Longterm scooter insurance for Europe (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Question for those who longterm in Europe, who do you use for your scooter insurance? Most seem to be 90 days max

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You could have a look at this previous thread, although ebike now will only give 90 days cover. I think you may need to do some ringing around.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorcycle-insurance-for-more-than-90-days.145641/
Yeah I had seen that thread and a couple of others but they hadn't come to much of a solution.
I had an existing policy with devitts on my bandit so I've switched the insurance from that to the scooter just now as it was paid till March 2018 it has 90 days cover so will cover Me from January till March anyway and then I guess I'll just have to renew with someone else then

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just use a cheap one then any insurance you take out in the eu covers you for all eu countries even if only the minimum.thats for the term of the policy.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
All insurance seems to revert to minimum for country in ie. Third party only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use Carole Nash.

Previously used Bennett’s until they got silly with the renewal premiums.

Both gave us 90 day cover for any one trip. We usually spend six months in Europe, but split into two separate trips, so fine for us.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just went with bikesure who increased cover to 180 days .I will need to take a new policy after that as we are in Europe almost all year

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just went with bikesure who increased cover to 180 days .I will need to take a new policy after that as we are in Europe almost all year
I've had problems with bikesure in the past so I wouldn't use them ...but 180 days isn't bad.

My existing policy runs out in March so that will cover my first few months then I'll see what their renewal quote is and shop around then if need be.
Can't seem to find any that gives unlimited cover. But while we are part of the eu technically it should be covered anyway
Mine wasn't an expensive bike

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In Spain and Portugal there are companies that will insure UK plated vehicles at reasonable prices. You will need a proof of no claims if you want it. I have used them myself with Portuguese plated vehicles and know quite a few people who have had no problems with them.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Standard 90 days but they raised it to 180.
125cc scooter ,0 no claims,250 excess.
Cost 320.00
I'm with devitts at the minute 2 years no claims 100 excess cost £95 for the year

But I did go from a 1250 bandit to a 125 scooter lol

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
In Spain and Portugal there are companies that will insure UK plated vehicles at reasonable prices. You will need a proof of no claims if you want it. I have used them myself with Portuguese plated vehicles and know quite a few people who have had no problems with them.

The BIG problem with that is that it's not up to the insurer to ensure that your vehicle remains legal to be guesting in that country, it's up to you.
The absolute maximum time that a vehicle from one EU Member State can be used on the public roads in another Member State is 6 months.
(During which time it must, if a British registered vehicle, continue at all times to have current VED and MOT).

They'll take your premium, but will look for any reason not to pay out in the event of any accident or claim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back