Looking at 11 year old Rapido (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Hi all. I'm quite keen on purchasing a 2012 Rapido. I have a couple of sticking points though that I would appreciate advice on if anyone can offer it.

It last had a habitation check in August so I'm keen to organise another one. I would also like the engine looked at so thought of aa. Anyone had any experience with them? The only other issue that gives me cause for concern is the habitation door. It won't close properly from the inside, only from the outside. On the outside if you close firmly and press the fob, it locks. I know it could be something fairly simple like an alignment issue or replacement lock required but I do worry that it could be something worse and the door could need replacing. There's a good chance that a cheeky offer could be accepted but I do worry that I'd then be looking at a £4k door replacement.

Finally, I see more and more news about low emission zones and worry about the sense in throwing 30k at a 2012 vehicle. Is it a a big worry for those of you with older motorhomes? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I wouldn’t worry to much about the door situation I would think an adjustment on the lock keep and hinges would sort that out as long as there is no great visual damage of the door? Certainly would not think you will need to replace it at cost of 4K ?🤔

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Emission Zones can be a worry: my 2002 Merc is decidedly "dirty" :oops:
BUT they don't worry me too much: there are still plenty of places where I can go at the moment.

Sadly my satnav doesn't "know" about emission zones, which I believe is a great pity, so I stick big green pins in the general vicinity of them on AutoRoute and on a paper map and that alerts me to being careful. I've driven through Aachen and Freiburg after failing to spot their warning signs, with fingers crossed that I wouldn't get stopped. However, here in UK, things are controlled by ANPR cameras, so I know I'll be in trouble.

My van is probably worth £16-20k: I wouldn't like to lose that value BUT I've had over 15y of pleasure out of it. Would I risk £30k? Have I got £60-80k to future-proof (ha-ha) my vehicle? Not easy questions to answer, but as an OAP I have to accept that the number of years left to me as a driver are getting fewer and fewer; perhaps "SAGA Holidays" will be next? So I will probably stick with what I've got and you have to make your own choice, I'm afraid :(.

Gordon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Orca Brody
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thanks Gordon. I definitely don’t have 60-80k to future proof my vehicle. I’m sure when folk bought a Euro 5 rated vehicle 10-15 years ago, they probably thought they were future proof for a lot longer than they were. I’m sure it will be the same with the Euro 6 rated vehicles. The charges will likely rise too. If I did buy this motorhome, I’d hope to get 10-15 years out of it. It all comes down to what I can do with the money I have right now. I seem to hear so many stories about people saving their money to do whatever with when they retire and they end up never getting to do it. Thanks for your input.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 2012 Adria Coral from new.
I have no concerns about it’s age or any emissions zones it is very unlikely I will want enter any cities.
Assuming it’s a 2.3 the Cam belt should have been done for the second time last year, that would be a must for me.
Also I think a decent damp check is far more important than a hab inspection.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Orca Brody
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thanks Phill. The damp check would be included in the habitation check. I have a decent damp meter from y time with the caravan but would rather trust an expert when it's this much money.

I agree that I'd not want to take the motorhome to any of the cities but I'd imagine it will expand to large towns etc. It's not a huge worry to me at the moment.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
As Phill D has said , you also need to make very sure that the cambelt has been replaced , and when , if there is any doubt about it , allow for a new one to be fitted in the purchase price and get it done yourself before using the Motorhome .

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Would help greatly if you put up a link to said vehicle.
You never know, one of the group may even know the van personally so you would be able to get invaluable knowledge and advise.

Personally for me the engine should have been looked after and while not bullet proof they are good and should last you.
Go into it with your nose to check for smells, stick your damp meter in every bit you can, if seller objects ask why, then if it meets your first checks get the professional in.

john

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I cannot believe mine is as old as it is. Didn't worry about the future spent the cash and had some great times not worried about ULEZ until I drove the car to Bristol airport and cost £9.00 good thing the van was on the drive dont know how much it would cost but if I really want to use the van in charge zone I'd pay it as long as its not every day
buy what you can afford , every time I think about changing mine (the thought never lasts) i think how many jollies would the extra pay for

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
30k for a 2012 Rapido is very cheap ! Make sure everything checks out correctly 😉
Edit If the door shuts and locks from outside it will simply need adjustment

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I Have a 2016 Euro 5 Rapido van and live on the outskirts of Bristol. The Low Emission Zone introduced in November is a bit of a faff, because my normal route from home to the motorway just clips the edge of the LEZ on the Cumberland Basin and the van isn't compliant, so I have to use a less convenient route along country lanes to avoid paying, but hey ho...

Having said that - I'm really not worried about the introduction of LEZs and apart from the example above, I can't see it bothering or affecting me for the foreseeable future. And I guess if it contributes to improving air quality in the city, so much the better. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2022
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ready to purchase
Hi, is this the one near you? has a few other issues like curtain around drop down bed? i was 99% going to buy that one but im in notts and it was near you. Probably needs a few diy bits doing to it. The only concern i had was if it needs the few cosmetic issues has it been neglected. I tried to get the price down but £32k was the best price. Hope that helps. Could send you my correspondence with seller if it is that one if your unsure. ive now bought a 2014 but paid £39k the other was really tempting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
It would help if you said what model it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Orca Brody
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
As Phill D has said , you also need to make very sure that the cambelt has been replaced , and when , if there is any doubt about it , allow for a new one to be fitted in the purchase price and get it done yourself before using the Motorhome .
Hi. The cambelt was replaced in 2020.
Would help greatly if you put up a link to said vehicle.
You never know, one of the group may even know the van personally so you would be able to get invaluable knowledge and advise.

Personally for me the engine should have been looked after and while not bullet proof they are good and should last you.
Go into it with your nose to check for smells, stick your damp meter in every bit you can, if seller objects ask why, then if it meets your first checks get the professional in.

john
I've got a decent damp meter and it had a hab check last August but will likely get another inspection if I were to buy t.
I cannot believe mine is as old as it is. Didn't worry about the future spent the cash and had some great times not worried about ULEZ until I drove the car to Bristol airport and cost £9.00 good thing the van was on the drive dont know how much it would cost but if I really want to use the van in charge zone I'd pay it as long as its not every day
buy what you can afford , every time I think about changing mine (the thought never lasts) i think how many jollies would the extra pay for
Agreed.
30k for a 2012 Rapido is very cheap ! Make sure everything checks out correctly 😉
Edit If the door shuts and locks from outside it will simply need adjustment
That's good to know.
I Have a 2016 Euro 5 Rapido van and live on the outskirts of Bristol. The Low Emission Zone introduced in November is a bit of a faff, because my normal route from home to the motorway just clips the edge of the LEZ on the Cumberland Basin and the van isn't compliant, so I have to use a less convenient route along country lanes to avoid paying, but hey ho...

Having said that - I'm really not worried about the introduction of LEZs and apart from the example above, I can't see it bothering or affecting me for the foreseeable future. And I guess if it contributes to improving air quality in the city, so much the better. :unsure:
I'm in a small town in Scotland but can see Edinburgh and Glasgow becoming an issue at some point.

Thanks again. You are all very helpful.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back