Long Stay French Visa - Our application and interview/appointment. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Hi Stewart,
You'll need to go back into the system and print the documents. Al n Val had the same problem.

You can go back into your application and scroll through to the end to print. You need pages without that watermark. Otherwise you'll be charged to print them out at the TLS appointment.
Thank you so much. I went back in and clicked a few of the buttons to transmit them and it gave me the option to print the documents out without the watermark and has added an additional 2 sheets with tick boxes and a barcode.

With regard to the TLSContact documents, I have the receipt which shows the payment and time of the appointment, is that all we need?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi Stewart,
You'll need to go back into the system and print the documents. Al n Val had the same problem.

You can go back into your application and scroll through to the end to print. You need pages without that watermark. Otherwise you'll be charged to print them out at the TLS appointment.

You bet me too it Dave 👍

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Thank you so much. I went back in and clicked a few of the buttons to transmit them and it gave me the option to print the documents out without the watermark and has added an additional 2 sheets with tick boxes and a barcode.

With regard to the TLSContact documents, I have the receipt which shows the payment and time of the appointment, is that all we need?

From memory Stewart

I aren’t at home so can’t look/check ours

I printed off an itinerary starting with our first night at Calais aire, I included the aires full address and contact tel/email address, I then did a tour/route of France given names of towns we would be visiting.

We said we were touring in our motorhome and would be using aires and campsites along the way.

We took copies of our bank accounts so they could see we would be able to support ourselves and we had to say we would not be seeking employment. We took copies of the Motorhomes V5 document and our marriage certificate.

I can’t remember anything else atm apart from your passports and photos, make 100% certain on the application (s) that you included both your names exactly as what’s on your passports or you’ll be turned away, if you forget any middle names then start again.

cheers and good luck, it’s not difficult

Al 👍

Edit: just googled this 👍

IMG_4717.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Don't forget to print out and take the appointment confirmation sheet. They were turning people away who didn't have one, when we were there

Good luck

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Thanks everyone for your help, I do tend to go over the top with these sorts of things. The forms with the watermark have been niggling away at me, I thought something was not right. So, thank you for the guidance.

Our appointment is on the 14th December. I had a real challenge trying to get an appointment. The system kept telling me no appointments were available. I called the helpline and was told they could see appointments and to e-mail the help desk. I got back a generic e-mail explaining that appointments were at a premium and they were recruiting more staff. I called about 10 times; on one occasion I was immediately told no appointments were available. I said how can you possibly know that when I have not told you the location or date? The phone cut out at that point.
Luckily, I got connected to a very nice American lady who explained that due to me linking both the applications together the system was unable to find an appointment, it's a glitch in the software. She asked me the dates and time I was looking for and she secured them. I was then told to log into TLS within 1 hour to make payment or the appointments would be cancelled.
I have created folders under each of the headings of the required documents with the information from the website and the great advice from here. Hopefully everything has been covered.

Documents:

Pre-Requisite Documents
  • Receipt/Appointment booking sheet.
  • Print out of the application from French Visa website
  • Covering letter
  • Approved passport photographs
  • Passport
  • Travel document (tunnel booking)
  • Private Medical Insurance and health card
Purpose of travel/stay
  • Declaration not to undertake any professional activity whilst in France
  • Financial statement outlining we have both retired but both have deferred pensions so no evidence of pensions
  • Bank statements for the last 3 months
  • Copy of investments showing incoming return for the last 3 months and overall total of investment pot
  • Copy of ISA Investments
  • Letter explaining, I shall support the other half financially with copy of marriage certificate due to potential delays in their investment statements arriving.
Accommodation
  • Overview of the motorhome with pictures showing it is suitable to accommodate us for 6 months
  • Booking of an aire for the first 3 nights
  • Plan showing our planned journey where we intend to visit and stop explaining the use of campsite and camping aires along the way
  • V5 for the motorhome (letter explaining dual ownership for other half along with copy of marriage license)
  • Motorhome Insurance
Hopefully it shall all go to plan?

Thanks again for your help

Stewart

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everyone for your help, I do tend to go over the top with these sorts of things. The forms with the watermark have been niggling away at me, I thought something was not right. So, thank you for the guidance.

Our appointment is on the 14th December. I had a real challenge trying to get an appointment. The system kept telling me no appointments were available. I called the helpline and was told they could see appointments and to e-mail the help desk. I got back a generic e-mail explaining that appointments were at a premium and they were recruiting more staff. I called about 10 times; on one occasion I was immediately told no appointments were available. I said how can you possibly know that when I have not told you the location or date? The phone cut out at that point.
Luckily, I got connected to a very nice American lady who explained that due to me linking both the applications together the system was unable to find an appointment, it's a glitch in the software. She asked me the dates and time I was looking for and she secured them. I was then told to log into TLS within 1 hour to make payment or the appointments would be cancelled.
I have created folders under each of the headings of the required documents with the information from the website and the great advice from here. Hopefully everything has been covered.

Documents:

Pre-Requisite Documents
  • Receipt/Appointment booking sheet.
  • Print out of the application from French Visa website
  • Covering letter
  • Approved passport photographs
  • Passport
  • Travel document (tunnel booking)
  • Private Medical Insurance and health card
Purpose of travel/stay
  • Declaration not to undertake any professional activity whilst in France
  • Financial statement outlining we have both retired but both have deferred pensions so no evidence of pensions
  • Bank statements for the last 3 months
  • Copy of investments showing incoming return for the last 3 months and overall total of investment pot
  • Copy of ISA Investments
  • Letter explaining, I shall support the other half financially with copy of marriage certificate due to potential delays in their investment statements arriving.
Accommodation
  • Overview of the motorhome with pictures showing it is suitable to accommodate us for 6 months
  • Booking of an aire for the first 3 nights
  • Plan showing our planned journey where we intend to visit and stop explaining the use of campsite and camping aires along the way
  • V5 for the motorhome (letter explaining dual ownership for other half along with copy of marriage license)
  • Motorhome Insurance
Hopefully it shall all go to plan?

Thanks again for your help

Stewart

A bit cheeky wanting travel booking and medical insurance BEFORE granting a visa.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
A bit cheeky wanting travel booking and medical insurance BEFORE granting a visa.
I guess you just need to follow their rules if you want an extended stay in their country :-( The medical insurance is not an issue as it's our normal private health care policy which covers us anywhere in Europe and the booking is only a stay on an Aire so no great shakes.

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
They only wanted a copy of both sides of our GHIC cards and did not ask about our travel booking. If I recall, the travel booking is not required as per the French Consulate site and makes sense, afterall you might not get the Visa.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I guess you just need to follow their rules if you want an extended stay in their country :-( The medical insurance is not an issue as it's our normal private health care policy which covers us anywhere in Europe and the booking is only a stay on an Aire so no great shakes.

You did write "Travel document )Tunnel booking)"

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
In contrast to ORPP2, they wanted to see our booking for the first night. They asked what we would be doing for the other nights. Even though it was in our 'plan'.

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood.

They definitely wanted printed confirmation of where we were staying but did not ask to see our ferry booking confirmation.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood.

They definitely wanted printed confirmation of where we were staying but did not ask to see our ferry booking confirmation.
Ah! that’s one of the things I forgot to mention, we took the tunnel booking confirmation and asked that the visa started on that day which it did.

As I said earlier we took a printed route of places we would be visiting and just said we were travelling in our motorhome which they were fine with. 👍

Last edited:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Thanks everyone, we had our appointment on the 14th December as planned. They really didn’t seem too interested in the documents at TLScontact. The lady doing our application was more interested in eating her sandwich and sharing a bag of Doritos with the lady in the desk next to her. She did comment we appeared very organised ( thanks to the help from everyone here🙏) Everything was placed into 2 bags, fingerprints taken and told our passports should be ready on the 3rd January. Received a text yesterday saying our passports were ready for collection. So the process took 7 days from the appointment to us having our passports back in our hands, which is a great turnaround.

Thanks to everyone for all the support and help. We are on the tunnel 6th January.

Merry Christmas everyone

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Thanks everyone, we had our appointment on the 14th December as planned. They really didn’t seem too interested in the documents at TLScontact. The lady doing our application was more interested in eating her sandwich and sharing a bag of Doritos with the lady in the desk next to her. She did comment we appeared very organised ( thanks to the help from everyone here🙏) Everything was placed into 2 bags,
fingerprints taken and told our passports should be ready on the 3rd January. Received a text yesterday saying our passports were ready for collection. So the process took 7 days from the appointment to us having our passports back in our hands, which is a great turnaround.

Thanks to everyone for all the support and help. We are on the tunnel 6th January.

Merry Christmas everyone

Thanks to our French visas we’ve already done 4 months away, we’ve flown home for christmas and flying back also on 6th Jan to continue our travels.

Great to hear all went well for you and you never know we might bump into each other somewhere

Merry Christmas

Al n Val 🎅🧑‍🎄

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry haven’t read all the way through this thread but have a question. If we have a 6 month visa for France then travel through France to Spain, spend 4 months there then come back through France is that legal. What happens if you are stopped in Spain after you have been there 3-4 months are you legal or illegal. Can Spain expel you for being there for greater than 90 days or does the French visa cover this. Thanks

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry thought of another question, how soon after you return to UK having used this Visa can you go back into Schengen. Thanks

RV-AL

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Twickenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2021
Sorry haven’t read all the way through this thread but have a question. If we have a 6 month visa for France then travel through France to Spain, spend 4 months there then come back through France is that legal. What happens if you are stopped in Spain after you have been there 3-4 months are you legal or illegal. Can Spain expel you for being there for greater than 90 days or does the French visa cover this. Thanks
It is a French visa so doesn’t give you ant rights in Spain. As there are generally no border controls between the two counties there is a question as to whether anyone would know where you have been, but I guess if you got in an accident or needed help from the authorities someone might start asking questions. Given the digital footprint we all leave everywhere it wouldn’t be very hard for them to find out if you had overstayed the 90/180 day rule.

RV-AL

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Twickenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2021
Sorry thought of another question, how soon after you return to UK having used this Visa can you go back into Schengen. Thanks
Immediately. The impact of the visa is that your days in France don’t count towards the 90 days in 180 rule. Obviously to prove the dates you have arrived and left France you need to cross non-eu borders to get your passport stamped.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
It is a French visa so doesn’t give you ant rights in Spain. As there are generally no border controls between the two counties there is a question as to whether anyone would know where you have been, but I guess if you got in an accident or needed help from the authorities someone might start asking questions. Given the digital footprint we all leave everywhere it wouldn’t be very hard for them to find out if you had overstayed the 90/180 day rule.
That is the bit that concerned me. Without any proof of purchases etc then impossible and if on a Spanish site for any length of time the site could soon show you were there. Thanks

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021

You can travel into Spain from France and back again during the six month period of your French visa and the days which you spend in Spain would not count towards the 90/180 Schengen days. In effect your French visa allows travel throughout Schengen during its period of validity.

The catch is that if, when you apply for your French visa, your real purpose is to spend time in Spain then you are unlikely to get the visa. Question 25 on the application form - “What will be your address in France during your stay?” And Question 27 on the application form “Intended duration of stay on the territory of France”. There is no box in the answer to Question 27 for a period of less than three months. With a MH you may well have no fixed plans for our touring and an intention to spend more than three months in France in which case you could answer the questions accurately and the French Embassy would not consider that you are trying to abuse its visa process.

Last year we were in Mallorca for a week and Sardinia for 10 days during our visa period. We had no plans or intention to do either of these trips when we applied for our visas and so there was nothing to declare.

On your second question, I am not convinced that you have to stamp out on your French visa when it expires. We did because we had to return to the UK in any event. Plenty of people stay on and roll into their Schengen days. It might be different when border controls are fully computerised, or a problem when you reapply the next year and can’t show a French border stamp out on your visa.

If you do stamp out then you can come back the next day using your Schengen 90/180 days starting at day zero.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We met a couple on the motorhome area in Archena, Murcia, Spain. They were proud to tell us they were using a French visa to spend the best part of their six months in Spain. They'd used 5 days to get to Spain and were keeping the same to go back to France and then to the UK. The remainder was for their Spanish winter.

We didn't say anything. It's not for us to tell them that's not the point of the visa.

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Just a quick note. I have just completed the application for our 2nd long stay visas. Armed with last year knowledge it was pretty straightforward. We want our visas to start mid May and we applied the same time last year and got an appointment with TLS in April. However there has been a couple of changes. You cannot submit your application to TLS if you are using a none UK IP address for your broadband connection. Secondly the dates for appointments only go forward 1 month from the application date which was 6 March. We are not home until tge first week of April so cannot get a date. This means the TLS application (thankfully no money paid yet) will automatically be deleted after 10 days so I will have to do it again in March.

Oct 21, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
since Feb 2018
Thanks thats very helpful but has confirmed that I'm happy with 3 months Schengen and then further time (without the Van) in UK/Asia etc etc. If they cant simplify this then they aint getting my money! I wonder if its easier from any other schengen zones. i.e Portugal/Spain etc

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Interesting having a quick look through this thread again. I commented quite early on as I’d just gone through the whole TLS visa application thing in London (in Jan 2023). It was a real shocker for me having grown up with free movement and lived and worked in France, Germany, Denmark and Spain.

Congrats to those who have navigated the whole TLS thing successfully. With the benefit of hindsight it’s not difficult to get the initial visa. Everything is in English etc, documents required are relatively clear, and the whole process doesn’t take long.

However - a word of warning for those who might decide having spent an extended period in the EU that they quite like it and want to move there more permanently, especially if under retirement age… I’ve been going through that process over the past year in France and it really is quite the challenge. It’s not just the requirement to have the culture and language lessons, pass the tests, it’s the medical examinations, mental health assessments, endless form filling and applications. I’m trying to do it while living in a camper and I would not recommend it to anyone. The advice would be, make sure you have a proper French address, a French bank account, and focus on getting first the Carte Vitale, then a mutuale, then take as many language lessons you can before beginning the process to apply for your Carte de Sejour. I did it arse about face, and it’s been difficult.

Feb 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Just a note on applying for a second long stay visa after the expiration of the previous. This from the French Consulate

It is not possible to cumulate VLST as under current regulations, one is only allowed one VLST per 12 months meaning that a 6 month gap is required between the end of a VLST and the beginning of a new VLST. During this 6 month gap, one may visit France/the Schengen area for up to 90 days without visa.

In my case,

1-no visa to be obtained between 13/12/2023 (end of your VLS-T) and 14/06/2024.

2-you’ll be allowed to apply for a new VLST on 14/03/2024 at the earliest (3 months max. before the new VLST starting date). Please note that if granted, you’ll get a 6 month VLS-T max. this time as a longer validity now implies a set & clear project in France.

3-In order to validate your French long stay visa, it’ll have to be stamped on or after your long stay visa begins by French Border controls. Therefore, should you wish to enter France before your long stay visa begins, that’s allowed but you’ll then have to leave France and the Schengen area in order to enter on or after the beginning of your long stay visa, in compliance with French Laws and your French long stay visa’s validity

Useful to know for those who do / wish to spend long periods outside the UK

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
For those who have houses in France, why not get Residence in France.

A UK born person can do anything they want about entering, residing etc. in UK even if Resident abroad.

Your income and tax situation may or not change as there is a double-taxation agreement.

As far as a vehicle is concerned I believe it is a matter of whether the vehicle is in France for more than 6 months, which may not be the case, as to need to re-register.

I you still have a UK address and bank account most things like Pensions and vehicle registration can still be UK based.

There may be some aspects which I have missed, please advise.

I seem to manage in Poland as a Polish Resident, no assets here - all in UK, all tax in UK, but just had to re-register the MH. Just have to sort out OH not getting clobbered for double(UK and Poland) Inheritance Tax, as double-taxation agreement does not cover IHT.
Sadly if you are resident in France you cannot drive on uk insurance and you can only get French insurance if your vehicle has started the process of being re registered on to French plates

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back