Long Term European Insurance/Breakdown (1 Viewer)

rawm

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Funster No
Hi guys,

First time post here. Having a lot of trouble insuring my van and wondering if anyone can help.

Im looking to get long term European insurance - I plan to live on the move and not return to England for long periods of time - 1 year+

The van is registered in Guernsey she's a Mercedes 608 D 4.5 tonne 3.8 Litre beauty from 1982. Turns out pretty much no-one wants to insure her and definitely not for long term trips to Europe. Has anyone got experience of this or can reccomened what to do?

I read somewhere that all UK vehicle insurance covers you at least 3rd party in the EU - is that information correct?

The van is 4.5 tonnes, 7 m long, 3m and 2.81m wide - i turns out its hard to find European recovery for this too.!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome aboard! I think your pretty much screwed as the insurance cover will be a maximum of 1 year at at time and then tied to a M.O.T. and other stuff too, to keep it valid. Not sure how it works with vehicle registered in Guernsey and can only advise you ask insurance bodies the minimum you have to do to get cover.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Sorry to rain on your parade, but what you need is fulltiming insurance, and you have get a uk mot every year, and you won’t get that insurance in a van that old. Sorry!

Welcome by the way, and don’t be put off......try explaining your circumstances to various ins companies and see what they say. Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
might need to change your plans , depending on ins periods and mot requirements . You also need to check your width !! Is it registered as a motorhome , as this could effect whether you have to pay tolls as goods vehicle .

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I don't know the actual type of van you have stated but my van is a 1991 model and roughly the same length and width as yours. I recently contacted AIB (who have a presence on this site) to get a new quote as I was planning taking a year or so out to travel Europe.

I did receive a price I was happy with - this was based on 6 month total time in Europe but I got the impression that could have been extended at extra cost. I never got back to them as I am waiting for my flat to sell before I start to plan everything. Cracking little 2 bed flat in Aberdeenshire if anyone is interested ;)

Have you spoke to AIB?

Like others have stated unless you have friends/family abroad somewhere that you could call 'home' then you are really tied in to no more than a year for the MOT renewal. A years a long time though so hope you aren't put off by this.

Upvote 0

KentFF

Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Like others have stated unless you have friends/family abroad somewhere that you could call 'home' then you are really tied in to no more than a year for the MOT renewal. A years a long time though so hope you aren't put off by this.
If one has a friend in Europe that can be called home, then you could get insurance from a European insurance company, and get the equivalent of MOT done there too? Is that cheaper than UK?

Upvote 0

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Welcome aboard! I think your pretty much screwed as the insurance cover will be a maximum of 1 year at at time and then tied to a M.O.T. and other stuff too, to keep it valid. Not sure how it works with vehicle registered in Guernsey and can only advise you ask insurance bodies the minimum you have to do to get cover.

Don't think they have mot's in the Channel Islands same as the Isle of Man

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rawm

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Funster No
Cheers for the heads up group - some good responses here.

I have a couple of quotes which have offered various levels of cover, and the prices Im happy with to but still not able to get the length of time that Im looking for fully comp.

Im not restricted to coming back for an MOT every year as you don't need one on Guernsey but I do have some friends who live around and about in Europe - this could act as 'home' if i need to but I would rather not have to go through the hassle of registering and re-registering the van....its always a pain.!

So my question to you so far is, I have an offer of fully comp insurance for 90 days or something in Europe. I have read that it is however a legal requirement for all EU insurance cover to offer 3rd party cover as an integral part of the policy. (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad)

Can anyone else vouch for the validity of this information when applied to motorhomes?

:)

As an aside the insurance also offers breakdown cover year round in the EU as part of it - in the small print there is a width restriction of 2.5 meters. My wheels are 2.5 meters apart but the body is 2.81. I have the feeling that I would get put on the back of a truck no questions asked but I wonder if anyone has some experience of this?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I read somewhere that all UK vehicle insurance covers you at least 3rd party in the EU - is that information correct?

find
Yes,it has always been the case even before the EU. It reverts to the minimum road traffic acts cover required.

If one has a friend in Europe that can be called home, then you could get insurance from a European insurance company, and get the equivalent of MOT done there too? Is that cheaper than UK?
You can't mot it except in its own country.
It wouldn't be worth the op reregistering it in another country as they would then not be able to drive it in the UK and would not be able to exchange their driving licence as Jersey,Guernsey,etc; licences aren't exchangeable and a test would need to be taken.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi @rawm have you looked at the classic camper club ,maybe a bit of info there
Used to be with them and insurance with towergate classic with agreed valuation via 2gether insurance also a member on here I believe or were
Good luck

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome

Try Victor Millwell (who use Aviva) for insurance. I have been using them ever since I got a Moho and they are hundreds cheaper the Caravan club. This year my premium actually went down £20 from last year (to £450). This includes European breakdown cover for upto 8 months at a time with no size or weight limitations. As others have said it does depend on having an MOT and being domiciled in UK so may not help you.

Good luck I think you have a real challenge to square your particular circle

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Cheers for the heads up group - some good responses here.

I have a couple of quotes which have offered various levels of cover, and the prices Im happy with to but still not able to get the length of time that Im looking for fully comp.

Im not restricted to coming back for an MOT every year as you don't need one on Guernsey but I do have some friends who live around and about in Europe - this could act as 'home' if i need to but I would rather not have to go through the hassle of registering and re-registering the van....its always a pain.!

So my question to you so far is, I have an offer of fully comp insurance for 90 days or something in Europe. I have read that it is however a legal requirement for all EU insurance cover to offer 3rd party cover as an integral part of the policy. (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad)

Can anyone else vouch for the validity of this information when applied to motorhomes?

:)

As an aside the insurance also offers breakdown cover year round in the EU as part of it - in the small print there is a width restriction of 2.5 meters. My wheels are 2.5 meters apart but the body is 2.81. I have the feeling that I would get put on the back of a truck no questions asked but I wonder if anyone has some experience of this?
I suggest you re measure your vehicle width see below

The 'Weights and dimensions' Directive of 1996 sets maximum vehicle dimensions and weights for national and international road transport in the EU: 16.5 metres (m) in length (18.75 m for road trains), 2.6 m in width, 4 m in height and 40 tonnes (t) in weight (44 t for combined transport, e.g. by rail and water).10 Apr 2014
Its wider than my RV !!!

Upvote 0
May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Width doesn't include mirrors as these are not considered fixed bodywork. Just in case you have included them.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back