Looking for a nice Cornwall camp site! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I was looking at the Ayr , St Ives but they are fully booked this weekend.:(

Any suggestions for the following requirements.
EHU
Near coast / river
easy walking distance to a good food pub, (essential).
Nice town / village within walking distance

2nd on my list, I'm looking at Tintagel but not sure about the good food pub requirement.

Any recommendations please!
Cliff

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Pentewan Sands?
Good pub in the village although you might want to book a table, nice walk over the cliffs into Mevagissey (or a bus either/both ways) and right on the beach. (y)

Failing that, how about Newquay.
Stop for a quick pasty in the high street, spend the night drinking shots/gate crashing stag parties, grab a taxi back to the campsite when the nightclub kicks out! :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Carnon Downs C&MC Site

Immaculate site, bus at gate to Falmouth,
Cross the road and walk 50metres, bus stop toTruro

One of the "Barrel Pubs" across the road too
OR
Short Taxi ride to the "Punchbowl& Ladle" at Penelewey Well recommended

Falmouth has a M/Home friendly Car Park in town (Park and ride/float has closed) There is a small bus that runs from the Car park right through town. across the road from C/Park is a decent chippie "The Gem"

If you need instructions to the car park give me a PM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
C&CC site at Sennan Cove is nice, on a bus route to St Just and a straightforward drive to the park and ride for St Ives.

There’s a CMC site too just down the road but when we stayed at C&CC last year people who’d used the CMC site on previous occasions reckoned the C&CC site to be better.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Pentewan is our local pub! Looking to go further afield. Prefer quieter village pubs, we avoid Newquay!

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
C&CC site at Sennan Cove is nice, on a bus route to St Just and a straightforward drive to the park and ride for St Ives.

There’s a CMC site too just down the road but when we stayed at C&CC last year people who’d used the CMC site on previous occasions reckoned the C&CC site to be better.
Is there pub food at Sennen (walking distance)?
Or the C&CC nr Sennen?

I have been on UK campsites and looked at Sennen as a possibility.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
@Cliffdale I don’t recall there being a pub within a reasonable walk - I’m teetotal so didn’t look out for one but do recall that there was a fish and chip van that came round (in the summer) because there wasn’t anywhere to eat particularly nearby.

There is a local taxi firm though who could take you into St Just (where there is some life) - it’s not far so wouldn’t expect the fare to be that expensive.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have just got back from Ayr campsite, have been going there for years, sadly Chris the manager passed away and since then this site has gone down the nick, the lower fields are a mud bath, I certainly wouldn`t attempt to drive on them, most mornings saw the sites tractor pulling people off the pitches.
Yes Ayr does have hard standing pitches but you have to drive across grass to get onto them.

There is another site about 2 miles away from AYR called Polmanter http://polmanter.co.uk ok it hasn`t got the sea views of Ayr but it is a much better site, all hard standing, they have a heated outdoor pool and it`s its cheaper than AYR, there is a pub 200m The Halsetown (Broken Link Removed) that does excellent food.

Carnon downs on the other side between Truo and Falmouth is an excellent site, Pentewan is ok but doesn`t allow dogs.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I like the sound of Polmanter but I think they close end of September. I will phone them tomorrow as the web site is a little unclear. 2018 stays go into October but doesn't show October for 2017.

A bit more Googling and Porthleven looks ok.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are thinking they are open until the end of October.

Porthleven is a lovely place to visit, Try the Seadrift the food there is fantastic, they also allow dogs.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We stayed at the campsite in Porthleven earlier this year - it's a field at the back of the pub with hook-ups. The facilities are a bit dated and at £25 a night a bit expensive but it's only a couple of hundred yards from the town. :)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We stayed atcthe one above St Ives this summer but very expensive at around £40 a night!!!! Stayed at Dennis cove in Padstow. Lovely site nice walk into town and not too expensive.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have just got back from Ayr campsite, have been going there for years, sadly Chris the manager passed away and since then this site has gone down the nick, the lower fields are a mud bath, I certainly wouldn`t attempt to drive on them, most mornings saw the sites tractor pulling people off the pitches.
Yes Ayr does have hard standing pitches but you have to drive across grass to get onto them.

We stayed there Christmas & New Year a couple of years ago and got marooned on the pitches at the bottom the site. We had the choice of being towed off every day or stay put.

As we were paying nearly £35 a night (!!!) we were a tad miffed that there was no all-weather track. Must say, the boss was not very helpful so haven't been back.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Gwithian farm campsite and a nice pub just outside the entrance called red river inn. (y)

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Someone has just posted Kings arm carpark Tintagel in the photo of the day thread. Looks interesting for a night stop over!

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Polmanter Touring Park? Not stayed there yet but is within walk of a pub and walk to St Ives.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We've recently stayed at Heligan Gardens site. Really nice. Bus 10 minutes to Mevagissey. We also hired a car from local garage.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Car park in porthleven £3.50 for 24 hours, 10 yards from pub, 200 yards from harbour town. Motorhomes parked in corners at night ;)

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Car park in porthleven £3.50 for 24 hours, 10 yards from pub, 200 yards from harbour town. Motorhomes parked in corners at night ;)

Now you tell me!

Just booked and paid for Porthleven camping.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Which car park is this please? Are there No Sleeping signs present or is there authorised overnight parking allowed?
Thanks.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
About 5 years ago we stayed at Trevaylor Caravan & Camping Park near St Just, interesting walks along coast path to ?Levant tin mine. Seem to remember there is a pub serving decent food in the village of Botallack 10 min walk away, the site facilities are nothing special, but they were clean at least. PS its also where they filmed much of Poldark

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@Nigel L

Ill check out the car park for you this weekend and take some pics.
Report back if there is tinternet!

Looking forward to Porthleven, never visited the place. Hope to find a good food pub.

Went to the ship inn at Pentewan tonight. Great to report its back to normal, quiet and a great place to eat.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There's a Rick Stein restaurant in Porthleven which looked very nice.

There is also another Ship Inn on the harbour which serves a great pint but I don't remember seeing food being served there.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Padstow touring park. Right at the top of Padstow with a 20 min walk by footpath down into Padstow past a Tesco. Might be a bit difficult if late evening as the footpath is unlit.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Which car park is this please? Are there No Sleeping signs present or is there authorised overnight parking allowed?
Thanks.
It's next to camp site mate. Didn't see any no camping signs.

Another place is by pendennis castle in Flamouth.
Drive past entrance to castle follow road around headland ( this is a one way bit ) then when you go past big car park around to right there's some parking bays on left by trees , noticed motorhomes parking here at night.
OR if you won,t cheep week like me you can use Lower pollradras camp site at Carleen £89 four Severn nights with hook up. But it's 2 miles inland from porhleven but very nice people.
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back