Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Re.: registering th mh in Europe (eg France)

I'm about to swap bricks & mortar for living in a van.
I'll be based out of a relative's uk address with a UK registered van. One option for me is to buy a van in Germany and import it to the UK. So as to pass the MOT I'd have to change the headlights to dip to the left, have a right hand side rear fog light (I'm not sure if vehicles can have rear fogs on both sides or only one) and change the speedo from KPH only to MPH+KPH. All that even though I'll be mostly living & driving on the continent (with headlights dipping the 'wrong' way)!

So I'm guessing that to pass the French controle technique (mot) you'd have to change the UK lights & rear foglight and have a speedo showing KPH (which it may already do) to pass the continental test.

If you have a native-speaker friend (to help fill out the forms, make phone calls) who will let you use the address for insurance I think that could be the best option.
Personally I'll be happy to spend a month a year in the uk to see family and to reaquaint myself with 'proper' beer, as well as do the MOT. I just need to make that *not* February (ice and snow) or any school holiday (packed ferries).

Last edited:

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
problems regitering in france with right hand drive cos door on wrong side . you also need cert of conformity for base vehicle and conversion . no mot done outside uk is legal .
:Doh::Doh::Doh: stan

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Stan is correct. Only a UK MOT is legal on a UK registered vehicle. No MOT....No insurance. Do you want to take the risk ?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back