LONDON BUSES GO 'CASHLESS' FROM SUNDAY! (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Any Funster's visiting Luundun should note that from Sunday 6th July 2014 all buses operated in the Central and Greater London Areas by Transport For London (TFL) will be cashless. All passengers must have a pre-paid or concessionary ticket.

This info' may be of use to anyone visiting the Capital in the future and in particular, those coming to see Le Tour de France (London stage) which wends its way into the Greater London Area from Herts and Essex, around the Olympic Park, other London landmarks before winding up at Buck House.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thought they already were. Last year we needed an Oyster Card or a day travel card from London Transport, which helpfully could not be bought on the bus. So we just walked on and thought we will deal with any problem if and when it arises. Provided you have the cost of the fare in your pocket you cannot be done for trying to dodge paying a fare.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tut. Now all the drivers will go on strike because their 'unofficial bonus' has disappeared.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
True, but many don't.

We were discussing this at work earlier. My office is in Hammersmith. The silly thing is, you can't just 'get a bus' any more should you need one. You need a definite means which seems to contradict many people using them.

The other thing is this. Many bus users are on a low income and many use cash as a first means of payment. Going cashless makes it harder for them.

I'm all for cashless, but surely it would be better if buses could accept 'chip and pin' debit cards as well?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Those of us who travel abroad are amazed how ridiculous our ticket system for transport is!!!!!!!!!!!! In Luxemburg you get on a bus in the country and buy a ticket for both bus and train to take you to the city and pay cash.
In nearly every European country you buy a ticket to your destination regardless of how many bus changes this might take.
With cashless buses I am embarrassed for the foreigners and out of London visitors who have to try and cope with this crazy system.

(PS why with this new set up does my curser fly all over the place when I type?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back