Long term future of autogas in fuel stations? (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Looked long and hard at fitting Gaslow etc. as it seemed very appealing, then I did my due diligence and found there is nowhere remotely near me that still sells it. No welding, builders merchants anywhere around me selling LPG. Every BP or Shell that used to sell it are having the pumps removed. God knows what the RV V10 Petrol/Gas conversion guys are doing for LPG in the UK.
I fill up approx. 200+ litres. If you look there are places. E.g. Off the ferry in Dover, the BP (much cheaper than France), as you head up the hill to M20. That, easy gets me to Lymm services lpg on M6 then 15mins to storage site.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 8, 2016
Poulton le Fylde
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Unless you are running on gas, the small amount we use to fill the re-fillable bottles is very small compared to fuel top-ups. The staff also get side-tracked more often to help with gas or find missing adapters. Perhaps the top up autogas pumps may need to find a different home, then watch the price go up.
Wouldn’t it be great if the motorhome industry started to install and sell Autogas at their outlets. But then that could be classed as ‘Customer service’ 😀

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
LPG is a fossil fuel but for MH cooking/heating it is not a fossil-fuelled vehicle.

However, if LPG fuelled vehicles go gradually as secondhand ones retire then the market for LPG will dwindle.

Geoff
Yes it will decline to meet the lower demand. However there is still demand and with some car makers going back to lpg (duelfuel) this might help the balance in our favour. Like others say it will be a long time before they become extinct

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry Gill

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I filled up with gas at a local garage recently and there was an engineer doing a service. He kindly put the cover back on the pump and filled up for me. While I was chatting to him I asked about the reduction in forecourts selling gas. He said that 10 years ago he was putting new pumps in at the rate of two per week. Now he said he was taking them out at the same rate.
It looks like the future will be having to fill up at the main suppliers' depots such as Flogas.
Use myLPG.eu.eu App

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I think that they’re making a mistake if they’re taking LPG out o forecourts.
The future is looking like going in two directions at the moment.
One being electric and the other being Gas.
Hydrogen is being tested and rolled out by the majority of the vehicle manufacturers and although driving range is massive compared with electric, outlets are currently focussed on electric charging rather than hydrogen pump outlets. (Google Hydrogen vehicle pumps in the UK and you’ll see there’s currently only a handful, probably due to gas being in it’s infancy with manufacturers).
It won’t be long before everyone realises that if Hydrogen is another way forward for fuelling vehicles - which it has been identified as being, manufacturers and gas producers will realise that all of our diesels currently on the road would be better being converted to LPG. 1) to help reduce emissions and 2) to help with reducing the sale of diesel as a forecourt fuel and 3) gas producers will react to market demand - as they currently are because not many are thinking about what to do with their current diesl.
If you think that manufacturers in the last year that they’re allowed to sell a new diesel car in the UK, will look to discount them massively as new buyers will be thinking twice about their resale value before they’ve even bought it from new.
The second hand car market will see a dip in diesel as tax will probably have to change to incentivise further to move away from diesel.
So all of these cars will be still on the road or still available at a dealer and if you think that a typical diesel isn’t seen as being ‘run in’ until it’s got 30-40k on the clock. So diesels are here to stay for a while yet and LPG will be looked at again I feel.

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
There's been a lot of chat about this on the Elgrand forum. Seeing as our vans have the same engine as the 350z sports car. 3.5 ltr v6, they do like a drink. A lot of us have converted to LPG. It seems that Shell have binned it but Morrisons are keeping it 😁 shame they don't do Tesco club card points.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
all of our diesels currently on the road would be better being converted to LPG. 1) to help reduce emissions
Question..... Is it possible to CONVERT diesel engines to LPG??
I thought you could only convert petrol engines.
Apologies if I am talking Sh@@e.😎😎

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Question..... Is it possible to CONVERT diesel engines to LPG??
I thought you could only convert petrol engines.
Apologies if I am talking Sh@@e.😎😎
Yes but only older types, can't do the modern ones. In Thailand a large percentage of buses & lorries run on natural gas. PITA when the bus refuels every one has to get off and it takes about 20min.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Yes but only older types, can't do the modern ones. In Thailand a large percentage of buses & lorries run on natural gas. PITA when the bus refuels every one has to get off and it takes about 20min.
Lenny HB..
You have enlightened me thus far... so if i may take it a step further..How is the ignition phase achieved when using gas,????

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Three or four years ago we could find only 2 LPG (autos) pumps in the whole of Greece. Now there is one in most towns. The Greeks seem to like gas.

Terry and Angie

Free Member
Dec 6, 2017
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Bailey 640
Exp
Since 2014
I’m sure I have seen a campaign on the net for the caravan club to install some LPG pumps on there sites as some of them use LPG for heating shower blocks etc. Maybe the answer.

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I’m sure I have seen a campaign on the net for the caravan club to install some LPG pumps on there sites as some of them use LPG for heating shower blocks etc. Maybe the answer.
Oh crikey 😂 don't get them involved. You'll have to do a Masons handshake and fill out forms and have the correct colour trousers on before you got to use it.

Terry and Angie

Free Member
Dec 6, 2017
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Bailey 640
Exp
Since 2014
Yes I’m sure you are right as they seem to be spending a lot of money adding camping pods and such things at the cost of pitches .

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There
Not sure if this has been mentioned but with some LPG stations removing the pumps that means you will have to go to somewhere which does have the pumps; so more revenue for the ones which are left. Also I’m not sure about anyone else but I would have thought it was wise to also buy diesel while you are filling your LPG. That way the station can see they are bringing you in for LPG and also Diesel and perhaps a coffee or sandwich while you are there. Simples

Best Wishes Tony

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
Out for a bike ride today, thought I'd have a nosey down at our local Flogas, as the LPG fill up point had been closed down for a while, with a sign on it!

Happy days, open again, (though not today, as it's Sunday). 65ppl.

Gave me enough cheer and energy to carry on, and cycle to the beach! 😂

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Perhaps it's all a matter of supply = demand.
As more stations remove their tanks we get closer to profitability for those that keep them.
Finally we may have enough remaining demand to keep an OK network of filling points alive, and we'll need to plan our trips accordingly.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Our local (2 miles away) filling station discontinued Autogas 3 years ago when they refurbished, so we went to the Calor depot 35 miles north in Middlesbrough where they have a pump and sell at rock bottom prices (11kg Gaslow and 6kg Red Hybrid system). It's closed during lockdown. Then I wanted more flexibility and found this website: Link Removed among others, that gives us complete flexibility . Just a point though, ring the filling station before you commit, for the same reason stated in previous posts. Some stations are uninstalling.

I just heard that my group, (over 70 & Clinically Extremely Vulnerable) is getting their 1st jab vaccine letters this week. It will be good to be that bit safer, after 10 months in isolated lockdown, but I'm still not going anywhere until I've had jab number 2. Too many of our family members and friends are either no longer with us, i.e. DEAD, or have long Covid. For anyone in any doubt, this is real and I don't thank any of the non-believers and sceptics, for spreading the lies. All I say to them is wait until yiu loose a close friend or member of the family to this damned Virus.

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
l'm on LPG at home, we have a 2000 litre tank, makes me wonder if it could have a filling point put on, at 34p a litre would be worth it.

Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
Go to the App Store on your phone or tablet and install my LPG.eu and that way you will have the nearest LPG filling point and also the price per litre also I have found that a lot of motorhome dealerships have a bulk tank to fill up your refillable bottles often they will offer you a free coffee while a member of staff takes your motorhome to the workshop to fill your system be very careful!!! Your free coffee will be put just outside of their SHOP with all the goodies to tempt you so came away with two full cylinders of gas plus a new table and a new chair !!! 🗻😎

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back