Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like I said at the beginning you need to try first, then if convinced can help source bikes from Germany.

End of season best time to pick up a bargain, when 2016 models come out. Probably approx £1400 - £1700.

When you think decent Chinese e bikes like wisper cost well over £1000 it's not to bad. You can't compare them with the cheap Chinese bikes available at shows....sorry they are a joke, chalk and cheese :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bosch and KTM words that normally also mean ££££££'s and more £££££££'s what happens when you put the 2 words together how many ££££££'s are we talking about then? Type in small numbers please I'm getting scared :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:::bigsmile:
Not if you buy from a German dealer, just brought a couple of Scott's with Bosch drives, only £1700 each.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Surely it depends on what you need your (e)bike for?
Is it for serious miles, over the hills & far away - or bumbling about to the nearest "attraction" (aka Pub... or shop).
Whilst I don't doubt the style & type @Judgemental & @lennyhb recommend are the Rolls Royce of bikes - is it what you need? Do you need (or can afford) the best?
Will you always be fearful of them being stolen or damaged?
Not everyone needs, can afford, will appreciate that a VW Golf is a better car than the equivalent Dacia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...if my £500 Probike (other brands are available) gets nicked, I'll be p*seed off - if my £2k bike gets trashed, I'd be devastated (and broke).
And don't even mention "insurance" :mad:!

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Surely it depends on what you need your (e)bike for?
Is it for serious miles, over the hills & far away - or bumbling about to the nearest "attraction" (aka Pub... or shop).
Whilst I don't doubt the style & type @Judgemental & @lennyhb recommend are the Rolls Royce of bikes - is it what you need? Do you need (or can afford) the best?
Will you always be fearful of them being stolen or damaged?
Not everyone needs, can afford, will appreciate that a VW Golf is a better car than the equivalent Dacia.
Well you just took the words out of my mouth, or at least from my keyboard!!!
Whilst yes I agree that you get what you pay for and yes in an ideal world I'd love to go and blow £2,8oo to £3,200 on a pair of very nice bikes but the reality is that they'd never be used to their full potential and I'd live in constant fear of them being stolen, our long term plan is to go full or pretty much full time in the RV or at the very least spend many months at a time travelling Europe so they would be strapped to the back of it all the time, they'd only really be used for bumbling about and leisure not serious mileage covering though I would get a lot more out of my bike, Elaine is far from well or fit enough to cover huge mileage, as we have 2 dogs we will never go that far at any time from the RV anyway.
To be honest I think I still need to be looking more at kits or a couple of better quality chinese bikes to get us going, if I really get the bug perhaps I will upgrade again to a better quality when I've proved I will use the thing to it's full potential. Hope you can appreciate this line of thought? If so perhaps a secondhand bike quality bike might be worth considering and budget in the cost of a new battery perhaps?

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
I thought similar , thinking more like an old Honda 90 to get about to the shops etc and it would not look to attractive to a thief .
That's why all we have as a motor bike is this, far more cool wall than a chinese scooter as well I think anyway...........
IMG_5728.JPG

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I thought similar , thinking more like an old Honda 90 to get about to the shops etc and it would not look to attractive to a thief .
...and someone will be along shortly to educate you why a Honda 90 is underpowered, won't go up hills and what you really need is a 125 (at least)
:rofl:

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
I actually started looking at Chinese moped/scooters, then moved onto looking at C90's and the like then ended up looking at bigger, 70's/80's bikes then came back down to the little old CD175 which has a bit of character and is an easy fix with basic non electronics workings so for me an ideal candidate for on the back, tax free classic insurance as well so win win win all the way, with a bit of luck the value will rise in time as well!!! ;);):D:D

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Many years ago I had the cd 175 for getting to work before I had a car
See exactly what I like about it, everyone (of a certain age group....which I'm in ;)) see's it and it brings back memories.....hopefully good ones!! And is a great ice breaker talking point (y)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If so perhaps a secondhand bike quality bike might be worth considering and budget in the cost of a new battery perhaps?
I agree in principle, but a Bosch battery is around £600, so you could end up spending almost as much as on a new one.

We certainly wouldn't have brought them without having a van with a garage. Really brought them for the hill climbing as we are fair weather cyclists and tend to struggle on hills, on our ordinary bikes this limits us to 20 -25 mile rides, hoping to go a lot further on the e-bikes and get up the hills. Having said that we did do the London to Brighton a few years ago & would like to do it again, but we always seem to be away in June.

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
I agree in principle, but a Bosch battery is around £600, so you could end up spending almost as much as on a new one.

We certainly wouldn't have brought them without having a van with a garage. Really brought them for the hill climbing as we are fair weather cyclists and tend to struggle on hills, on our ordinary bikes this limits us to 20 -25 mile rides, hoping to go a lot further on the e-bikes and get up the hills. Having said that we did do the London to Brighton a few years ago & would like to do it again, but we always seem to be away in June.
I'd not have to splash out on a Bosch battery though, again I know I'd not be getting the best battery but there is other reasonable quality batteries about for less. At the moment with the normal push bikes I bet we don't get much further than 5 miles at the very most on a good day there and back, Elaine would just not cope with any further, if we managed 15 to 20 miles as a total on an electric bike I'd be more than happy, as I say it's more for a bit of a bumble about and a bit of extra freedom hence not being happy to spend huge amounts of money.
Thinking back it was less that 12 months ago that Elaine almost wet her self laughing when I rang her up one evening while I was working away in Paignton and told her I'd bought a bike that day, it took me some effort to spend £200 now I'm trying to get my head around spending nearer a £1,000 :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'd not have to splash out on a Bosch battery though, again I know I'd not be getting the best battery but there is other reasonable quality batteries about for less. At the moment with the normal push bikes I bet we don't get much further than 5 miles at the very most on a good day there and back, Elaine would just not cope with any further, if we managed 15 to 20 miles as a total on an electric bike I'd be more than happy, as I say it's more for a bit of a bumble about and a bit of extra freedom hence not being happy to spend huge amounts of money.
Thinking back it was less that 12 months ago that Elaine almost wet her self laughing when I rang her up one evening while I was working away in Paignton and told her I'd bought a bike that day, it took me some effort to spend £200 now I'm trying to get my head around spending nearer a £1,000 :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
If you buy a S/H bike with a Bosch drive you don't have an option but to buy a Bosch battery.

Buy a cheap bike bike and cycling is a chore, I can remember when we had cheap bikes to do 10 or 15 miles was quite an achievement, then we saw the light and brought some half decent mid range bikes still reasonably priced (£650) and cycling became a pleasure, it really is surprising the difference it makes.
We weren't going to make the same mistake with e-bikes so went for something middle of the road, at least spending a 2k on an e- you will get something based on decent running gear probably the equivalent of a £800-£900 ordinary bike, I know quite a few people who pay more than 2k for an ordinary bike.

Most of us are running about in fairly expensive Motorhomes so in the overall scheme of things it makes sense to buy a similar quality bike, after all it is an extension of the lifestyle we enjoy, so why spoil it for the sake of a few quid.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've been reading this thread with interest. We've just ordered a couple of ebikes. Not the cheapest (but close to!) and certainly not the most expensive. We had a list of requirements which tended to be more toward the "bumbling about" end of things rather than any serious long distance cycling. We also had particular storage requirements. We ended up buying folding 20 inchers after trying several at Peterborough. I won't bore you with all the reasons for buying these particular ones, but one of the reasons was that the throttle lever could be removed (the later model has a connector in the cable for exactly this purpose). But they will suit our purposes and will not break the bank. I would love a nice full size centre drive bike but it would be a bit of an overkill. We realise the limitations of cheaper bikes and are happy with our choice. I'm in agreement with the original poster. We are not all out cycling enthusiasts and like a lot of things in life we have to accept compromises sometimes. I've paid less for two bikes than one Bosch powered one. Don't forget about security (and the more expensive the bike the more you should pay...I've been told 10 to 15% of the bike cost!) and insurance...ditto regarding premiums. Both of those things are factored in and we are comfortable with the costs. Of course whether we change our minds over the next few months has still to be decided!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
buying used a good idea in principal and can work as i have done it in the past as recognised that a good used, far better then rubbish new:)

Problem being! buying 2 nd hand in the UK via ebay and the like is: bikes still go for serious money, to me you get far better value buying new abroad

Have a look through here: http://tinyurl.com/poudz4s

Bosch e bikes on the above from £1200 +

but you need to get out and visit some proper E Bike shops for test rides to see if you can justify the cost? or else pointless discussing....

We initially got e bikes for motorhome trips, now years on they are my daily transport year round, still have serious health issues but I'm lighter and certainly fitter then what I was. So to us its easy to justify the cost. if your adamant that they are just going to be for having a jolly up round a campsite or down the road probably not worth buying good e bikes

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'd rather do it that way round, spend a little for "bumbling" purposes only to discover I love cycling and then buy a top notch bike rather than spend thousands on a top of the range bike only to find out I hate it, and it gets left in the garage.

If you have a Bosch - do you have to wear lycra :cool:?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'd rather do it that way round, spend a little for "bumbling" purposes only to discover I love cycling and then buy a top notch bike rather than spend thousands on a top of the range bike only to find out I hate it, and it gets left in the garage.

Yes its obligatory.. But you learn to get over yourself!:)

Night Owl

Free Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nr York
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
20 years
I have a Coratec bike which I did not want to change, but wanted an electric bike.
So I decided to buy an electric bike kit, after looking around at various ones decided that I would like a crank driven mid mount one.

This weekend I fitted a Bafung 8fun kit from eclipsebikes.com for £350 pounds. I found a 13amphour battery from electricbike-conversions.com for £200 delivered and so for £550 I have a great electric bike. Woosh Bikes also sell the kits and batteries.
Eclipsebikes sell the kit as 250watt, 350watt and 500watt only the 250 watt is road legal in UK, I don't know about abroad but my understanding is that the thumb throttle can be disconnected.

Having just been for a 10 mile ride on it it is very good and climbs hills very well on pedal assist or throttle.

Peter

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

problem being a not so good bike will not be that enjoyable as the real thing..and hardly encourages cycling, probably put you off for life..and you will end up A frame towing!:D Also will soon lose there appeal when they start going wrong. That's why loads end up unloved and unused in garages and on ebay later on :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This says it is only 200w for a bicycle in the UK with 250w being for tandems & tricycles ?
https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

What do they do if you are caught out on a larger illegal motor? Do they treat it as a motoring offence and prosecute accordingly with points on licence etc? If so I guess this could get quite scary with no helmet, tax, mot and insurance just for starters??
(y)

Can't see how as they keep telling us that bicycles are not subject to requiring a licence tax /insurance . So how can they put points on a licence that you don't even need to have ? If they can then I would be looking at a counter claim for being punished twice.

That's why all we have as a motor bike is this, far more cool wall than a chinese scooter as well I think anyway...........
View attachment 61538

An astute Trafico officer would give a ticket here for that as it requires a complete rear marker board. Probably not legal in UK either as The requirement is that you can see the rear lights & number plate from both sides when standing x metres behind & at an angle of 45º( not 100% it's 45. )

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
We have e-bikes for more than 4 years, mines a Kalkhoff Agattu and Dawns a Raleigh Dover, both expensive, both great. Its the best money i have ever spent.
I cycle quite a bit in the fine weather months and really enjoy it.
Last year we stayed in Quiberon and whilst there cycled 90+ miles in total, we also went to the Tour in Yorkshire and both of us cycled up Holme Moss, do that on your home build or cheapo.

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
I bought a cheapy from Tesco on-line. You get what you pay for, but mine suits me for the short journey each morning to get a paper. And if it gets nicked it wont break the bank. Mind you I do chain it up when in the shop lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back