Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Dead easy if you know what you're doing :LOL:
Pitfalls are buying the wrong mirror. Many replacements on ebay do not have either radio aerial or outside temperature sensor (things to check)
Thanks Andy

Sadly I don't know what I'm doing...:censored:

Have been looking on EBay and most of the mirrors do not have the aerial or temp sensors.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I really need a new n/s long arm mirror .. :( (although the cycle brake pads I inserted in it do a great job)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
How easy are these mirrors to fit? I need to replace mine but am worried about removing and refitting the internal door trim
I did have a guide on how to do it posted here, but it was removed on the site change over. The main issue with removing the inner trim is it does not pull out, you have to pull it down and out otherwise you break some of the plastic securing lugs. Double sided tape will stick the trim back on if you do though. Also you need to remove the speakers from the inner handle assembly (if they are fitted) and pop off the electric window switch from the inside of the handle with a screwdriver once you have got the speaker out. It's impossible to get at the mirror connector and wiring loom if you don't do the above. Two other things to watch out for are the mirror retaining screws are soft and have a torx head. Pugeot and I am assuming FIAT now have a replacement part for these awful screws which is a proper bolt and you can definitely get them from a Pugeot dealer. (Don't be tempted to reuse the original screws as the heads will most likely disintegrate) Lastly the mirror itself has a retaining lug which stops it from falling out of the cab when the retaining screws are removed, make sure you lift the mirror assembly up and outwards to take it off, not just outwards!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I did have a guide on how to do it posted here, but it was removed on the site change over. The main issue with removing the inner trim is it does not pull out, you have to pull it down and out otherwise you break some of the plastic securing lugs. Double sided tape will stick the trim back on if you do though. Also you need to remove the speakers from the inner handle assembly (if they are fitted) and pop off the electric window switch from the inside of the handle with a screwdriver once you have got the speaker out. It's impossible to get at the mirror connector and wiring loom if you don't do the above. Two other things to watch out for are the mirror retaining screws are soft and have a torx head. Pugeot and I am assuming FIAT now have a replacement part for these awful screws which is a proper bolt and you can definitely get them from a Pugeot dealer. (Don't be tempted to reuse the original screws as the heads will most likely disintegrate) Lastly the mirror itself has a retaining lug which stops it from falling out of the cab when the retaining screws are removed, make sure you lift the mirror assembly up and outwards to take it off, not just outwards!

You just gave me one more reason to protect them !
Doing the above job is easy when we know what we are doing or st home with all the correct tools at hand and stuff like double sided tape if the clips do go.
But onsite away from home it sounds like a right royal pain.. A pain that can be avoided or at least the risk greatly reduced..

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You just gave me one more reason to protect them !
Doing the above job is easy when we know what we are doing or st home with all the correct tools at hand and stuff like double sided tape if the clips do go.
But onsite away from home it sounds like a right royal pain.. A pain that can be avoided or at least the risk greatly reduced..
Instead of a barbecue, I carry the tools and bolts and a spare mirror to replace the L/H mirror. As that is the item most likely to be damaged on European roads in my experience and cause a stop to your trip. But I trained as an engineer so I cant help wanting to do it myself!!!

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
These were what I was interested in:

Broken Link Removed

but these are for short arms only and I can't tell if they are a protective cover or a replacement rear of the actual mirror. The price is good if they are a protective cover.

I'll keep looking !

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Instead of a barbecue, I carry the tools and bolts and a spare mirror to replace the L/H mirror. As that is the item most likely to be damaged on European roads in my experience and cause a stop to your trip. But I trained as an engineer so I cant help wanting to do it myself!!!

I agree mate I really do . I too am all for curing problems myself and not going to others to sort problems out .

We have PVC so everything I / we buy is scaled right down to the minimum. I do carry quite a lot of tools but would prefer not to sacrifice valuable space for things like mirrors. I hate clutter in our compromised space !
If I fit a pair of covers and never clatter them I will be a happy bunny. If I do clatter them I might save the cost of an expensive mirror cos I'm a fussy bugger and would not fit a pattern part.

I guess we all do it differently eh ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I agree mate I really do . I too am all for curing problems myself and not going to others to sort problems out .

We have PVC so everything I / we buy is scaled right down to the minimum. I do carry quite a lot of tools but would prefer not to sacrifice valuable space for things like mirrors. I hate clutter in our compromised space !
If I fit a pair of covers and never clatter them I will be a happy bunny. If I do clatter them I might save the cost of an expensive mirror cos I'm a fussy bugger and would not fit a pattern part.

I guess we all do it differently eh ?
We do.....I just have had 2 LH mirrors get damaged on 3 Euro trips !!!!! The first clip took out the bottom wide angle mirror and the bottom of the casing so was a write off, the second clip blew up the bulb and cracked the casing but was still functional after gaffer tape. I bought a new one when I sold the van, hence the spare.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
The original Mirroguards are without any shadow of a doubt the best quality. I looked at all three available at the NEC and the other two are rubbish by comparison. The other advantage of any of the guards is that, if you buy white ones, they make your mirrors more visible to oncoming vehicles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
These were what I was interested in:

Broken Link Removed

but these are for short arms only and I can't tell if they are a protective cover or a replacement rear of the actual mirror. The price is good if they are a protective cover.

I'll keep looking !
They appear to be covers, rather than the unit itself, you can also get some chrome ones for £21 delivered if you want a bit of bling!

Broken Link Removed

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
They appear to be covers, rather than the unit itself, you can also get some chrome ones for £21 delivered if you want a bit of bling!

Broken Link Removed
Those won't fit the long arm mirrors it says on picture 2 or 3 on Ebay I think they are the wrong shape and not designed for fitting on the longer long arms. But for £21 I might be tempted with a saw !!!

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Those won't fit the long arm mirrors it says on picture 2 or 3 on Ebay I think they are the wrong shape and not designed for fitting on the longer long arms. But for £21 I might be tempted with a saw !!!

Are you supposing these are a cover that fixes over the existing ones like the Milenco ones or a replacement mirror back cover ?

If these are the over the top ones I would buy a pair and paint them the same as the body colour of our MH which is Peugeot "Golden white"

I think they are replacement back covers though. I have mailed the Ebay seller and asked the question..

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Are you supposing these are a cover that fixes over the existing ones like the Milenco ones or a replacement mirror back cover ?

If these are the over the top ones I would buy a pair and paint them the same as the body colour of our MH which is Peugeot "Golden white"

I think they are replacement back covers though. I have mailed the Ebay seller and asked the question..
yes pretty sure the short arm has a replaceable back cover for when it is bashed, the long arm is a complete unit. I managed to 'weld' a large piece of the backing I cut off and salvaged from my first long arm mirror onto my second bashed mirror using a liquid glue gun. But obviously that would be quite a radical permanent solution for some 'adapted' covers :whistle2:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Blimey.......thanks for the advice, but each time I've read it I think I'm going to find a garage....

Appreciate your help.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I think this is a 'medium' mirror .......

MIRROR MEDIUM.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just bought a set of these covers for £6.99 - hubby's gonna spray paint them to match our camper (golden white too!), not expecting them to give much protection in a ' bang' but certainly will be more visible.

Broken Link Removed

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Some bloke in a dealership told me coach builts will pretty much always be long arm and PVC's will usually be short arm

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just bought a set of these covers for £6.99 - hubby's gonna spray paint them to match our camper (golden white too!), not expecting them to give much protection in a ' baneg' but certainly will be more visible.

Broken Link Removed

Mel are you thinking those will go over the existing mirror backs or in place of them ?

I mailed the seller of the ones you kindly listed above to ask whether they go over the top of or replace the standard fit mirror backs.

These ones.
Broken Link Removed

I got this reply
Hi

These are chrome covers made from plastic ABS, They go on top of the existing covers, mainly used for a facelift.
They have double sided tape that comes ready at the back. For extra security you could add some more double sided tape.

Let me know if you require anything else. Thanks unquote.

So it seems the chrome ones definately go over the top so would be suitable as make shift protectors. They could be fixed with thicker foam double sided tape to give extra protection.

But it would depend on the fit. If there is space in the cover then padding would be fine but if not they would or could look gash...

Im interested to hear how you get on with the ones you have ordered as at 6 quid they are a better start point for spraying which is exactly what I would do with the chrome ones. No way could I fit those blingy chrome ones without painting them. (y)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel are you thinking those will go over the existing mirror backs or in place of them ?
Over the top off the existing ones as 'cosmetic' covers. We're due to go back to finish off decorating our 'old' static caravan but these should come before we go ... hopefully ... so will report back when I get them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, they arrived and for the money they are good ...but ... unfortunately they are casings, ie replacement backs, NOT covers!!!!!! :(

I've been in touch with the seller and told him and at first he wanted us to send them back at our cost (I don't think they quite understood the issue and thought they were damaged), I pointed out that as it was their fault due to their misleading listing and they sent a pre-paid postage label so we've now posted them back; once they get them they'll give us a full refund.

If anyone wants/needs some replacement backs, whilst they're probably not as 'robust' as the originals (not that I've taken one off to find out!), they are good.

Oh well, back to the drawing board ... considering buying the genuine long arm Mirrorguards that our friend is selling (see listing in Classifieds) and seeing if we can alter them to fit our short arms.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well, they arrived and for the money they are good ...but ... unfortunately they are casings, ie replacement backs, NOT covers!!!!!! :(

I've been in touch with the seller and told him and at first he wanted us to send them back at our cost (I don't think they quite understood the issue and thought they were damaged), I pointed out that as it was their fault due to their misleading listing and they sent a pre-paid postage label so we've now posted them back; once they get them they'll give us a full refund.

If anyone wants/needs some replacement backs, whilst they're probably not as 'robust' as the originals (not that I've taken one off to find out!), they are good.

Oh well, back to the drawing board ... considering buying the genuine long arm Mirrorguards that our friend is selling (see listing in Classifieds) and seeing if we can alter them to fit our short arms.

And I asked the same question in detail And got a reply as posted above !
Point of interest . You can request a returns label for goods from Ebay via the complaints procedure. The seller either then voluntarily supplies one or Ebay will supply one and charge the seller more.

Anyway. I bought a pair of the Milenco ones which are very good. Fit is exceptional and I will install a few foam pads inside the casings for extra protection. These protectors will take a fair knock but if its a big impact I think damage may still be done. . Still far far better than nowt (y)(y)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
@MinxyGirl I have fitted long arm mirror guards from my bailey to my pilote with a bit of alteration. I did find a difference between the O/S and N/S. As @Techno short arms should not get hit but I find when traveling down narrow lanes they do protect the casings from the hedges and such.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back