Looking for a site near a safe cycle path (1 Viewer)

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
As the title suggests. My wife isn't at all confident cycling on the road (never having owned a bike as a child), so I'd like to find a site near a cycle path away from traffic, to build her confidence up a bit. Preferably one that leads to somewhere interesting, like a pub (for me) or shopping centre or local attractions. Uk preferred. We have bromptons so nothing too extreme.
Cheers.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have just stayed at Bath marina, cycle track all the way along the river into bath one way about 2.5 miles it carries on past Bath too.
Or
Goes to Bristol the other way about 20 miles I thing very nice and pretty no cars proper cycle track straight off the site

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
A few sites off the tissington trail in the peaks and also the Monsal trail both very nice trails traffic free, callow top is one site or Ashbourne heights
Also there is a cycle track all the way around carsington reservoir and a site right next door

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I’d say any campsite close to a canal ( C&CC Devizes is one but a bit of a trek for you) Always going to be pretty level. Devizes site you can along the canal side in one direction right into Devizes, other way takes you to Bradford in Avon, and on to Bath. You could get the train from Bradford on Avon to Bath, and/or back again.

OP
OP
swiftsteve

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
I have just stayed at Bath marina, cycle track all the way along the river into bath one way about 2.5 miles it carries on past Bath too.
Or
Goes to Bristol the other way about 20 miles I thing very nice and pretty no cars proper cycle track straight off the site
That sounds perfect. Bath is on my to do list as well, I've never been. Doable in a weekend for us as well. Thanks.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sells Green (Devizes) either club site or Three Magpies pub site.
Can cycle via canal towpath to Devizes or Melksham, Bradford upon Avon or Bath depending on range & fitness.

Also smaller roads & byways nearby. Have a look on an OS map. View free on OS site.

Area around Llantwit Major (Wales) ok.

Brighton along sea front and esplanades.

Cambridge & Oxford areas.

Where do you want to go?

Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Waterclose Meadows Campsite, Houghton Mill near St Ives in Cambridgeshire is a nice National Trust run campsite with a flat predominantly traffic free route into nearby St Ives. St Ives is a pleasant market town on the river Ouse with a selection of pubs, restaurants and shops.

If you're more ambitious you can then cycle all the way from St Ives into north Cambridge alongside a traffic free guided bus route (or alternatively get on the bus with the Bromptons if required).

The village of Houghton also has a couple of pubs and a shop within a short walk of the campsite.

OP
OP
swiftsteve

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
I’d say any campsite close to a canal ( C&CC Devizes is one but a bit of a trek for you) Always going to be pretty level. Devizes site you can along the canal side in one direction right into Devizes, other way takes you to Bradford in Avon, and on to Bath. You could get the train from Bradford on Avon to Bath, and/or back again.
Never thought about canal paths, thanks. I think if I can drive there in 4-5 hours then it's ok for a weekend stay, we do tend to venture further if on holidays of a week or more.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
unfortunately most canal and river paths a bit too rough for inexperienced riders on the very small Brompton wheels.
I have cycled since I was a child in Oxford but now I am not confident on the roads.
The Bristol Bath a good one as all tarmac and ex railway line so flattish. There is also the opportunity to get the train back from Bristol (the uphill way).

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The new forest for us is the closest, try looking at Camping in the Forest sites in the new forest, we stayed at Setthorns Site £14 a night, deer & wildlife everywhere, individual pitches, and we cycled for miles off road through the forest. Then we cycled into Sway Village, went to gastro pub, The Hare & Hounds for some great nosh and beers. We will try out Longmeadow next time or in the near future. Setthorn Site is open all year(y)
Some pics
1570388752802.png

1570388848674.png

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
You beat me to it TinaL.
Try the many sites in the new forest.
Holmsley camping in the forest or the C&MH club centenary site. Both close enough to the beech as well.
Off road shared trails and forest roads all reasonable flat and in the majority fully accessible by the average bike and wheel chairs.
There is a map available that shows all the numbered posts in the forest so you can’t get lost.
As the speed limit on the roads in the new forest is limited to 40mph although due to the ponies, cattle and sheep on the roads that’s seldom happens it’s a safe place to cycle.
Thetford forest in Suffolk is also good.
Have a look at pitchup.com and select sites close to cycling routes as one of the filters.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Millennium coastal park near Llanelli, camping in the Pembrey Country Park, or the Caravan and Motorhome Club site, free overnight parking at the Burry Port Marina.
Great cycling away from all traffic with numerous Cafe or Pub options.
Cheers.Ed

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
There is a decent cycle track around Kielder Water . It has the attraction of being a Dark Sky area so the stars look good. Well, they do if it ever stops raining. Also, the track around Graham Water is a decent flat ride. I used to do a fair bit of towpath riding. Birmingham to Liverpool was the longest. It’s a bit narrow in places . A mate of mine met another cyclist coming the ther way and put his foot on the grass at the side of the canal. Unfortunately the grass was just some overhanging tufts. I honestly thought I was going to die laughing.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
There is a decent cycle track around Kielder Water . It has the attraction of being a Dark Sky area so the stars look good. Well, they do if it ever stops raining. Also, the track around Graham Water is a decent flat ride. I used to do a fair bit of towpath riding. Birmingham to Liverpool was the longest. It’s a bit narrow in places . A mate of mine met another cyclist coming the ther way and put his foot on the grass at the side of the canal. Unfortunately the grass was just some overhanging tufts. I honestly thought I was going to die laughing.
Good shout,, there is a Brit stop there too.

Also on a similar vein, Rutland Water, quite a few CL,s and CS,s as well as Lyndon Top all on or near the cycle path.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
With you living in Kent you have one of the best places for your wife to improve her cycling skills locally by visiting the Dymchurch and the St. Mary's beach area. At this time of the year the concrete apron above the beach is deserted and cycling is allowed for miles up to Littlestone with fish and chips, cafe's, and pubs at Dymchurch. Lots of car parks next to the beach if travelling by car but they have height restrictions. If travelling my motorhome turn off the A259 into Jefferstone Lane at St. Mary's Bay and just past Froods TV and Electrical shop lots of free parking on the left. Nothing better to take in the sea air, its Jen's best cycling route so I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
There are many safe cycle ways around we have cycled in Devon wales and the new forest but our favourites our the canals always a pub stop on the way back. Check out the best sites for cycling on this forum.

Jun 27, 2019
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline B600
Exp

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Stratford upon Avon there is a site o on the Race Course from there one direction you can cycle into town, or the other direction along the old railway track into a pretty little village with a pub.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
YB
Be aware that it is a very steep( and that is an under estimate) ride down to the Mainsai Trail if you follow the cycle route from Beach Croft site. It is easier to cycle down the road to the start, which is also steep, but exciting.:D:D

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
unfortunately most canal and river paths a bit too rough for inexperienced riders on the very small Brompton wheels.
I have cycled since I was a child in Oxford but now I am not confident on the roads.
The Bristol Bath a good one as all tarmac and ex railway line so flattish. There is also the opportunity to get the train back from Bristol (the uphill way).
A lot of the Kennet & Avon canal is used by a Sustrans National Route: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/route-4/
Where route 4 leaves the canal is where the tow path is tough for road bikes.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Perhaps we could arrange an informal cycle meet over a long weekend maybe?
TinaL is not to confident on road cycling either (no hand signals given as she cant let go of handle bar):D
We will be going down to a Camping in The Forrest site soon, as we loved our recent trip so much, sharing our pitch with all the Deer, Ponies and even Donkeys!
So if any of you wish to join us let us know and we will arrange a date that suits us all.
Just send us a PM

Les & TinaL

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
There are a number of campsites near the Cuckoo Trail, and Downs Link (Brightams Farm in Partridge Green our fav)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Bit of a trek from Kent but Glenmore campsite on Loch Morlich is superb summer or winter with the old logging trail a great cycle down to Aviemore and then on to Boat of Garten. Pick your day and you could get the steam train back. Pub (Pine Marten Inn) on site and plenty more pubs in
IMG_2905.jpg
Aviemore. Get a bit more confident and fit, cycle up Cairngorm (helps if its an eBike. :D). PS that isn't a pic of the bike trail!

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Dennis cove Near Padstow perhaps..
10 mins walk from Padstow where you can hire a bike or trike or electric and literally on top of the camel trail. along which you will find plenty of pubs and stuffs to look at..

Dennis cove campsite

Camel trail route Entirely on a disused railway, no cars (although you do have to cross some roads)

About the camel trail

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back