Long sharp object in front tyre (1 Viewer)

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Why would you want to RISK a repair.....as has been said, it's very close to the wall so not typically repairable.
Don't RISK it CHANGE it.............if not for your sake, everyone else that is on the road near you.
You know it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!

The photo on this thread isn't a photo of my tyre.
NOT SURE HOW MY POST ENDED UP HERE......as if from popotla?????????????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look on ebay for tyre repair kits. I think YouTube has some videos aswell.
Those are dangerous & I think illegal, that's how they use to repair tyres in the 1960's . To plug a tyre properly you have to take the wheel off and fit a self vulcanising mushroom head plug.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Those are dangerous & I think illegal, that's how they use to repair tyres in the 1960's . To plug a tyre properly you have to take the wheel off and fit a self vulcanising mushroom head plug.
If it gets you out of a problem then I wouldn't care if it's illegal or not. They are mainly used for off road vehicles but if I really needed to get out of a situation and take it for a new tyre then I would. It's similar to using an under inflated tyre, that's also illegal .... as it using a spare that's under inflated or below the legal limit. If you needed to, would you use one then?

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Yesterday morning I went to a tyre place 2.5 km away from our overnight spot. Before getting there, the nail or whatever had fallen out, though it's mark was still visible. There was no leakage. I suggested replacing this wheel wih the spare but was told "absolutely not necessary". Yesterday afternoon, however, in another town, I had this done, so the "nailed" tyre is now the spare. This place was extremely busy, worked on an appointment system, but I'd persuaded them to do this for me. Was charged 7.50 Euro for the change and balancing. The guy suggested that at some point I could have the inside of the tyre checked to see if there is in fact a perforation. It seems to me, though, that even if there isn't, it could be that there's very nearly or very very nearly such a perforation and an apparent absence of one wouldn't prove the tyre's safety.

I guess that the nail was quite short and wasn't in deeply but as I say, that's just a guess. (How a long one could have become embedded, as discussed above here, is not quite clear.)

No photo. In the high wind and the rain, yesterday morning, I forgot to do this.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have a plug kit and would not hesitate to use it if required, I had a puncture repaired in France some years ago and the guy just plugged it from outside 10 minutes job done, was still good years later when I had the tyres changed, I asked my tyre fitter about them and he said that's what he carries in his own car for emergencies and wasn't too worried, I think they are legal.

Martin

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've run a lot of scrap metal into scrapyards in the past, and I've picked up a lot of nails and screws. I try to develop a relationship with a fitter of part worn tyres, and I have those fitted to replace any damaged tyres. It's only a couple of quid more than a repair, and a good supplier should let you check the tyre before he replaces it. Some of the tyres are virtually new, and I haven't had one fail on me yet.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It’s quite astounding what a Tyre can pick up,back in the Morris Marina days “New” I had a puncture on the A1, subsequently when getting it fixed at the Garage after having fitted the spare the puncture was caused by a Rasp File entering the Tyre it was 8” x 1” in size, how the hell it got in seems impossible.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

A plug is legal & an accepted way to repair a tyre & they tend to be done from the outside nowadays & the repair is invariably successful.

A big no, no with a plug is if the tyre is steel belted, the belts must not show damage, in other words sticking out of the tyre.

I was a tyre fitter in a previous life & take tyre safety very seriously indeed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back