London Emmision Zone (LEZ) Charge (1 Viewer)

BlueToaster

Free Member
Aug 8, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato swift Royale
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all,
Has anybody been charged with a London Emission Zone charge of £250,
Or if appealed what was your excuse? and did they waiver the charge?

I was on my way to Dover on 25th July to tour France for 2 weeks and accidently turned off at A1 to London instead of the M25, my SatNav sent me there.

I got back on to the A10 to enfield to get back on the M25, as soon as I saw the Emmision Zone sign.
I'm not clued up with the Emmision Zones around London I travelled from Lancaster.

I came home last night and found a letter for this charge.

Regards

BlueToaster

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm not going to be much use accept to say, when I went too close to the city I rushed home and paid online the same day and it was about £12.00.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Shred it. I would rather show my ass in Tesco's window for three months then pay that!!:eek:

If they finally take you to court, offer to pay at 50p a week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
1. £12 seems a bit low, Griff. Are you getting mixed up with the Congestion Charge?
2. I don't think it is good advice to shred it because they will definitely pursue it and it could get costly. See Here regarding daily and penalty charges.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I'm not going to be much use accept to say, when I went too close to the city I rushed home and paid online the same day and it was about £12.00.

thats the congestion charge not the emissions if you van dont comply with it then ya not allowed in

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Hi all,
Has anybody been charged with a London Emission Zone charge of £250,
Or if appealed what was your excuse? and did they waiver the charge?

I was on my way to Dover on 25th July to tour France for 2 weeks and accidently turned off at A1 to London instead of the M25, my SatNav sent me there.

I got back on to the A10 to enfield to get back on the M25, as soon as I saw the Emmision Zone sign.
I'm not clued up with the Emmision Zones around London I travelled from Lancaster.

I came home last night and found a letter for this charge.

Regards

BlueToaster

check 1st online put ya reg number in and see if complies if it does tell em to f off

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
BROKEN LINK

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to hear about your plight 'toaster.

The London Congestion Charge is a totally different thing to the London Emissions Zone (LEZ). You can't miss the congestion zones because there's a ruddy great letter 'C' marked on the road surface in red and white. The congestion charge zones are closer in to the centre of London than where you were.

The LEZ was brought in to lower London's high pollution levels and took loads of old buses, cars, coaches, lorries (and motorhomes) off the road - although some paid out for costly exhaust emission conversions.

Don't ignore the penalty notice for chrissake! It goes up to £500 beyond 14 days and they DO persue offenders ( albeit you were innocent).

I would phone, email or write to them and tell them exactly as you have told us. If you can provide proof of your 'breadcrumb trail' from your sat Nav, even better. If you appeal in a pleasant and positive way and tell them you were from up north they may respond in kind. It's not as if you're a habitual offender - just and honest mistake that you rectified in as short a time a possible.

Good luck

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
RULE 1. Stay away from London!!
RULE 2. Stay WELL away from London!(y)

They could make it 50 k, I still wouldn't pay it, and as I have no assets, then they could lock me up!.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
It's a tax which means it's government
Which means they can and will
Employ bailiffs for there blood money
Think the first thing they think of is the vehicle in question
If that covers the fine/ tax off it goes

I think I'd pay then appeal

As said before don't go to London
If you must travel in by train

London as far as LEZ is concerned is everything in side the m25
Or the first turnig allowing you to go back outside the m25

If I had to return from Kent on a trip in the truck
And the bridge/ tunnel was closed
I would have to travel the 120 odd miles around the m25
How does that save emissions so it can only be a tax

October will be a month to watch out for the booths at the tunnel are going
You will have to pay the toll before or after your use of the tunnel/bridge
Or set up an account with them just been informed by email
And a letter/leaflet in car tax reminder

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You can check if your vehicle is compliant on London emission zone checker by putting your registration no in . We are not since 2012 which is a bit annoying because we did like to visit friends ans family there . Our van is too old ! Unfortunately the charge is a whopping £ 250.00 per day !

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
BROKEN LINK

Just used the link and it says my 2008 Boxer is Compliant, it then said For now. If they move the goalposts I will have to check again.
However as I'm up north the nearest I will get will be on the M25 to Dover.

Mike

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
just tell them it was an accident that you ventured into the NO GO ZONE and you would not go in there knowingly if they paid you 250£

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just checked my MH and it's compliant. However wild horses couldn't drag me there anyway.

It doesn't seem to apply to my Land rover though, even though it's diesel and a similar size engine.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just used the link and it says my 2008 Boxer is Compliant, it then said For now. If they move the goalposts I will have to check again.
However as I'm up north the nearest I will get will be on the M25 to Dover.

Mike
Too late to edit the post but don't know why I put 2008 as it's a 2012 Boxer.

Mike

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think the first thing they think of is the vehicle in question
If that covers the fine/ tax off it goes

The wife owns ours. The wife owns the house. The wife owns ME!. :):)

This is RICH!! 'How to Meet The Standard'
Replace your vehicle
You could upgrade to a newer vehicle that meets the standards or an electric vehicle

Cheeky Barstewards! Are they going to buy me a new one!! All a money grabbing bollox.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Most appeals are refused.

There is a website that deals with this though so try the consumer money advice website as a start

make sure all the details on their allegation are actually correct, including the photograph of your vehicle.

check your registration against the LEZ compliance and check your vehicle emissions, if they are actually below regulation then claim exemption not sure how this is done though

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the London LEZ may be reported as an environmental improvement policy. really its a scheme to make money, lots and lots of money. so dont expect any appeal to be successful as people just like you are the reason the scheme is there. make money from the unwary and if not paid immediately you get charged even more.

it must make millions every year the LEZ operates

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
accidently turned off at A1 to London instead of the M25, my SatNav sent me there.

Hi It sounds to me like you took the A1 in & followed the A406 round & up the A10 back to the M25
:cautious:
On the A1 the LEZ starts @ the 1st roundabout you come to heading in & On the A10 the start is the 1st set of lights inside the M25 Bullsmoor Lane or in your case the last set approx 300 yards from the M25

In future I would suggest absolutely no diversions inside the M25 as apart from sections around watford pretty much all of it is LEZ including some parts outside of the M25

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the London LEZ may be reported as an environmental improvement policy. really its a scheme to make money, lots and lots of money. so dont expect any appeal to be successful as people just like you are the reason the scheme is there. make money from the unwary and if not paid immediately you get charged even more.

it must make millions every year the LEZ operates
It might make millions but that does not mean it is just for money making. Speaking as an asthma sufferer, the fewer non-compliant vehicles in cities like London the better.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
we have to tax the northern oiks who come there with their old vehicles polluting our lovely clean air
HAH! Clean air?? London STINKS of dirty river, rubbish piled up, MILLIONS of sweaty pedestrians, all rushing to get..........nowhere. Mouldy old churches, mouldy old Bishops, mouldy old Royalty, in fact, I cant really think of a good reason to visit the place.
The best thing that happened in London, ever??
The great fire. You desperately need another one, soon. (y)(y):);)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
HAH! Clean air?? London STINKS of dirty river, rubbish piled up, MILLIONS of sweaty pedestrians, all rushing to get..........nowhere. Mouldy old churches, mouldy old Bishops, mouldy old Royalty, in fact, I cant really think of a good reason to visit the place.
The best thing that happened in London, ever??
The great fire. You desperately need another one, soon. (y)(y):);)

Not a fan of our wonderful capital city then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back