Looking at one this afternoon (1 Viewer)

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Hi.
I'm off this afternoon to look at this LINK
And this LINK
Any advice on these particular brands?
I'm armed with a damp meter which has already saved me from a couple of rotten MoHos

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
don't travel to the second link, it appears to have been delisted

good luck, don't forget that 10-15% damp on meter is quite normal (y)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The first one's on petrol, potentially expensive in any number of ways. Keep looking the ' right one's' out there!(y) (Personal view fwiw)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
don't travel to the second link, it appears to have been delisted

good luck, don't forget that 10-15% damp on meter is quite normal (y)

It was there this morning. Been texting the guy all week and it's only 2 minutes from where I live so will check in with him before I go.

The first one I went to see registered 40% and the guy said it was just a "little" leak. When I pushed the wall it moved by around 6 inches! Didn't say anything else, just left.

The first one's on petrol, potentially expensive in any number of ways. Keep looking the ' right one's' out there!(y) (Personal view fwiw)

I've drive petrol and deisel cars/vans but this will be my first MoHo. Other than torq what are the disadvantages of petrol?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
don't expec to much from a van of that age but haggle with them
bill

I know we are going to have to comprimise for our budget, but I'm quite handy and have a mechcanic in the family so don't mind getting my hands dirty. Just need to find something that isn't going to fall to bits in the first 6 months!

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It was there this morning. Been texting the guy all week and it's only 2 minutes from where I live so will check in with him before I go.

The first one I went to see registered 40% and the guy said it was just a "little" leak. When I pushed the wall it moved by around 6 inches! Didn't say anything else, just left.

I've drive petrol and deisel cars/vans but this will be my first MoHo. Other than torq what are the disadvantages of petrol?

In my view (once again fwiw), low mpg, high servicing and engine wear.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In my view (once again fwiw), low mpg, high servicing and engine wear.

but also bear in mind most MH's don't do many miles, I know some do but most will be 5K max, petrol is a bit cheaper than diesel, overall I don't think running costs should make enough difference to stop you buying petrol

my opinion only of course :D

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
but also bear in mind most MH's don't do many miles, I know some do but most will be 5K max, petrol is a bit cheaper than diesel, overall I don't think running costs should make enough difference to stop you buying petrol

my opinion only of course :D

True but this is a 22 year old van.:)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Didn't work for me. The first one "needs a bit of TLC" could be a lot of things. I would ask specifically "Does it have any damp problems" and have a witness with you. Then get the meter out of the pocket and watch the sellers face/body language. usual other checks of course, fridge, heating etc etc. plus the mechanicals. Good hunting, but there really are loads of vans out there

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Didn't work for me. The first one "needs a bit of TLC" could be a lot of things. I would ask specifically "Does it have any damp problems" and have a witness with you. Then get the meter out of the pocket and watch the sellers face/body language. usual other checks of course, fridge, heating etc etc. plus the mechanicals. Good hunting, but there really are loads of vans out there

What Dux said!(y)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
dont be put of by the petrol engine we had a petrol talbot for 4 years without any problems and the petrol is cheaper than deisel so brings the running cost down at that age the deisel will probably be non turbo and slower than the petrol

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Wouldn't touch either of them personally

I'd go for a diesel mk2 ducato and pay the extra 500-1000 or haggle it down

I'd bet my hind teeth that both of those vans have had damp issues the second one certainly has questionable roof seams

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back