looking after the Chassis (1 Viewer)

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Having just bought an 2004 Bessacarr E745 which is in truly amazing condition, and low mielage (7,000) too I want to keep it that way.

The chassis is an alko chassis which appears to be galvansied and should last. Any attention or care needed there?

One concern I have is where the alko bit meets the cab bit, if you know where I mean. It stops being galvanised and starts being painted metal, and near tio the front wheels is going to get some stone chips... There are signs of stome chips already with some very minor surface rust around each chip

What do you guys do with this, does it need some attention, id so what would you suggest..? Pleeeeeaaaase??

Corky 8

Free Member
Oct 28, 2007
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
off and on since the 70 s
Hiya, We bought a 04 Bessacarr E720 two berth 2.8tjd in October this year from Barron,s now Discover, in Darlington, End U lounge, 8,790 mls which is also on an Alko chassis/Fiat cab cowl and is excellent condition, I was informed it could make Any Warrantee void if I were to underseal /Paint the Alko part of the Chassis the same goes for any holes made , I dont think there would be any problem with the Fiat Chassis getting a coat of underseal or for that matter a hammer right type paint . We think the Bessacarr,s are the bees knees of Caravans / Motorhomes ,we traded in our Caravan specifically to buy a Bessacarr. We have not had the opportunity to stay overnight in Merlin as its called (so called by my son who reacons it must be Magic to make me part with that kind of Money) but have had a few nice days out ,it Drives really well , very responsive ,and considering its on a comercial based engine /Chassis doesnt roll or wallow as much as some 4x4 I have had, were planning on our first trip over the Channel in May next year, still in the process of buying things , now only need a reversing camera and then cruise control ,and later on refillable gas containers. So I will be watching with interest how you get on with your Trip over the Channel , So Good Luck and Safe Journies , Corky:thumb:

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
thanks Corky, the alko part looks spot on and blemish free so it's only the Fiat part that concernes me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

docted

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
Hi for the fiat part waxoyl is one of the better products to apply: don't put it on the alko chassis which should not need it .

docted

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just a thought, Stueysheep, there are a couple of grease nipples on the Alko chassis that need attention every year with the wheels lifted clear of the deck. Torsion bars are prone to seize otherwise and the only cure is a completely new rear axle at £££s. Hadn't thought to check for rusting where it joins the cab, though, so thanks for raising that. I'll go and take a peek and report back if there's any bother.

Our 9-year-old Bessie's still going strong in all departments at 76,000 and rising, if that's any encouragement. Love it to pieces.

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Right, no sooner said than done - just had a look at the join between Fiat and Alko while the idea was in my head and although there are some signs of very light corrosion there it doesn't look like anything to worry about. Having said that, when the weather warms up I'll give the area a quick dose of Waxoyl.

The galvanised Alko bits all look just fine, as you'd expect.

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
I understood that the post-95 cabs are constructed of galvanised panels and certainly (touching wood) all seems to be well so far.

BUT the front chassis cross member on these cabs does not appear to be galvanised and on my van is crumbling away:Sad:

It is bolted in place so in theory should be a straight forward replacement, however bitter experience of dealing with elderly vehicles suggests that bolts may shear or captive nuts may twist round. Has anyone replaced this cross member or had the job done and did it come off easily?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
Not normally a problem with them, BUT there is alway one!!
Plenty of penertrating oil every day for a week or so before attemping to remove should see you problem free
Geo
As for galvanised panels on the cab thats news to me

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The vast majority of corrosion happens from inside out:whatthe:
you would be well advised to drill a hole in the Fiat chassis 12" past the last bolt where the Alko sections join and apply waxol to the inside with the propriety pump trying to get as much in between the two chassis rails as possible by jacking up the front to aid flow, having said that modern chassis are nothing like their older cousins for corrosion, and are not a problem
Geo

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Hi
As for galvanised panels on the cab thats news to me

:cry::cry::cry: (remembering the Talbot, luckily I've still got all the potions and pastes)

BTW thanks for prompt reply, been missing your input!

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Is an Alco chassis made of aluminium?

I alway thorght that the Alco Chassis was made of aluminium but I must be wrong because you can not galvanize aluminium.

Doug.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
One concern I have is where the alko bit meets the cab bit, if you know where I mean. It stops being galvanised and starts being painted metal, and near to the front wheels is going to get some stone chips... There are signs of stome chips already with some very minor surface rust around each chip

What do you guys do with this, does it need some attention, id so what would you suggest..? Pleeeeeaaaase??
You won't go far wrong with a WaxOyl type of product. But use a spray gun or aerosol. It's not cheap....but it works!

As an example i used it to coat some braided copper wire for a longwire aerial for shortwave radio equipment. The aerial wire was dipped in waxoyl then hoisted up on a mast. Fifteen years later it's still there after being battered by all kinds of horrendous weather.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You won't go far wrong with a WaxOyl type of product. But use a spray gun or aerosol. It's not cheap....but it works!

As an example i used it to coat some braided copper wire for a longwire aerial for shortwave radio equipment. The aerial wire was dipped in waxoyl then hoisted up on a mast. Fifteen years later it's still there after being battered by all kinds of horrendous weather.

Plus point there is...I bet the birds don't land/roost on it.
Too bloody slippery.::bigsmile:

Used waxoyl on my previous one.Just watch out for the wind direction when doing it.:Eeek:

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

If the Alko chassis is out of warranty would it hurt to coat that in Waxoyl as well as I have noticed that some of the parts connected to the galvanised section have started to show light rusting

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Usual killer on motorhomes is your breath condensing in the outer skin, and running down to puddle on the floor.
Ditto steam from cooking and washing.

The only cure/prevention I know is the air your van thoroughly every day when it's in use on cool nights.

If you park it over the winter, the sun warms one side, the damp migrates to the other side.
Turing the van occasionally during the winter, airing or using a dehumidifier all help reduce the damage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back