LONG TERM EUROPEAN TRAVEL INSURANCE QUESTION? (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, can someone advise me re a travel insurance query I have please?

If you travel into Europe and are away for slightly longer than the policy permits is there any way if you had to make a claim, that they can check exactly how long you have been away for? I ask this question because when you travel by ferry or euro tunnel etc I've never seen the check point guys stamp our passports.

I'm not trying to pull a fast one or anything but I'm just wondering how it works.

Our policy states 90 days but we can extend it to longer upon request.

Thank you.

Sue

Deleted User
Passports are scanned these days but I don't know whether the insurance companies have access to the data.

I was told by the C&CC that unless i had a return crossing booked breakdown cover would be invalid, don't know whether that applies to travel insurance, never had it until now as it comes with with the Nationwide Flexplus account, extended to 120 days at a cost.

I would imagine that they would want to see embarkation tickets in your names at the very least.

A lot of people that need longer than 90/120 days get cheap flights home for a few days to break the time up.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
If you travel into Europe and are away for slightly longer than the policy permits is there any way if you had to make a claim, that they can check exactly how long you have been away for? I ask this question because when you travel by ferry or euro tunnel etc I've never seen the check point guys stamp our passports.

Travelling with Brittany Ferries all passports are scanned at the check-in booth and the vehicle registration is recorded. Many insurers require that the overseas trip is pre-booked (ie including return journey). Maybe you should look for an insurer who includes for single trips longer than 90 days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The insurance company will ask for proof, and that will be your crossing ticket.
The difficulty comes booking a return trip, as for us that's impossible as we are away for longer than the booking systems allow you to book that far ahead.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
This thread prompted me to sort our insurance out as we are on the tunnel on 15th and not intending to return till end of July 2018, and can't book a return that far ahead, or do I want to!

A quick search on travelsupermarket led me to the cheapest policy I could find ( alpha insurance, £168 for a couple, europewide, no pre existing conditions. Really only want it to supplement ehic card in a worst case scenario like an accident or illness, not so worried about trip cancellation and luggage etc! Just want to make sure we have some medical and repatriation cover)

Below is a copy of my chat with an online adviser. I did call the claim line too, and they confirmed you don't need to have a return actually booked, but must be able to show an intent to return. A motorhome requiring an MOT will satisfy that condition ( as will the other things they listed, including my landlord insurance for the house we own.) basically, it's to satisfy them you've not become an ex-pat.
Hope this may be usefull.
IMG_1245.PNG

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I noticed that Alpha only cover people up to 55 years of age under there long stay policy, does anyone know of a company that can provide long stay insurance for older people?

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We took out a 6 month cover (insure & go) cost £244 for us 2 age 58 & 61
We also had to pay extra (included) as we were traveling in a few regions.
The Backpackers policy could have been extended up to 18 months if required (y)
And no we weren't walking to Fuertventura :LOL:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
According to the Financial Ombudsman the burden to disprove any claim rests with the insurers, and does not rest with the claimant to prove.

This means that the claimant's account of events is generally considered to be honest, but that the insurer has the right to make enquiries to ascertain compliance with their terms. Get caught trying to deceive them, you will end up on their database of fraudulent claimants, you will have your claim denied, future insurance may become impossible and you could end up with a criminal record

I'm sure that if someone could prove that their return was delayed for reasons outside of their control, insurers would have to exhibit a degree of tolerance. But a contract is a contract, and it would be costly to challenge a refusal to meet a claim once it has expired.

Cover under the EHIC scheme is variable, in some countries it is really excellent, others it isn't quite so.

A point that needs to be born in mind is that EHIC cover is also technically limited to the period you are lawfully entitled to remain in that other EU country. Your rights to stay in another EU country without registering your presence may be affected by the 3 month rule:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

(Note: This does not affect your tax residency status, another process entirely, but forms the first step to acquiring permanent resident status))

And if such conditions are in force in your destination, and you do not comply, any claim could be challenged on the basis that you shouldn't have been there for longer than 3 months without formal registration. With the holiday "food poisoning" insurance scams of late, insurers are becoming increasingly vigilant in their investigation of holiday claims. Only you can decide if there is a risk, and if it is worth taking.

In this day and age of online business, it is a surprising fact that most good old fashioned independent brokers (sometimes hard to find nowadays) will be happy to research the options for you, often get you a better policy and at an equal or better price than an online quote and offer full back up in the event of a claim. OK, you don't get another Meerkat, but how many of those can you house?
Hope this helps

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Met a couple in Portugal early this year and the husband was ill and needed repatriating to uk. Insurance flatly refused because they had no return ferry booked,, Luckily she was able to fly him home with the aid of a wheelchair,,BUSBY,,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Something else I need to look in to, I currently have travel insurance included in my bank account but that won't cover me I'm guessing.

Its complicated this long term touring thing eh

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Just travel cover . Com......I think

We have a policy that with no cancellation and no baggage covrer is reasonable.........until you claim?

Try it and see!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Why do UK policies have such restrictions.

We have spoken to many Germans who query what we are talking about when we say we had Full Timing insurance. They take out an insurance policy and it covers them all over Europe without trip limits.

As for travel insurances they are designed for travel by boat or air. Loss of baggage, flight delays flight or crossing cancellation. Health is only a tiny part of the policy, but you pay for everything. There is not a suitable policy in my opinion that covers what a motorhome tourist requires without other unnecessary bells and whistles.

We were insured by Comfort and their policy would repatriate the vehicle if there was no available driver. In six years of overwintering we used our EHIC card for treatment once. Drugs were available over the counter on production of a pack showing it had been prescribed previously for you. I appreciate holiday makers are on tight fixed schedules, but if you feel unwell on holiday, it is easy and cheap to book a flight home and get the motorhome repatriated later. I know accidents can happen but read your motorhome policy there are clauses that cover this and payments for treatment. Some people over think issues and pay through the nose for thing they really don't need.

We never booked a return, as we were never certain even to a week or so in advance when we would be returning.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Why not pre-book a return and then amend it as necessary later? Its usually cheap to change.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have this travel insurance :
International Travel and Healthcare Limited
Caravan and Motorhome Travel insurance cover ONESTOP4

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
ADAC gives you breakdown cover and some personal medical cover as well as repatriation and even a driver if the driver is ill.
It covers both of us individually in whatever vehicle we are in-doesn't have to belong to us, both our van & car, and the above, all for around the £100 mark, that's in EU countries and for the whole year.

Deleted User
ADAC gives you breakdown cover and some personal medical cover as well as repatriation and even a driver if the driver is ill.
It covers both of us individually in whatever vehicle we are in-doesn't have to belong to us, both our van & car, and the above, all for around the £100 mark, that's in EU countries and for the whole year.

I have been a member of ADAC for several years and I think the key word in your post is some , I have never been able to figure out exactly what is covered.

Having said that I have not had any other form of travel/medical insurance until this year when, because of advancing age, I have upgraded my Nationwide current account to Flexplus and extended the travel insurance to 120 days, still keeping the ADAC though as a safeguard, the Flexplus breakdown cover only covers 180 days a year not per trip.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Something else I need to look in to, I currently have travel insurance included in my bank account but that won't cover me I'm guessing.

Its complicated this long term touring thing eh

I have Nationwide travel cover and pay extra to extend the period of cover,,BUSBY,,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have Nationwide travel cover and pay extra to extend the period of cover,,BUSBY,,
Yeah problem is the account I have requires an income of £1000 a month to be paid in and whilst I'm travelling I won't be earning as I'm effectively taking a year out so I won't have a wage being paid in to that account, I'll be living off savings for a year unless I find somewhere in Spain I'd like to settle and find work. So I'll have to look in to addition life and travel insurance

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yeah problem is the account I have requires an income of £1000 a month to be paid in and whilst I'm travelling I won't be earning as I'm effectively taking a year out so I won't have a wage being paid in to that account, I'll be living off savings for a year unless I find somewhere in Spain I'd like to settle and find work. So I'll have to look in to addition life and travel insurance

For years we never bothered,,used our E111 a few times and it worked ok..BUSBY UY

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

ADAC offer repatriation with their breakdown insurance,,,,tried to bring me home from Spain when i injured my knee,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back