Long Stay French Visa - Our application and interview/appointment. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
It’s worth it. What price a few weeks of hassle to go on a long holiday to our nearest neighbour country? Such minor things, even a collapsing currency and economy are such a tiny price to pay…

Think of what we now have outside that nasty, corrupt club, we have full control over our borders, a fantastic NHS with all that extra money, our food and shopping bills are all soooo much cheaper, and we are all loads richer. We have all the wonderful things we were promised just as in the video :D

and I don’t care if I get sent to Coventry
This is not a Political Statement just clarification . The decision to leave the EU was Personal, not political, not financial, I thought I would clarify that.

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
50 years of boating, just one on motorhomes.
This sounds like a good way to approach it. Hand over the residence card first, then if they still want to see the passport you can hand it over afterwards emphasising not to stamp it. We are now Slovenian residents but have not had the excitement of showing our residence cards yet .......
You would be stunned how aggressive the Spanish customs get when you try that on the Gibralter border. Actually, thinking about it, not surprising!

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Friends of ours have a house in France, he has British and Irish passports but his wife only has a British Passport. They have lived in France for half the year for nearly two decades.
So they decided to get permits, this was very complicated, until a French ex police inspector friend told them that it is the Police responsabilty to control their borders and that all the information they had received from the Marie was wrong.
Thus armed with the new information they were able to get heir permits and an apology from person dealing with their application.
A EU passport holder can stay in EU with their married partner without problem but to get confirmation is the difficulty!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think you have missed an important point here. An EU Citizen has the right of residence in any EU country under the 'freedom of movement' legislation. However they are only permitted to stay in another EU country for 90 days before they have to register and change their residency. Of course there is practically no way of checking this but thats what the law says. The reality within Europe is that, since there are no borders nobody knows or cares. The only point that any checking is done is at the Schengen borders.

If you are referring to my post#14, I cannot see that I have missed an important point about EU Citizens as I was only talking about my circumstances as Resident of a EU country, not a Citizen.

I did point out that EU Citizens registering in other EU countries is not enforced - the same point that you make.

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
If you are referring to my post#14, I cannot see that I have missed an important point about EU Citizens as I was only talking about my circumstances as Resident of a EU country, not a Citizen.

I did point out that EU Citizens registering in other EU countries is not enforced - the same point that you make.
I was not meaning to be critical, just pointing out that the 90 days is a general rule that affects Citizens and residents alike.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I was not meaning to be critical, just pointing out that the 90 days is a general rule that affects Citizens and residents alike.

Sorry I cannot agree with the 'alike'.

'Residents' are illegal if they stay anywhere outside their country of Residence for more than 90/180 in total, not just in one country.

'Citizens' on the other hand can stay as long as they want in other countries combined. Only if they stay in one country for more 90 days consecutively must they register, but they are still permitted to stay there. They can also leave that country for a day and the consecutive days start again. So they could travel around Schengen for ever if they do not stay for more than 90 days in one country.

So I allege that they are not treated 'alike'

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
Having spent a lot of time there. Firstly, its like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, nothing inbetween. Secondly, be very careful staying a long time, after three months its very hard to leave :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Unfortunately you always get a few who just can’t accept it and get on with their lives☹️☹️
Sad really!!
you also get thoise who ,having wanted out , are now attempting to find ways around it?
I think you have missed an important point here. An EU Citizen has the right of residence in any EU country under the 'freedom of movement' legislation.
yes they do.
Unfortunately Uk permanent residents no longer have that right
Trevor just need to get my head around this and ensure that I understand . If i have a Irish Passport which i do have and my wife has a British Passport which she does have as long as she is travelling with me she can exceed the 90 day rule.
yes
Technically this means you have 90 days in other EU countries (not 90 across the whole area) but since there is no record no one cares.
No it doesn't .
EU citizens have up to 90 consecutive days in a country leave for 24 hours clock resets & can return & continue forever if they want. the Uk permanent resident anywhere in the EU can no longer do that as under the WA they are limited to 90 days in the WHOLE of the EU same as Uk residents. Although as said as soon as they see an ID card interest is lost as impossible to proive & too much work
As i have said before card first.
You would be stunned how aggressive the Spanish customs get when you try that on the Gibralter border. Actually, thinking about it, not surprising!
You can enter spain from Gib on a TIE card alone. You only have to prove entitlement to enter spain, which your TIE does, nothing else. Do what i have done when confronted with ****'s like that in the GC before ·

" That is it there's **** all else i am carrying"
This is why i do not like Andalucia . most of the half wit ones are employed there.Some days it seems they are everywhere.
As above
There is now a complete difference legally between an EU 'citizen' rights & those of a 'UK permanent EU resident' rights under the Withdrawal Act.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
I s
you also get thoise who ,having wanted out , are now attempting to find ways around it?

yes they do.
Unfortunately Uk permanent residents no longer have that right

yes

No it doesn't .
EU citizens have up to 90 consecutive days in a country leave for 24 hours clock resets & can return & continue forever if they want. the Uk permanent resident anywhere in the EU can no longer do that as under the WA they are limited to 90 days in the WHOLE of the EU same as Uk residents. Although as said as soon as they see an ID card interest is lost as impossible to proive & too much work

As i have said before card first.

You can enter spain from Gib on a TIE card alone. You only have to prove entitlement to enter spain, which your TIE does, nothing else. Do what i have done when confronted with ****'s like that in the GC before ·

" That is it there's **** all else i am carrying"
This is why i do not like Andalucia . most of the half wit ones are employed there.Some days it seems they are everywhere.

As above
There is now a complete difference legally between an EU 'citizen' rights & those of a 'UK permanent EU resident' rights under the Withdrawal Act.
I stand corrected

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
:LOL: We would. Well worth it for 180 days of better food, scenery and lots more. Already travelled from Hawaii to Australia and in between. Now need to spend time in France, Spain and all of the others. Forget Morocco, not for us. But enjoy watching and hearing about others who go there.
We'll done for persisting to do what you want to do, it was very informative, nothing to with your process but, I have been all over France, country towns , villages, cities, I can't agree the the food is better than UK , or lots of other countries I think it's a fallacy, the French and certain Chefs promote, anyway I wish you and your family a good ,safe trip.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Thanks. I'm glad we're all different. That's what makes us interesting. I can take or leave posh French food. We love the range of food in markets, supermarkets and local shops.

I'll put a 'Tarte Tropezienne' against a custard doughnut any day.:giggle:

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Great news. The passports along with nice colourful Visas were delivered this morning. All in all it took nine days to get them and 14 days from filling in the application form online.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Great news. The passports along with nice colourful Visas were delivered this morning. All in all it took nine days to get them and 14 days from filling in the application form online.
That is great news. We will be applying this time next year so hopefully we can get everything done between Morocco and the Olympics!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks. I'm glad we're all different. That's what makes us interesting. I can take or leave posh French food. We love the range of food in markets, supermarkets and local shops.

I'll put a 'Tarte Tropezienne' against a custard doughnut any day.:giggle:
I'll wager a Pastel de Nata ... :tounge::tounge::tounge::tounge:

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Forgot to add, we paid extra for the courier service £18 each. We received an email yesterday that the passports would be delivered today. So that worked as well.

All in all we had a fairy smooth application. As with most things first time, we were unsure of the outcome and what would happen once in the TLS building. But we wouldn't hesitate to do the same next year.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
No, I believe it's a one entry & exit visa, ie one entry to France from the UK and one return to the UK, then it's invalid, can't be used for multiple jaunts even if you still have some days left.
I’m not sure if this is accurate. Our friends have a house in France and got a 6 month visa last year (and again this year). They routinely return to the UK for a couple of weeks in the middle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I’m not sure if this is accurate. Our friends have a house in France and got a 6 month visa last year (and again this year). They routinely return to the UK for a couple of weeks in the middle.
It could be that the second trip is their standard 90 day Schengen allowance.

It could also be that they have double or multiple entry visas, some info here.

We're discussing the standard entry visa which people are getting which is one use only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
We were asked on the website when filling in the application form if we wanted a single or multiple entry. We ticked multiple as we need to return in August for a couple of weeks. We also stated this in our application letter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think, but would need to check to be sure, that a single entry allows you to stay more than 90 days in one go but a double or multi entry one might only allow 90 day max per stay.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I find it funny that there are people slating folk who voted out but are now attempting to find ways around certain restrictions..why? ... how does anyone know just why someone voted as they did...they may have voted and had no consideration on freedom of movement at all..that may have been way down on their list of priorities...I even heard some suggest Leave voters should never even go on holiday ever again in Europe..madness ..... if someone voted leave for whatever reason and is now Applying for a French visas or whatever then good luck to them I say..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think, but would need to check to be sure, that a single entry allows you to stay more than 90 days in one go but a double or multi entry one might only allow 90 day max per stay.
with a visa you can stay in for the complete amount of time allowed. With a multiple entry/exit you can stay the complete amount of time allowed whilst entering & exiting as many times as you wish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back