Longleat Site Fishing (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We are off to the C&MC site next week and I thought I might take my fishing tackle and do a day on the lake.
Rang up the site to see what the procedure is and the lady said it’s nothing to do with their site and she wasn’t sure how to get on the lake.
Anybody stayed at this site and fished before?

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
See that thanks but cannot find anything to say how far it is to walk to the lake, I seem to have gained a lot of stuff over the years😁😁 obviously need it all😁
You can check the distance as a straight line, or by foot or by car from and to anywhere by using Google Maps.

For example
Longleat.JPG

Longleat 2.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
You can check the distance by using Google Maps.
Looked at that also but there are about 4 or 5 lakes so don’t want to be going to the wrong one and catching a Sea-lion or Hippo😂😂

Also no idea if there is a direct path or you have to go in the main entrance.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Campsite is opposite side to Shearwater lake takes around 15/20 minutes by car😊

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Only have the baby one😁😁

Might look at a toad for certain trips...
If it's too far from one's Palace one could take a taxi. One knows one's worth it.

Last edited:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
stayed here last year, nice site and the lake is on the site. (Course fishing)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
You can check the distance as a straight line, or by foot or by car from and to anywhere by using Google Maps.

For example
View attachment 487991

View attachment 487993

That's the lake that they do the boat safari on. The island is Gorilla Island. There are hippos in this lake!

I'm not sure you will be able to fish at the moment as access to the lakes is through the entrance gates (pedestrian gate from the site), and you have to pre-book entry.
It is a bit of a trek on foot from the caravan site.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Shearwater is in a completely different part of the estate and you would have to drive from the caravan site.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's the lake that they do the boat safari on. The island is Gorilla Island. There are hippos in this lake
It’s Shearwater that they do the fishing on😊

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
There are 3 lakes that are within Longleat itself. They are, or at least were open for fishing. If you stood at the front of Longleat House and looked out along the straight drive, they are off to the left, parallel with the road.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There are 3 lakes that are within Longleat itself. They are, or at least were open for fishing. If you stood at the front of Longleat House and looked out along the straight drive, they are off to the left, parallel with the road.
Taken from their brochure.

SHEAR WATER LAKE​

Longleat Estate offers some of the highest quality coarse fishing available in Britain in its superb lakes and set in beautiful surroundings in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside

Shear Water Lake is a fabulous 36 acre lake set in stunning scenery near Warminster, Wiltshire and is a fishery very much on the up and caters for all kinds of anglers with its wide variety of fish.

Below the main lake at Shear Water is Little Shear Water that holds an excellent head of ghosties, mirrors and common carp to over 20lb, while in the winter months the fishery comes into its own as a pike fishery.

Whatever you want to fish for and with whatever the tactics you wish to use Shear Water is an ideal venue for all anglers who can enjoy a real days sport in a wonderful setting.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Unfortunately longleat estate closed the lakes. They have had really bad issues with algae over the years and emptied the lakes. Shearwater was still being fished but they haven’t reopened since covid. Shame as I use to fish the top lake at longleat and had some cracking fishing. It’s five min walk from caravan site if they ever decided to open them again. You can go out the back way to shearwater by the Bath arms pub if inside the main Estate. But think they shut access from caravan part. Not 100% sure though. Nick the bailiff was/is a family friend and I’ve not spoken to him for a while. They said they put all fish in shearwater. Not sure I believe it. Rumours they also had otters in the longleat complex which may have helped them decide to close them

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Ah ok. I wasn't sure about the estate lakes. I knew they were once very good fishing (especially the top lake as you say). I fished them and Shearwater as a Teenager....too many years ago now!
We often walk around Shearwater and there are some very big Carp in there....you see them come to the surface often.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just go down the nearest chippy and get chips with your fish.... much nicer. :cheers:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Just go down the nearest chippy and get chips with your fish.... much nicer. :cheers:
I’m sure that fishing is a most enjoyable experience (loved sea fishing out of Whitby when I was younger), however is it not just a mobile shed excuse i.e "ok I’m off fishing darling see you later" 😀😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back