Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just a thought:rolleyes:

While browsing through some photos of motor homes on ferries I noticed there was a preponderance of longitudinal affixed solar panels. (Yes, I know, I should get out more:D). Which got me thinking is there a technical reason for this phenomenon or is it merely standardisation of available roof space?

I'm going for a lie down now. I''ll check back later:cautious:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think its more down to spatial configuration , as sunlight is not longitudinal or transverse , and moving vehicle will change orientation anyway . :)
ps I have two long and 1 sideways or is that 2 sideways and one long ? :D2

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Less wind resistance if you put them longitudinally, I would guess :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
How come everyone on this thread can spell? Is the question so important that it attracts only the cleverest?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
20180811_095410.jpg

I couldn't make my mind up Phil, I suppose it depends on where the :sun::sun: is and how low it is.:LOL:
Someone more technical will know the correct answer, ;) so I will stay in the undecided and put one each way. :pop: Bob.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Reminds me of:
I fitted some new wheel trims on my mums car a few months ago while it was at our house. Made the wheels look much nicer. I sent her a photo of one of them and put a foot note on "oh bugger, one of the VW badges are upside down"
She sent back "no one will notice" :ROFLMAO:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I rather expect that fitters (and manufacturers) fix them in whatever manner makes their life easiest, with the connections close to wherever the wires come up and laid out away from that. Without constraint (although I'm not sure that they consider shading) it would seem natural to lay them along with the line of the roof (I'm not sure that they worry too much about wind resistance, either).
I wouldn't expect 'normal' people to take the trouble to look. What's out of sight is expected to be out of mind. I'm certain that aesthetics will not come into it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I put 2 transverse semi-flexible ones on our camper, however if I had been putting on rigid ones I might have put them on longitudinally as the fixings tend to only be in the corners so more 'strength' driving into the wind with a shorter edge ... and more streamlined not that it would make much difference with all the other gubbings that stick out from a camper!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
View attachment 284896
I couldn't make my mind up Phil, I suppose it depends on where the :sun::sun: is and how low it is.:LOL:
Someone more technical will know the correct answer, ;) so I will stay in the undecided and put one each way. :pop: Bob.
You could have got that lateral one longitudinal behind the centre roof vent.:)Far more aesthetically pleasing.(y)

I always look at that big sloping part above the front window & think "what a waste"

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I put one on my last van transversely as I could get it between 2 roof lights but the 3 others were longitudinally.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Martin - was the sat dish put on after your solar panels or before? Personally I'd have put the panels as far forward from it as possible to avoid shading issues, but if the panels were already on or you got the MH like that there's no point in moving stuff around.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin - was the sat dish put on after your solar panels or before? Personally I'd have put the panels as far forward from it as possible to avoid shading issues, but if the panels were already on or you got the MH like that there's no point in moving stuff around.
The original Poly was on and I put the 3 Mono's on, the dish is never up during the day so no problem(y) the 3 Mono's are on a different controller to stop any issues.

Martin

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just a thought:rolleyes:

While browsing through some photos of motor homes on ferries I noticed there was a preponderance of longitudinal affixed solar panels. (Yes, I know, I should get out more:D). Which got me thinking is there a technical reason for this phenomenon or is it merely standardisation of available roof space?

I'm going for a lie down now. I''ll check back later:cautious:

there is a simple formula for deciding;;;

you take the average angle of the sun. multiply it by the height of the roof f the van ; take away the angle at which your van is going to be parked at, add the width of your van divided by 2.
then
stick it down...(y)

Sorry!! really sorry !!:whistle:

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
[QUOTE="two, post: 3220340, member: 17624"
I wouldn't expect 'normal' people to take the trouble to look. What's out of sight is expected to be out of mind. I'm certain that aesthetics will not come into it.[/QUOTE]

Probably not “normal” people, but when “they” park you on deck, on the ferry, on outward and homeward leg of ferry to Santander, then everybody gets to look at your roof!
In my case no solar panels, just green crud.
Must get some panels.
But how to set them out ?

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
[QUOTE="two, post: 3220340, member: 17624"
I wouldn't expect 'normal' people to take the trouble to look. What's out of sight is expected to be out of mind. I'm certain that aesthetics will not come into it.

Probably not “normal” people, but when “they” park you on deck, on the ferry, on outward and homeward leg of ferry to Santander, then everybody gets to look at your roof!
In my case no solar panels, just green crud.
Must get some panels.
But how to set them out ?[/QUOTE]

Damn good question:LOL:

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just one of my 'moments of madness:D2'

Thanks for all the helpful:D2 and witty:p responses.(y)

:getmecoat:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back