Looking after your E bike battery In winter.... (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
good article about looking after and maintaining your electric bike and and its battery, which is the most expensive replacement item. Article about hi end Bosch/Yamaha/Panasonic but applies to any lithium battery to be honest...

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/p...ail&utm_term=0_f28e005344-c690b81a57-79982381

One thing he does not say which I was advised to do. Is if storing for long periods say over the winter. Best to store at 60% and not fully charger. Then give it a short charge every month or so......

When using it regularly again, after fully charging don't turn it off but leave it on as this allows the BMS to balance the cells.....not all the time, just now and again.

Happy E biking! :)

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I don't trust or listen to people that tell me " Yes, we really know our stuff! " that is a conclusion I come to or not depending on the clarity of the explanation or from experience. I have had bitter experiences with "Experts" :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No ones "telling" you to do anything..its simply knowledge picked up over the years......take it or leave it!lol

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Sorry, I wasn't getting at your useful post it was just the "Expert". going by his experience I should be writing articles too. I have been using leccy golf trolleys for over 15 years and the care of the batteries are very similar. On my original trolley, (probably off my trolley ;)) but second battery. Admittedly not Lithium, the modern trolleys and leccy bikes are. My impression of Lithium are that they are easier to look after ? Anyway thanks for your post, timely advice, when it is turning colder now ! (y)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
:)
you would be surprised at the amount of people that put it away in the winter any old how in a cold garage etc.... and expect it to work perfectly next summer......You see the odd perplexed posts on e bike forums:whistle:

As it happens Martin one of the good guys and helpful even if you haven't bought from him...obviously his purpose is to bring attention to his business. But like motorhomes I buy my e bikes from Germany as better value. When the batteries are £500 a pop they are worth looking after!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our instructions tell us to charge the battery fully after every ride or overnight and charge it fully every month when not in use.
Allan

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Eddie, still got the Wisper, it's been a good buy. After a couple of months unused today I rode it on full assist until batteries ran out 58 KM at 4 years old pretty good. My question to you is any idea how long before new batteries are needed. Total mileage only 2000. Barrie

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ours have the new Samsung Lithium and acording to the literature are good for at least a 1000 charges. So at twice a week 10 years in theory.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Eddie, still got the Wisper, it's been a good buy. After a couple of months unused today I rode it on full assist until batteries ran out 58 KM at 4 years old pretty good. My question to you is any idea how long before new batteries are needed. Total mileage only 2000. Barrie

blimey Barrie you're on here as well! well done. Yes that was a real good buy (full carbon wisper 905 se from memory?) They are a a high capacity, quality battery so who can tell..Wisper will always get you a replacement when the time comes. you are learning why its best to buy quality....

Im getting a new e bike in a few weeks for christmas :) its a Reise & Muller Delite 2 mountain...smashing bike - full suspension

its got this rack as well for practicality..unusual on a full suspension bike to be able to carry loads. my bike in 2nd picture but with rack of this one. (cant get them in order)

11uawsj.jpg

2vifdpf.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So, are you selling your old one? :)

Old? do you mind :) I might be persuaded lol Bought it last November its a 2013 Haibike Xduro RC it has the larger capacity 400 Ah battery:

PM me if interested....

dgmbgo.jpg

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Yes after a lot of looking, and I like being in the H C I. I am really pleased with the van, head for Spain early JAN. Barrie

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi we have had electric bikes for about 4 years and we were told to take the batteries off the bike keep indoors and charge every 4/6 weeks seems to work (the li on batteries dont like low temps)

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Eddies bikes are always top gear.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cheers Barrie. so what model is that?

Mike its a very reasonable lightly used buy...PM me you might be surprised:D. Had not thought about selling...but it might be an idea

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Since i had my new knee i have had no problems at all with my bikes power supply. A good healthy ration of red wine and some good grub and works perfectly. BUSBY:):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back