK.
I was recently in Copenhagen and that had the same cycle focus as Amsterdam.
But it is Holland where I did a multi town cycle tour always safe on cycle paths.

In Holland, cyclists are def top of the priority list. They've their own zebra crossings to shoot across the road on and they also usually have a nicer 'path' than pedestrians :eek:

Sep 13, 2017
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Rapido Fiat MWB
We are staying at Camping Pinar san Jose near Barbate Spain they are putting in miles of safe cycling routes along the coast protected from traffic by a concrete barrier, brilliant it’s going for miles

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I'm at Carsington Water, near Ashbourne at this very moment... there's a bike trail all the way around.

CAMC site is quite nice:
View attachment 339761

Who needs an engine when you can get a dog to pull your van? :)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Did I already mention the flat, tarmac route by the river that you can pick up at Woodhall Spa? And Woodhall Spa has many camping opportunities from bargain CL and CS to mega-sites.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Another vote for Peak Districk, Tissington trail and Monsal etc. Often overlooked is one of my favourite sites...Cofton Park , East Devon. Great site and also on ACSI. Pub a 5 minute walk away down a very quiet lane that also leads to an off road cycle path that follows the estuary into Exeter or the other way to Dawlish along the beautiful coast.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Steve, Kent Council offer free cycling courses for Adults either introductory or a bit more suited to getting confident riding in the road.

https://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-travel/road-safety/road-safety-training/cycle-training#tab-1

We have stayed near Birchington a couple of times and really good off-road but on cycle paths to Reculver or from Canterburythe is the Crab and winkle way to Whitstable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back