Look what came out of my gas line. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_3670.JPG
IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG
IMG_3674.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG
This dirty oil came out of the gas line when I loosened the connection on my bottle today. The bottle has been refilled before,might have been at a Shell station or Asda. :mad:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
should be ok as the regulator is higher might be worth opening the other end and draining it out but dont introduce and liquids

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The cylinder you have disconnected looks like a German propane one which is not intended for user refilling. The oily substance is normal, it's in propane due to it being derived from oil in the first place.

D.
You are quite correct Dave,what a naughty boy I'am and I'am glad someone else has said where the oil comes from instead of all this rubbish about it's from the rubber hoses. :Grin:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You are quite correct Dave,what a naughty boy I'am and I'am glad someone else has said where the oil comes from instead of all this rubbish about it's from the rubber hoses. :Grin:
I appreciate what you say about rubber hoses but Calor did accept that they'd changed their mix and there was a slight determination effect on rubber hoses. Mine was affected so it's not an urban myth and a far cry from the gassing threads.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I agree that condensate can happen and that is why I have fitted a filter on my regulator, to intercept anything that gets that far. I am just wondering whether the non refillable cylinder might be contrubuting in this case. Presumably it doesn't have the 80% cut off valve and if it was overfilled perhaps liquid is getting into the pipe and evaporating there, leaving some residue behind. No I am not an expert and I am hoping someone on here can answer this, just an observation.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No it was not overfilled,the German bottle comes clearly marked as to the amount of either Propane or Butane that the bottle can hold.It was filled to a conservative amount and checked when I got home,hence why you see writing on the bottle. As Dave said oil is present in LPG as it is a derivative of OIL,albeit in very small quantities.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
G
I agree that condensate can happen and that is why I have fitted a filter on my regulator, to intercept anything that gets that far. I am just wondering whether the non refillable cylinder might be contrubuting in this case. Presumably it doesn't have the 80% cut off valve and if it was overfilled perhaps liquid is getting into the pipe and evaporating there, leaving some residue behind. No I am not an expert and I am hoping someone on here can answer this, just an observation.
Generally ALL cylinders have a cut off valve when reached the correct fill. The appropriate Gas Suppliers have to have that to save over fill. However, it may not work with other systems that are attempting to refill cylinders without authorisation.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
G

Generally ALL cylinders have a cut off valve when reached the correct fill. The appropriate Gas Suppliers have to have that to save over fill. However, it may not work with other systems that are attempting to refill cylinders without authorisation.
The Calor bottles I've turned into woodburners definitely haven't. They are refilled by weight - there's no cut-off.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The Calor bottles I've turned into woodburners definitely haven't. They are refilled by weight - there's no cut-off.
I assume they're older ones as I know the more up to date cylinders have.
The older depots of calor worked by input fill whereas different suppliers work from internal cut off valves.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had a German bottle refilled in Belgium on our way home from buying the van. The filling was done at a legitimate refilling plant called Westgas Ieper BVBA. This was done in a dedicated part of the plant where only the person filling the bottle was allowed. I could see from a distance that, they weighed the bottle and filled it according to the scales. No cut off valve in the bottle.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Why risk blowing your shelf or sumone else in a garage to bits
The price of a big posh motor home surlay a refilibill system could be affordable
Scar's me that folks actually do that

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Why risk blowing your shelf or sumone else in a garage to bits
The price of a big posh motor home surlay a refilibill system could be affordable
Scar's me that folks actually do that
is there really a risk?
the pump supposed to cut out as the pressure used reaches about 90% full anyway.
cant really see its anymore dangerous .
but then i tend to use spanish bottles as they are cheaper than gpl.
plus if going to morocco bottled gas there is give away prices .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
is there really a risk?
the pump supposed to cut out as the pressure used reaches about 90% full anyway.
cant really see its anymore dangerous .
but then i tend to use spanish bottles as they are cheaper than gpl.
plus if going to morocco bottled gas there is give away prices .
There marked none refilibill for a reason for incedents do happen ok maybe the OP knows what he's doing but dose every Reeder of this forum sure there's sum idiot out there who will see this practes on this forum and no one has condemd it and basikly be hooking up any old gas bottle and turning up and filling there bombs
I am sure that if I had posted as the op has there would have been a few condeming my actions
It only takes one incedent at a Autogas point for motorhome to be band from filling up
I cartanly like the flexibility of legal refilibill bottals
And would not want to be restricted in toping up my bottals and there is the insurance inplecations if it all gose wrong
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The cylinder you have disconnected looks like a German propane one which is not intended for user refilling. The oily substance is normal, it's in propane due to it being derived from oil in the first place.

D.
Well spotted @dave newell lvs
Seeing this I wonder how many acualy do this filling non user filibill bombs
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'm with @Wildbill on this one. It might not even take an incident, the mere suspicion that some motorhomes are using uncertified bottles could get us all banned from forecourts.
And prudly complaining abut a bit of condencat and illegal bottils attach to a refill sytem could be a home goale
Bill

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've used Cadac non-refillable bottles in southern Africa.

Each newly refilled bottle had a warning label around the valve - "prior to use, always open valve for 1 to 2 seconds to ensure ONLY vapour is discharged, in a well ventilated space away from sources of ignition".

Sounds like a good precaution for those who refill non-refillable bottles (or have their bottles recharged by a commercial enterprise).

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have recently had to temporarily remove my gasit system and had the same thing. Glad I also fitted an inline filter which I will change whilst the system is off and is easier to get at. I would definitely be concerned that without a filter all that gunge would be heading for the fridge o_O

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I have recently had to temporarily remove my gasit system and had the same thing. Glad I also fitted an inline filter which I will change whilst the system is off and is easier to get at. I would definitely be concerned that without a filter all that gunge would be heading for the fridge o_O
Doesn't get that far, it clogs the regulator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
And prudly complaining abut a bit of condencat and illegal bottils attach to a refill sytem could be a home goale
Bill
It's not an illegal bottle,it's a German bottle that came with my van AND it's not attached to my Alugas refill system.I'am getting another Alugas bottle at the weekend so the German bottles are up for grabs if anyone is interested,still some gas in one.;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's not an illegal bottle,it's a German bottle that came with my van AND it's not attached to my Alugas refill system.I'am getting another Alugas bottle at the weekend so the German bottles are up for grabs if anyone is interested,still some gas in one.;)

Perhaps being clearer in your earlier response would have made it clear you were NOT refilling an owner non-refillable one ... however I'm not convinced that you're not doing so ... :rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Wildbill will you please stop using predictive text!
It does my head in trying to read your very informative, but challenging to read posts!
Thank You Very much:)

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Wildbill will you please stop using predictive text!
It does my head in trying to read your very informative, but challenging to read posts!
Thank You Very much:)
I like it,it's great fun deciphering them.;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back