Long terming in cabins or chalets? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone considered this ?
75% of the sites we have stayed in have very comfortable cabins winter and summer . If you stay more than 30 days the price is almost on a par with motorhome pitches. (25e a night)
We were idly considering the option of getting a good car and doing this instead of motorhoming (yes i know I'd have to find another forum! )
Reasons would be pure and simply flexibility of having a car and being able to buzz around and explore the area when camped . And not having the running and maintenance cost of the moho.
We have just come to the end of our first year motorhoming and although we have loved it - a huge disadvantage has been not having wheels when camped and always dependent on public transport or hired cars (costly). With a large dog this has been very difficult as often buses and taxis refuse dogs. In a hilly country like Sicily we have not wanted to do day trips in Lenny Hymer
I know we all love our motorhomes but could this be an option ?
Also our nest egg is dwindling with around £800 in repairs after each 6 months touring (wing mirrors cracked, nearly all the wretched blinds broken, fridge leaking gas needing servicing bla bla). This would mean we could keep travelling within our pension without the expensive moho overheads.
Any thoughts?

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
sounds a good idea, as you say the costs would work out the same nearly, No darn MOT's , MH insurance or TAX, just health insurance, and if you do get fed up you can always jack it in and get another cheap MH and move off else where,

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If the areas you like and want to reside in, then it sounds ideal.
Is your idea to stay long term in one particular chalet or move after so many months to another area?
The basic reason why we haven't looked to deeply into chalet or static caravan is that it's changing one area to another with occasional commute between each place.
If you have no roots anywhere, then I can understand either option. However, cars probably deprecate more than Mohos IMO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We would try and find places we would be happy for a month as we do in a moho (already found all the ones we need in Sicily ). We would probably tour around just as much as now but have to stay in occasional B and Bs Airbnbs or cheap hotels. We'd carry a small tent for emergencies in warm weather. We retain a small house in Norwich.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
If the areas you like and want to reside in, then it sounds ideal.
Is your idea to stay long term in one particular chalet or move after so many months to another area?
The basic reason why we haven't looked to deeply into chalet or static caravan is that it's changing one area to another with occasional commute between each place.
If you have no roots anywhere, then I can understand either option. However, cars probably deprecate more than Mohos IMO.
I take your point but we would actually be travelling around much more due to flexibility.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I take your point but we would actually be travelling around much more due to flexibility.
So does that mean different areas and how long in each approx? It sounds interesting to me having that flexibility.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Have you really been paying an average of €25 a night while you have been touring? :Eeek: I am not surprised your "nest egg" has dwindled so much. We pay an average of €8 a night.
We prefer campsites to aires once we've arrived in an area we want to stay. Average winter prices have been between 17 and 22. The extra on the chalets would be offset by the overall saving on not having a moho.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Have you asked for the pricing from all the places you've seen? I only ask because the local campsite to us in Spain doesn't reduce their cabins by anything like the amount you said.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Why would you want to spend any time away from sunny Norwich !
images (37).jpg

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
So does that mean different areas and how long in each approx? It sounds interesting to me having that flexibility.
We wouldn't stay longer if we didn't like it (although we will always compromise if we like the locality. We are very unfussy and flexible if we have to rough it a bit) I imagine it would be similar to what we just did which was stay 2-10 days all over Europe.
We've only recently discovered the option of 'a month is cheaper' deal and were planning to do that in the moho anyway from now on.
Skiing in March April is a big priority too but there are ample ski cabins.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have you really been paying an average of €25 a night while you have been touring? :Eeek: I am not surprised your "nest egg" has dwindled so much. We pay an average of €8 a night.
I was astounded at your price of 25 euros a night. I average about a euro a night in the summer for aires over a couple of months. I am a tight fisted or frugal git (depends which way you look at it).
I presume you havent done much wild camping. it may not be your bag, which is fair enough, but if you were to go an area which you wanted to investigate, in general there is a place to stay alongside a lake, river, mountain view etc some of which can be stunning.
With all that said/written, why not do what you are thinking about. I am actually considering renting a place in Corsica next Easter as it is a dam site cheaper to fly out there and rent than drive the motorhome and catch a couple of ferries.

Can i throw another one into the mix for consideration. My parents keep going on about going down to Benidorm for 3 months in the winter. I cant remember the costs but it was all inclusive and certain it was cheaper than the 25 euros. Dog might be an issue at a hotel though

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We just came back from a month in Benidorm, needed a break after my brothers death in November, not for us, we were in the Venus hotel on a full board basis, wanted to come home after two weeks, good job we had a car for 3 weeks to get up into the surrounding areas, (EDI car hire, El Campello, recommended firm, used twice now), each to his own they say.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I suggested this very thing in the caravan thread, if you are going to stay on a site for a length of time , why tug a van behind when you can rent a superior static or cabin, no need for a large car, real motorhoming is different , you go where you want when you want useing aires and the like.
We go to the algarve every winter, but wouldn't dream of going in the van, just get a Ryanair flight from East Midlands for less than £50 return and a hotel for about £100 a week , wouldn't pay to get the van out of the yard.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I suggested this very thing in the caravan thread, if you are going to stay on a site for a length of time , why tug a van behind when you can rent a superior static or cabin, no need for a large car, real motorhoming is different , you go where you want when you want useing aires and the like.
We go to the algarve every winter, but wouldn't dream of going in the van, just get a Ryanair flight from East Midlands for less than £50 return and a hotel for about £100 a week , wouldn't pay to get the van out of the yard.
That intrigued me and thought ideal but then thought if it was for say 12 weeks then that's around £1300 which sounds more than ideal price but we have a dog but I think although your price is excellent, I think for somewhere around £1300, I could do 3 months with dog too. Not knocking your suggestion though

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That intrigued me and thought ideal but then thought if it was for say 12 weeks then that's around £1300 which sounds more than ideal price but we have a dog but I think although your price is excellent, I think for somewhere around £1300, I could do 3 months with dog too. Not knocking your suggestion though
Quite agree with you, but just looking at it from the ops point of view, I wouldn't dream of it myself , got to keep moving, a couple of days in one place is ample for me , we only do the algarve in mid winter just for a bit of sun, get fed up there after a couple of weeks.(y):)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I know the cabins on the campsite we were on in Spain you could not cook in them so you would have to eat out all the time .

I can see your point it may work out cheaper and you could get a very nice car for the cost of a motorhome when we were thinking of touring the USA in a van we were told by alot of americans buy a car and use cheap hotels it will work out cheaper.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhome, just used on sites for weeks on end is not cheap contrary to what most people who havnt done it think, in fact used in that way it's maybe the dearest form of holiday there is.
Most on here talk of at least 50 grand for a van , how many holidays could you have on that, never mind diesel, road tax , insurance, before you even get to campsite fees, tolls , ferry , the list is endless.
BUT, if you want to tour around stay on Aires, cook your own food and just like the life style, you couldn't do that sort of holiday any other way.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
we were told by alot of americans buy a car and use cheap hotels it will work out cheaper
We used to do that, except we rented a car rather than bought one; drove around and stayed in cheap motels. Great fun! (3 x 2-month trips)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks I'd love to stay on here regardless !
A few points...
I got the 25e price from looking at one Benidorm campsite.
I would look for cabins with cooking facilities. All the ones we have seen in eastern europe and italy had them.
We have wild camped a lot but prefer sites for showers etc. Our fridge developed a leak if run on LPG which forced us to campsites the last two months which is where we observed all these cabins. Many do sllow dogs and we would do our research carefully first.
I think we would use Airbnbs to see cities and big towns.
I agree losing Aires would be a big drag but there are ample compensations

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If that's how you want to live for the next however-long - ie having time to properly explore an area & having a comfortable base to return to - then I think it's a brilliant idea. (Looks like you've thought it through and weighed up the pros & cons, and realised that it IS what you want to do!) House-sitting would fit in perfectly.

It's not as though you have to remain committed to it if, against all the odds, you find you don't like it.

Go for it!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I know the cabins on the campsite we were on in Spain you could not cook in them so you would have to eat out all the time .

I can see your point it may work out cheaper and you could get a very nice car for the cost of a motorhome when we were thinking of touring the USA in a van we were told by alot of americans buy a car and use cheap hotels it will work out cheaper.
Thats the way we always do it, Canada as well.roll on May 24th BC for a month again !!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We would try and find places we would be happy for a month as we do in a moho (already found all the ones we need in Sicily ). We would probably tour around just as much as now but have to stay in occasional B and Bs Airbnbs or cheap hotels. We'd carry a small tent for emergencies in warm weather. We retain a small house in Norwich.

I carry a credit card for emergencies,,BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yeh we've thought long and hard about that but can't really face towing something. Have never done it and dont fancy learning.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back