Long well longish drive to Devon (1 Viewer)

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
Have booked into a site in Devon for a weeks stay and was looking at doing it with a few pit stops from Durham.
Has anyone ' snoozed' in their motorhomes at service stations during long journey's? Well heeding the advice tiredness kills..take a break. Without specifying the length of the break :)

Thanks for any assistance, as it's a weekend most sites I have tried have stipulated a minimum of 2 nights stay.

Steve

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Most service stations on the motorways have a 2 hour time limit before charging high prices. So beware of where and how long you stay.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I use maps (remember them!) to find a couple of "escape routes" in advance for if I'm tired - just look for parallel A roads that will enable you to leave at one junction, find a layby for a snooze, and then rejoin the motorway further on.

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Most service stations on the motorways have a 2 hour time limit before charging high prices. So beware of where and how long you stay.
Not always too dear , and you get breakfast included but lay-bys where the lorrys park is my choice

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't chance it on the motorway stops. They use cameras to record number plates arriving and leaving.

But I would recommend taking the journey there as part of the trip, not something to be be got over with as quickly as possible. I returned from the north east of Scotland to Devon the other week and we took 3 nights over it, staying near Oban, Kendal and Ludlow, doing "only" 200 miles or so each day.

We stayed at campsites but on refection CLs might have been better.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not always too dear , and you get breakfast included but lay-bys where the lorrys park is my choice
We did this a couple of times whilst tugging, just hope you don't get a refrigerated wagon parking next to you, you WILL NOT sleep ! Find a nice CL instead.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
travelling cross country from East to west there is a very large layby next to the river in Snake pass that we use.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Hi,
Have booked into a site in Devon for a weeks stay and was looking at doing it with a few pit stops from Durham.
Has anyone ' snoozed' in their motorhomes at service stations during long journey's? Well heeding the advice tiredness kills..take a break. Without specifying the length of the break :)

Thanks for any assistance, as it's a weekend most sites I have tried have stipulated a minimum of 2 nights stay.

Steve

Here`s one in Somerset , cheap and chearful!

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back