Long term future of autogas in fuel stations? (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I filled up with gas at a local garage recently and there was an engineer doing a service. He kindly put the cover back on the pump and filled up for me. While I was chatting to him I asked about the reduction in forecourts selling gas. He said that 10 years ago he was putting new pumps in at the rate of two per week. Now he said he was taking them out at the same rate.
It looks like the future will be having to fill up at the main suppliers' depots such as Flogas.

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There will always be a large demand from the many houses, hotels etc which are not on mains gas. It's just the auto market that seems to be shrinking rapidly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Unless you are running on gas, the small amount we use to fill the re-fillable bottles is very small compared to fuel top-ups. The staff also get side-tracked more often to help with gas or find missing adapters. Perhaps the top up autogas pumps may need to find a different home, then watch the price go up.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Unless you are running on gas, the small amount we use to fill the re-fillable bottles is very small compared to fuel top-ups. The staff also get side-tracked more often to help with gas or find missing adapters. Perhaps the top up autogas pumps may need to find a different home, then watch the price go up.

The small amount we use though as you said,, it doesn't matter what the price is so much, we don't look at the price anymore as long as there is some available.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Some countries have encouraged the use of gas in Taxis for example while we are now developing electric charging points, looking to future developments. Sadly unless producers can see a developing market, the future of Autogas is not guaranteed unless the demand is there.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have 2 x6kg gaslow and never had issues topping up, but I am aware that some outlets have stopped supplying lpg for a variety of reasons. On my travels, I have never come across a car driven on lpg or ever seen one fill up with lpg, are they still around?

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Looked long and hard at fitting Gaslow etc. as it seemed very appealing, then I did my due diligence and found there is nowhere remotely near me that still sells it. No welding, builders merchants anywhere around me selling LPG. Every BP or Shell that used to sell it are having the pumps removed. God knows what the RV V10 Petrol/Gas conversion guys are doing for LPG in the UK.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There will always be a large demand from the many houses, hotels etc which are not on mains gas. It's just the auto market that seems to be shrinking rapidly.
Not talking about the law or safety but is it possible to fill up from the large calor tanks that fuel houses.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have 2 x6kg gaslow and never had issues topping up, but I am aware that some outlets have stopped supplying lpg for a variety of reasons. On my travels, I have never come across a car driven on lpg or ever seen one fill up with lpg, are they still around?

We had a Vauxhall Vectra which we had converted to LPG some years ago and the cost saving between petrol and LPG paid for the conversion in a little over a year and we got good money for it when we sold it as at the time there was no congestion charge in London for LPG powered vehicles.

I have been to fill up our underslung with LPG at our nearest Morrison 3 times and twice I have had to wait while a car in front fill at the LPG pump, so there must be a few around our area.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As I posted on another thread, in France they wouldn’t be removing their LPG pumps because they’re making new dual fuel Dacia’s. ( yes I know it would be a long way to travel 😊)
Electric cars won’t be for everybody, so maybe more car manufacturers will think about dual fuel cars.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Not talking about the law or safety but is it possible to fill up from the large calor tanks that fuel houses.
when we first had our RV, our service dealer had a bulk Calor Gas tank which fed via a hand pump. About 15 minutes of hard pumping to fill the tank. Later we discovered a local film/facilities company had a bulk tank With an electric pump for their RV’s and travel trailers so we use to fill up there. No fuel duty or vat😊
Diesel RV so gas filling was usually once a year.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
.. but surely you must travel about in your vehicle.
That is the general idea!:giggle: But I don't want to spend my holidays hunting down LPG. If I had the tanks I would want to top up (the big advantage over having to fully empty Calor bottles) before leaving my home area.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
That is the general idea!:giggle: But I don't want to spend my holidays hunting down LPG. If I had the tanks I would want to top up (the big advantage over having to fully empty Calor bottles) before leaving my home area.
I never spend my holidays 'hunting down LPG', but using the apps available I've always found somewhere en route or very close to my route. I don't think I've ever filled/topped up close to my home.

The last time was about twenty miles away, before that it was somewhere in Germany..

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Fill them up where convenient on the way back from each trip ready for the next. You cannot use much in the last couple of days of that trip.

Geoff

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Looked long and hard at fitting Gaslow etc. as it seemed very appealing, then I did my due diligence and found there is nowhere remotely near me that still sells it. No welding, builders merchants anywhere around me selling LPG. Every BP or Shell that used to sell it are having the pumps removed. God knows what the RV V10 Petrol/Gas conversion guys are doing for LPG in the UK.

Don't know whereabouts in Kent you live, but there are several stations on the A2/M2 and M20 that will continue to stock LPG, as they have thousands of vehicles heading to and from France passing their doors every day.
At least for LPG stations on the main roads of Kent, LPG remains financially viable for the foreseeable future.

1600853035479.png

As Gas is something you fill up with infrequently, and if, like me, you have one Calor and one Gaslow bottle, it means I fill up with LPG when it suits me, it does not matter if I have to wait a week.

Deleted User
Sure that I read the government have plans to ban all hydrocarbon fuelled vehicles by 2030 so the future of all fuel stations seems limited.
Don, t know what they plan for heavy goods vehicles though.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
All may not be lost as LPG powered vehicles may make a comeback.
As pointed out by Manic that Dacia are making new dual fuel cars and Israel plans to ban the import of petrol and diesel fuelled cars by 2030 in favour of electric and LPG powered cars.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Its never caused us a problem but we don't do planning if we need gas we just alter our destination to suit. But us Motorhomes are not going to keep LPG pumps alive if they do start closing more, we only use about 150 Lt a year.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012

I don't know where in Kent you are exactly but we regularly use the one on the main services coming on m20 J11

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
The Texaco garage near us in Dorking was completely refurbished recently and they put in brand new LPG pumps. We've also identifed a suitable place N, S, E and W of where we live and even though we sometimes have to make a short detour, sorts us out completely

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back