long term fullterming ?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2013
86290 Les Grandes Hérolles, Coulonges, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies
Lyssa and myself had planned to travel for far more than a year without coming home to the UK , BUT reading all the links it appears that we cannot do that as we need to come back to the UK for an MOT !!!! Is this correct ??
An ever hopefully S&L :Sad:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There are ways, if you know the right people and you are prepared to break the law.

If not, then yes you have to get back to the UK for the MOT.

Pete:Cool:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Broken Link Removed

I googled MOT in Spain and found this-anyone tried them or know of them.

Mike

Ive e-mailed to ask them,Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve & Lys
Jan 12, 2013
86290 Les Grandes Hérolles, Coulonges, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp 655 GT
Exp
we are newbies
I think saying thanks Peter is perhaps wrong , but thanks anyway .

This simple items has put a fairly major spanner in the works , we had , in our ignorance thought we could get an MOT in any EU Country , insurance can be sorted via the net and our home address , tax the same , but the MOT we, sorry the van has to be there, blast :cry:
S&L :cry:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Broken Link Removed

I googled MOT in Spain and found this-anyone tried them or know of them.

Mike

This looks very interesting information,and iam sure it will help so many,so my thanks goes your way, Alf:thumb:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Changing tack slightly - medication.

I have to have a 3 month review for medication & OH has 6 month review. How do others go on with similar situations? Or are you all in excellent health ::bigsmile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Changing tack slightly - medication.

I have to have a 3 month review for medication & OH has 6 month review. How do others go on with similar situations? Or are you all in excellent health ::bigsmile:

This is a tricky one-I have manged to talk my GP into giving me a double prescription-initially to last me 2 mths-but I 'cash' it every month and build up a stockpile,so far I've got away with it ::bigsmile:
The same GP would not do that for Carolyn,so she bought her medication online.
We both only need blood pressure tabs.so nothing really major.
Whilst we've been away we've been ringing pharmacy for new prescriptions and a friend has been picking them up,so I will have 3 mths supply waiting at home-but-Carolyn was told she had to have review before she could get any more after 1 mth.

Mike

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
There is a British Mot station near Guardamar, If you knowish the area..from Nancys roundabout which is the one which goes into Majal campsite. Go straight down the road opposite the Majal road (harley bike garage on corner) towards Dolores there is a industrial estate on right hand side with a yellow garage which says British garage..There you go..

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
What about Gibraltar ,that's part of old blighty,does their mot count?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
If you think that getting a "MOT" done in Spain is legal, then you are sadly delusioned..

They will indeed get you on the computer as having been tested but it is not done legally.

They get a clone vehicle into the UK testing station and issue the MOT as if it was your vehicle tested.

If they get caught then your details will be on their system and you may be done for aiding and abetting.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Buy a brand new motorhome and then you would have three years...:winky:

Incidentally, in my humble opinion, just because something is "illegal" it does not make it morally wrong or bad.

For example, if you were to have your vehicle properly "tested" on all the items a UK MOT test demands but at an overseas garage and they gave a letter saying it was ok... you wouldn't be legal but you would know the van was ok.

As a friend of mine used to say... "A MOT? It is only a piece of paper..."

It is STUPID you can't get a MOT done in the EU.

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
This is a tricky one-I have manged to talk my GP into giving me a double prescription-initially to last me 2 mths-but I 'cash' it every month and build up a stockpile,so far I've got away with it ::bigsmile:
The same GP would not do that for Carolyn,so she bought her medication online.
We both only need blood pressure tabs.so nothing really major.
Whilst we've been away we've been ringing pharmacy for new prescriptions and a friend has been picking them up,so I will have 3 mths supply waiting at home-but-Carolyn was told she had to have review before she could get any more after 1 mth.

Mike

I am thinking of going to a rural GP in France for top ups (blood pressure) - I know a couple who have done this before - if you stay on a village camp site then you can visit the local GP you would have to pay the normal fee about £15 (the French have to pay this and then reclaim most of it on their health insurance) then he would give me a prescription for my medications. however like you my UK GP has given me double repeat prescription so that helps.

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
Why not have a new MOT just before you go, you would be ok for the 12 months then.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
If you think that getting a "MOT" done in Spain is legal, then you are sadly delusioned..
They will indeed get you on the computer as having been tested but it is not done legally.
They get a clone vehicle into the UK testing station and issue the MOT as if it was your vehicle tested.
If they get caught then your details will be on their system and you may be done for aiding and abetting.

May I draw your attention to your earlier response-you seemed to be condoning the 'illegal' route then-who are these people we should know ::bigsmile:
Mike

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
MOT

I think I would rather be safe than sorry. Although I intend to spend as much time as possible in Europe I will return to UK to get my MOT done.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
May I draw your attention to your earlier response-you seemed to be condoning the 'illegal' route then-who are these people we should know ::bigsmile:
Mike

I was certainly not condoning the illegal, just pointing out the possibility.

The people to know, should you wish to take the illegal route, now seem to be advertising themselves.

Mind you they are in Spain and it isn't illegal to do what they appear to be doing, here.

I think the fact that they want Euro 379 may give the game away.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I thought we were meant to be all one EU,its just another copout and money making scheme, from our lovely euro MPs, join the EU and make life easy remember that slogan, the only easy is for those old Iron curtain country,s, O and straight cucumber's:ROFLMAO:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Medication when abroad

Hi, this is my first post, I will just don my GP hat. Legally we are allowed to give an NHS prescription for a max of 3 months if someone is out of the country ,plus a private prescription for a further 3 months. As many of you have found it is enforced rather inconsistently and there are ways round it for many of the commonly prescribed stuff.
Hat now removed, isn't motorhoming fun, we bought our first van, an autosleeper symbol last year when the children stopped coming on hols with us. Now looking forward to retirement!

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks for your advice

Hi, this is my first post, I will just don my GP hat. Legally we are allowed to give an NHS prescription for a max of 3 months if someone is out of the country ,plus a private prescription for a further 3 months. As many of you have found it is enforced rather inconsistently and there are ways round it for many of the commonly prescribed stuff.
Hat now removed, isn't motorhoming fun, we bought our first van, an autosleeper symbol last year when the children stopped coming on hols with us. Now looking forward to retirement!

I will need a couple of tablets for blood pressure and my GP told me she will give me three months supply. I think I may be able to buy more when needed from a pharmacy. Have heard you can also buy online but there are too many horror stories of fake drugs I feel to go down that route.

Many thanks for your advice and happy motor homing!

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Lyssa and myself had planned to travel for far more than a year without coming home to the UK , BUT reading all the links it appears that we cannot do that as we need to come back to the UK for an MOT !!!! Is this correct ??
An ever hopefully S&L :Sad:
if you want to do Europe then Buy in Europe a motor that will not require any MOT for three years

simples

insurance road tax are another problem

it is not easy the system wants you to buy a house and live in it
paying taxes and being watched

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
I will need a couple of tablets for blood pressure and my GP told me she will give me three months supply. I think I may be able to buy more when needed from a pharmacy. Have heard you can also buy online but there are too many horror stories of fake drugs I feel to go down that route.

Many thanks for your advice and happy motor homing!

My experience is that you can get just about any medicine from a standard Spanish pharmacy. A lot of which require prescriptions back in the UK.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
One option would be to move to the Continent. You could buy a house or, if you want to tour frequently, a static in France or wherever - this will give you an address. You can then register your MH there, and your Controle Technique (MOT equivalent) can take place anywhere in the country, and is required only every two years. There is no vehicle tax in France, an added bonus, and our experience is that insurance is cheaper.
Just an idea...
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Would you then have to re-plate the motorhome?

Yeah eventually in France you would, but if you were living there its best to do it MOT is a lot easier and as said earlier only every two years and no road tax. Also if living in a rural area insurance is usually cheaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back