Long terming in cabins or chalets?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    Has anyone considered this ?
    75% of the sites we have stayed in have very comfortable cabins winter and summer . If you stay more than 30 days the price is almost on a par with motorhome pitches. (25e a night)
    We were idly considering the option of getting a good car and doing this instead of motorhoming (yes i know I'd have to find another forum! )
    Reasons would be pure and simply flexibility of having a car and being able to buzz around and explore the area when camped . And not having the running and maintenance cost of the moho.
    We have just come to the end of our first year motorhoming and although we have loved it - a huge disadvantage has been not having wheels when camped and always dependent on public transport or hired cars (costly). With a large dog this has been very difficult as often buses and taxis refuse dogs. In a hilly country like Sicily we have not wanted to do day trips in Lenny Hymer
    I know we all love our motorhomes but could this be an option ?
    Also our nest egg is dwindling with around £800 in repairs after each 6 months touring (wing mirrors cracked, nearly all the wretched blinds broken, fridge leaking gas needing servicing bla bla). This would mean we could keep travelling within our pension without the expensive moho overheads.
    Any thoughts?

2. crabman

crabman Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +426
    sounds a good idea, as you say the costs would work out the same nearly, No darn MOT's , MH insurance or TAX, just health insurance, and if you do get fed up you can always jack it in and get another cheap MH and move off else where,

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ratings:
    +15,917
    If the areas you like and want to reside in, then it sounds ideal.
    Is your idea to stay long term in one particular chalet or move after so many months to another area?
    The basic reason why we haven't looked to deeply into chalet or static caravan is that it's changing one area to another with occasional commute between each place.
    If you have no roots anywhere, then I can understand either option. However, cars probably deprecate more than Mohos IMO.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    We would try and find places we would be happy for a month as we do in a moho (already found all the ones we need in Sicily ). We would probably tour around just as much as now but have to stay in occasional B and Bs Airbnbs or cheap hotels. We'd carry a small tent for emergencies in warm weather. We retain a small house in Norwich.

5. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,881
    Have you really been paying an average of €25 a night while you have been touring? :Eeek: I am not surprised your "nest egg" has dwindled so much. We pay an average of €8 a night.

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  6. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    I take your point but we would actually be travelling around much more due to flexibility.

7. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ratings:
    +15,917
    So does that mean different areas and how long in each approx? It sounds interesting to me having that flexibility.

8. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    We prefer campsites to aires once we've arrived in an area we want to stay. Average winter prices have been between 17 and 22. The extra on the chalets would be offset by the overall saving on not having a moho.

9. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Ratings:
    +22,118
    Have you asked for the pricing from all the places you've seen? I only ask because the local campsite to us in Spain doesn't reduce their cabins by anything like the amount you said.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,238
    Would you? The whole point of motorhoming is that you do not need to stay for too long on a "site". Just get up and move a few miles to the next one.

11. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,789
    Why would you want to spend any time away from sunny Norwich !

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like it Like it x 2
  12. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ratings:
    +15,917
    images (37).jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    We wouldn't stay longer if we didn't like it (although we will always compromise if we like the locality. We are very unfussy and flexible if we have to rough it a bit) I imagine it would be similar to what we just did which was stay 2-10 days all over Europe.
    We've only recently discovered the option of 'a month is cheaper' deal and were planning to do that in the moho anyway from now on.
    Skiing in March April is a big priority too but there are ample ski cabins.

14. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,881
    Do all these places with cabins usually allow dogs in them?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  15. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

Ratings:
    +2,054
    I was astounded at your price of 25 euros a night. I average about a euro a night in the summer for aires over a couple of months. I am a tight fisted or frugal git (depends which way you look at it).
    I presume you havent done much wild camping. it may not be your bag, which is fair enough, but if you were to go an area which you wanted to investigate, in general there is a place to stay alongside a lake, river, mountain view etc some of which can be stunning.
    With all that said/written, why not do what you are thinking about. I am actually considering renting a place in Corsica next Easter as it is a dam site cheaper to fly out there and rent than drive the motorhome and catch a couple of ferries.

Can i throw another one into the mix for consideration. My parents keep going on about going down to Benidorm for 3 months in the winter. I cant remember the costs but it was all inclusive and certain it was cheaper than the 25 euros. Dog might be an issue at a hotel though

• Love it Love it x 1
  16. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,789
    We just came back from a month in Benidorm, needed a break after my brothers death in November, not for us, we were in the Venus hotel on a full board basis, wanted to come home after two weeks, good job we had a car for 3 weeks to get up into the surrounding areas, (EDI car hire, El Campello, recommended firm, used twice now), each to his own they say.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +14,224
    I suggested this very thing in the caravan thread, if you are going to stay on a site for a length of time , why tug a van behind when you can rent a superior static or cabin, no need for a large car, real motorhoming is different , you go where you want when you want useing aires and the like.
    We go to the algarve every winter, but wouldn't dream of going in the van, just get a Ryanair flight from East Midlands for less than £50 return and a hotel for about £100 a week , wouldn't pay to get the van out of the yard.

• Like it Like it x 3
  18. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ratings:
    +15,917
    That intrigued me and thought ideal but then thought if it was for say 12 weeks then that's around £1300 which sounds more than ideal price but we have a dog but I think although your price is excellent, I think for somewhere around £1300, I could do 3 months with dog too. Not knocking your suggestion though

19. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +14,224
    Quite agree with you, but just looking at it from the ops point of view, I wouldn't dream of it myself , got to keep moving, a couple of days in one place is ample for me , we only do the algarve in mid winter just for a bit of sun, get fed up there after a couple of weeks.(y):)

• Like it Like it x 5
  20. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Ratings:
    +2,301
    I know the cabins on the campsite we were on in Spain you could not cook in them so you would have to eat out all the time .

I can see your point it may work out cheaper and you could get a very nice car for the cost of a motorhome when we were thinking of touring the USA in a van we were told by alot of americans buy a car and use cheap hotels it will work out cheaper.