Lone traveller - is it really safe? (1 Viewer)

GHOSTFOX

Free Member
Jul 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
ROADSTAR 786
Exp
MAY 2014
Read this today and it has made me think, OK I have a carbon monoxide detector and fire alarm, always lock the doors and windows, I have the dogs......I have something hidden just in case......... I am usually always staying on a site of some sort but there may come a time when I'm 'stuck'. What are your views and any additional advice?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fumes-car-exhaust-knock-travelled-France.html

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
first of all, believe very little you read in the daily mail with its sensationalist crap, manipulating facts to make a more newsworthy story. secondly as you will see from many many threads on here, there is very little truth to people being gassed and robbed, as in the gassing part is a myth

travelling as a solo traveller, is as safe as you make it. the vast majority that travel alone have never had any trouble. if you have dogs, you are even safer still as thieves tend to be secretive and opportunistic. if a dog barks or an alarm goes off, they wont hang about for a second try

OP
OP
GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

Free Member
Jul 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
ROADSTAR 786
Exp
MAY 2014
TheBig1, I did wonder how they got in as surely (as I do) no matter where you are you lock the doors? So how did they get in in the first place? Only mentions robbery, no damage to doors or windows. Having said that, have heard of this before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the simplest method is a bent screwdriver.....put the blade in the lock and turn it. they are only made of plastic so move easily

before anyone objects to me posting this to give thieves an idea, they already know how to jemmy a lock

OP
OP
GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

Free Member
Jul 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
ROADSTAR 786
Exp
MAY 2014
Ok, that said, can I get the lock changed then? Lunar Roadstar 786

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yes is the simple answer but the security barrels are quite expensive. best to fit a good perimeter alarm, triggered by opening a door. that way you can set it when going to bed and not worry. just remember to switch off before stepping outside

a great visual deterrent is a very large dog's water bowl left by the door

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
yes is the simple answer but the security barrels are quite expensive. best to fit a good perimeter alarm, triggered by opening a door. that way you can set it when going to bed and not worry. just remember to switch off before stepping outside

a great visual deterrent is a very large dog's water bowl left by the door
the big dogs dish is a lot cheaper than an alarm....:LOL::LOL:But i too need an alarm fitting for the doors,,,its just finding the right place to have it done :(

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Lets say they got in because the door wasn't locked in the first place?? I cant see any damage to the lock. Did I miss something the Mail photographer saw??

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Just Google all the first hand reports you can find of incidents. Make sure you exclude the 'friend of a friend' and slow news day reports.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I travel on my own all the time and have been for the last 3 years, in France mainly stopping on aires. ln all that time only once did I think, not stopping here and moved on.
I do have an alarm that I set every night and I make sure everything is locked, sleep like a baby.
In case everyone thinks ignorance is bliss back in 2003 my caravan was broken into, they even took the watch off my arm, blade lock, screwdriver and spanner, opens everytime. Since then I always change for a barrel lock, not that expensive but cant be opened as easily

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Get a Jack Russell Small, manageable, but can hear an owl 'toot' at 300 yards during the night. (y)(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My only two thefts were when I wasn't in the van... one motorway cafe and the other at a food festival rally.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had them later, behind the cafe where the second theft took place........:Eeek::Eeek:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I spent just short of 2 years full time in my m/home. Alone except for dogs/cats. Never had a problem, never worried once.
Fiamma handle that closes across the habitation door. If wild camping/Aire camping I locked that then entered through the cab, locking the doors.
For extra security you can buy 2 dog tethers like these:
Broken Link Removed
Together they fit across the cab, looped through the handles. If someone gets your door open, it will be just a few inches, you'd be awake by then. They'd have to get something through the small gap to attempt to cut the cables. Add an alarm as Jim suggests. I had one that was the old "rape alarm" pull the cord out, shrill noise. Mounted on the door arm rest, longer than normal cord on it looped through the sterling wheel-- open the door, cord pulls out.

I never felt worried.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Broken Link Removed

There you go, cheap as chips---one in my van was mounted in a holder. Screwed to arm rest on door. Add an extra bit of strap-- a lanyard would do, loop round steering wheel. Instant alarm.

OP
OP
GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

Free Member
Jul 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
ROADSTAR 786
Exp
MAY 2014
I have a PAA, will rig that up. Can I ask something in confidence? Not that anyone knows me, but......

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Jeeeesh , I think if a rape alarm went off under our Luton bed whilst we were asleep up there I'd have a heart attack !
Just lock the doors and park in a safe place.

Our dogs would bark to alert us.

Then the base ball bat or shotgun would be out. ;)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Park in a safe spot and unless someone's been watching you for a while they've no idea whether there's one in the van or 6

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I would set the wife on them ......................................... oops did I really just type that? :whistle2:

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Just got back from 10 days solo wildcamping. Only one minor scare.
Parked miles from anywhere, about 11:30pm car arrived with 3 lads. Thought oh oh but they were just some very poor lads. They must have been poor 'cos they all got out a shared a single hand rolled ciggy and then drove off very quietly.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh dear, it's things like that get me into trouble.... I would have asked them in for a coffee to get warm.... Last journey I wildcamped I felt sorry for a young motorcyclist who was drenched from a storm .....and he had coffe with me till the storm passed....

Just shows you can trust people and it's a shame we have to worry about safety in this day and age.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Being an ex crime prevention officer I am keen to stay safe and have a cat one alarm fitted, however with increasing stories I decided to fit some flexible door restraints to the inside of the doors so that they will not open even if the locks are forced they were simple to fit only four screws in each they come with lock and screws, I am a chippy so I suppose it sounds easy to me but anyone with a bit of DIY knowledge could do this It just gives a bit of piece of mind whilst asleep although our dogs would let us know if someone was outside.
The restrictors are: Penkid window cable restictors. Cost £5.51 each.sales@trulypvc.com

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Having a Yorkie called Fang (joking!!) is the best deterrant, forget mice farting at 300 yards and dogs barking in the next country, she's so clever she can hear would be thieves planning a break-in!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back