Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
As you all know, we're looking for a van conversion.
We thought we might go the pre loved way and then we discovered something that saved us miles of travelling to visit a wreck.

Type in the registration number of the vehicle you are going to see and, prepare to read a horror story.
The words excessively corroded, excessively worn, advisories ignored, it's saved us so much time and effort.
You get to know mileage done each year, a couple of vans we looked at hadn't done more than 300 miles in a year. And one had a list of advisories like a novel, 50 miles later an MOT pass then a fail the following year after 1000 miles, the fail was a carbon copy of the first fail!
I wanted to let you all know about this, it's helped us find out if we'd put hard earned cash into a van that's not been looked after.
The answer was no.
This research has directed us to the new route.

Julie

Deleted User
That facility on the Gov. website is indeed very useful for researching the history of a vehicle, particularly motorhomes which in many cases are little used, we did exactly the same when looking for a motorhome.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I
use a free app on my phone called vehicle watch, as long as I have a signal i can check mot history, tax status, sorn status at the touch of a few keys.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As you all know, we're looking for a van conversion.
We thought we might go the pre loved way and then we discovered something that saved us miles of travelling to visit a wreck.

Type in the registration number of the vehicle you are going to see and, prepare to read a horror story.
The words excessively corroded, excessively worn, advisories ignored, it's saved us so much time and effort.
You get to know mileage done each year, a couple of vans we looked at hadn't done more than 300 miles in a year. And one had a list of advisories like a novel, 50 miles later an MOT pass then a fail the following year after 1000 miles, the fail was a carbon copy of the first fail!
I wanted to let you all know about this, it's helped us find out if we'd put hard earned cash into a van that's not been looked after.
The answer was no.
This research has directed us to the new route.

Julie
So how do I find the website for this information please?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Thank you very much. Is there a link to check for tax (VED) please?

There definitely is one for checking tax.
We found lots that weren't taxed or MOT certificated.

www.gov.uk
Then go to section called driving and transport.
Within that there's a section called.
Vehicle tax, mot and insurance.
This takes you to pages to check all above.

Julie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
I
use a free app on my phone called vehicle watch, as long as I have a signal i can check mot history, tax status, sorn status at the touch of a few keys.

D.
I've looked on IOS and android for Vehicle Watch. Is there any peculiar spelling or punctuation involved? As it comes up with nothing on that search. Thank you

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Do you pay a subscription or is it free?
It's totally free. Every time I look at a potential vehicle purchase i punch the reg in to vehicle smart and check mot history. Saw a little old lady the other day driving a very tatty fiat punto, rents in every panel so I checked on vehicle smart, no tax, no mot so reported it to plod.

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Here is a great game for when you want to have a good laugh.
Go to dealer website.
Read description of a camper.
Then look on this site.
It's better than a night with a comedian.
The amazing condition described in the advert is soon to be proved a pile of fictitious rubbish ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back