Long stays (1 Viewer)

D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Hi All

I have reserved a spot on a site in Southern Spain for a 6-month winter stay 2009/2010.

This will be my first experience of a long stay in one place and I am asking for any useful tips on problems to watch out for, precautions to take, etc., when remaining static for so long.

Obvious considerations are maintaining engine, batteries, tyres, coachwork, etc.

I will have a 10A hook-up, access to hot water bathing facilities, loan of large satellite dish (weak signal there).

I will be towing a trailer with Toad.

I will be alone, with just my dog, Jazz, for company, so any recommendations should take account of that, especially as I am not particularly energetic!!

I await in anticipation :Smile:

Doug

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Spain

Hi

I would certainly run he van every now and again. I used my van in Italy for a few months and ensured I did a 30 mile trip every month or so. Also, cover your tyres. You can get tyre covers from various places or if you are unsure, PM me and I wil let you know of a lady that makes them.

Cheers.

Russell

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
be sure to run the van regularly to ensure brakes and clutch do not sieze. I would advise also using a biocide to prevent diesel bug which occurs mainly when vehicles are laid up. Yes is does exist, my van is currently in a garage having the entire fuel system cleaned out as a result of not using it all winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
diesel bug is very common in the marine enviroment does a nice job of growing in your tank n blocking filters, has been known to seize up diesel pumps. you can put an additve in your tank ask at a diesel supply depot its not cheap.as for staying put for 6 mnths why?spains a big country lots to see n do .lots places to park what ever you want ,sea mountains ,grassland. lifes not long enough to stay still too long.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back