Look what the wind has done to my awning. (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don't know awnings are mounted, the photo just struck me as we were just talking about the high mounting earlier.

@RidersofRohan so sorry to read of your struggles with snow now as well to contend with. Best of luck on getting it sorted.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You sneaked in whilst I was replying. :D

We had the F65 on our previous camper and on our current one with no problems at all, I suspect it was a combination of the long awning length and very strong gusts that has caused the issue for you, if you can get it back into shape and fit the 'clip' things that Bev has mentioned I should imagine you won't have any problems in the future ... hopefully! Don't know how you get hold of the clips things though!

We bought the awning, that came with the clips as standard, from johns cross. With funsters discount too.
So maybe they could source them for you.
We are heading up to Hawes in a couple of hours it's wet , snowy, and very blowy so I hope they work.
We've had no problems with it buckling so far. And we've been in some very windy ,open ,high up places. So fingers crossed.
Hope you get it sorted @RidersofRohan

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I have only had one experience of Fiamma's warranty and it was very good, our 9 month old caravan zip awning was out when the wind started to get up we we had nearly rolled it up when a freak gust of wind blew in wrapped a few other awnings across roofs, and caused us to give a sort of Mexican wave which split the awning across a welded seam in the material.
We reported it to the supplier who said they would contact Fiamma but did not hold out much hope.
So I sent some photos and a report to Fiamma, got a phone call 2 days later asking what size and colour the awning was and they sent me a complete new zip awning roof, sides curtains the lot.
2 weeks later the supplier also sent me a new roof section so I ended up with 2 awnings and sold the old one on ebay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Happened to us too in Italy....Managed to strap it up for travel and. BIt the bullet and bought a new one ('old' one was only 6 months old) as dealer tried but failed to fix it. Lesson to self....Never leave it open if away from van!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Happened to us too in Italy....Managed to strap it up for travel and. BIt the bullet and bought a new one ('old' one was only 6 months old) as dealer tried but failed to fix it. Lesson to self....Never leave it open if away from van!
This one on the OP was closed.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
If it was closed when this happened, contact the manufacturer as not fit for purpose, they could repair it

Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
Why not Google "fiamma awning repairers" lot of information and may be of use to you, though you've probably got it fixed by now.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Here is a photo of the case clips instructions
tmp_7435-20170115_143210-1503623512.jpg

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
View attachment 141965
Thanks.
I have checked the Mounting Instructions I received with the kit and it does not include any reference to a Case Cover fixing kit, and indeed no fixings for the case were supplied.
Reference 98692-854 Rev C.
Clearly at some point someone decided that these clips were no longer needed.
I am expecting a reply from my supplier who has been in contact with the UK distributor regarding the warranty. Initially they asked if I lived on a hill "because it could be very windy". I said I did and could look out onto the M62 which at 1300 ft is Britain's highest motorway, so are you saying the warranty doesn't cover driving on the M62?
We will see what the reply is. Fingers crossed at the moment.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
View attachment 141965
& that is the bit that is missing & referred to in the earlier links regarding the same damage.
Thanks.
I have checked the Mounting Instructions I received with the kit and it does not include any reference to a Case Cover fixing kit, and indeed no fixings for the case were supplied.
Reference 98692-854 Rev C.
Clearly at some point someone decided that these clips were no longer needed.
I am expecting a reply from my supplier who has been in contact with the UK distributor regarding the warranty. Initially they asked if I lived on a hill "because it could be very windy". I said I did and could look out onto the M62 which at 1300 ft is Britain's highest motorway, so are you saying the warranty doesn't cover driving on the M62?
We will see what the reply is. Fingers crossed at the moment.
It is the above part that the earlier links referred to being supplied to correct the problem. Can't see why they would discontinue unless they'd made the casing of thicker material ?
Doesn't look like they have .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We didn't get them either and there doesn't appear to be anywhere to buy them.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My f65 was only fitted in September. The clips were not fitted. Because I had heard of the issue I fitted them myself. When I queried them about the clips at the dealer I was told they never have fitted them and never had issues.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Had the same problem on mine which was fixed under warranty and now has the clip fitted.

While they were debating whether it was covered under warranty I checked the Fiamma Web site and found they sell the cover as a separate part and from memory it was not that expensive.

Allan

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Had the same problem on mine which was fixed under warranty and now has the clip fitted.

While they were debating whether it was covered under warranty I checked the Fiamma Web site and found they sell the cover as a separate part and from memory it was not that expensive.

Allan
thanks Allen.
The casing top part is Ā£170.
They have asked for more details such as the serial number, so I'll need to go up the ladder again!

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Update:
Fiamma in Italy have agreed to replace the top casing FOC, which is very pleasing.
They are sending a replacement over.
My UK supplier is Johns Cross and they took the matter up with the UK Fiamma distributor Nova Leisure who then referred it to Fiamma in Italy.
Not sure how to proceed with the repair itself, think it might be a trip darn sarf and see if Johns Cross will fit it, and whether there is a charge for that.
Anyway I am pleased with the reaction from Fiamma.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Update:
Fiamma in Italy have agreed to replace the top casing FOC, which is very pleasing.
They are sending a replacement over.
My UK supplier is Johns Cross and they took the matter up with the UK Fiamma distributor Nova Leisure who then referred it to Fiamma in Italy.
Not sure how to proceed with the repair itself, think it might be a trip darn sarf and see if Johns Cross will fit it, and whether there is a charge for that.
Anyway I am pleased with the reaction from Fiamma.
Your comment is quite old now (I'm writing in Feb 2023) so I expect all is fine with your awning (if indeed it is still yours & you've not changed your van at least twice since then!) but for anyone like me who'se finding this thread anew, you might like to check the discussion link below, the point of which is that I had a similar problem & fixed it by just reaching out through the rooflight & pressing down on the errant aluminium. Hope that works for anyone else with this problem, which, to change the subject slightly abruptly, rather reminds me of when a pregnant woman has a miscarriage - you can think you're alone but then discover people with the same experience are all around you & ready to offer support if only you let people know about yours. Don't be secretive about it. šŸ˜˜

Fiamma F65S awning damage - repairable?​

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Your comment is quite old now (I'm writing in Feb 2023) so I expect all is fine with your awning (if indeed it is still yours & you've not changed your van at least twice since then!) but for anyone like me who'se finding this thread anew, you might like to check the discussion link below, the point of which is that I had a similar problem & fixed it by just reaching out through the rooflight & pressing down on the errant aluminium. Hope that works for anyone else with this problem, which, to change the subject slightly abruptly, rather reminds me of when a pregnant woman has a miscarriage - you can think you're alone but then discover people with the same experience are all around you & ready to offer support if only you let people know about yours. Don't be secretive about it. šŸ˜˜

Fiamma F65S awning damage - repairable?​

I no longer own the van.
The top piece did arrive from Italy and it turned out to be reasonably easy to fix. My son helped me, otherwise it would have been awkward due to the length of it 4 metres I think.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I no longer own the van.
The top piece did arrive from Italy and it turned out to be reasonably easy to fix. My son helped me, otherwise it would have been awkward due to the length of it 4 metres I think.
Great news then, thanks for the update!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back