Long standing problem (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Our Bessacarr 769 has had problems for about 4 Years now. Orange engine warning light comes on and off occasionally. We have spent £100s of pounds on diagnostics in uk plus Spain and Germany. Still have the problem. Been in a Fiat garage for over 5 weeks now and still not got it back. They say the egr valve and cooler need replacing. Quote over £2000 pounds and can’t guarantee it will solve the problem.
They say they can’t replicate the problem on their test dive. The problem we have is the engine hesitating an jerking every so often.
Anyone have any suggestions please ?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Foreign bodies in the fuel tank ? .....VERY !!! ......basic,but you seem to have covered every other angle, it's where i would start,something part blocking the stack pipe up to pump. It could be as simple as a little plastic/paper sticker fallen into the tank on assembly. Cost to check.......... Cheap as chips.
You will /may find this hard to believe , but Cotton Waste or Longish Grass has caused many a " Sinners " lorry to have very similar problems........... ;)
Tea Bag

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had an excavator years ago that kept on cutting out then starting again loosing power then ok again.
Turned out a fuel hose was collapsing and sucking together stopping the fuel flow!
New hose and it was away, took ages to sort out.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is it one of those with the dodgy injector harness, made too short, so every now and then, it hesitates and loses power. Next time you start the fault has vanished

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A £3.50 EGR blanking plate may be a cheaper solution

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Throttle body (and associated wiring loom). You don't say what engine or year but it was a recurring problem on 2006 -2009 Ducato X250 130 engine. Caused by rain water flowing over the throttle body because Fiat missed out a protective scuttle cover. You need a Fiat Professional Commercial dealer to analyse it properly, everyone else is just guessing - as you've found out. Been there!

Don't hear of this problem much nowadays because they've all (well mostly) been replaced.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks it’s 2010

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Throttle body has been changed but not the wiring apparently.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I changed the throttle body no change only when the pins were pushed slightly in with a sewing needle,now run perfect.

Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Not sure how diesel cars compare vs vans, but our old diesel mondeo started getting the orange engine warning light and we had intermittent diesel particulate filter problems. Occasionally the engine management system would kick in to reduce power.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Possible blocked fuel filter. Cheap and easy to change, you never know ,and good idea to replace anyway.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Throttle body has been changed but not the wiring apparently.
A better part was fitted to later vans, and that had to have a new wiring loom connector. If yours did not need the new wiring, then it was one of the older version parts prone to failure again

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
I had a problem on a van I owned a few years ago like that, a mechanic told me to go put a litre of petrol in the diesel tank then take it down the motorway in fourth gear on full revs for about half an hour........sounds scary I know and I was cringing doing it but the light never came on again in the two years I owned it......

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
During investigation this was suggested to me as well - although we ended up with the garage carrying out a controlled clean, computer monitored, which amounted to the same thing.

The engine ran quieter and sweeter after - but it didn't cure the power loss. Just another of the "we'll try this and see if it works" efforts.

It was a Fiat Professional Commercial garage that sorted it - went straight to it in fact.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I had a problem on a van I owned a few years ago like that, a mechanic told me to go put a litre of petrol in the diesel tank then take it down the motorway in fourth gear on full revs for about half an hour........sounds scary I know and I was cringing doing it but the light never came on again in the two years I owned it......
I brought a bottle of carlube I think dpf cleaner poured it in! What's in this stuff??? Petrol!! Expensive petrol!!!

Also brought some archoil will see how that works...

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back