London Bound (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I am hoping to travel to London next week and need help. Do any of you friends have a route from the M25 to Crystal Palace that avoids the congestion charge? Or even a possible route to Abbey Wood. As usual the Caravan Club are clueless unless you are paying them for something. Thanks, Willjoy.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Wiljoy

If you go around the M25 to the M23 Gatwick junction and head north into London you will miss the congestion charge zone. It may be advisable to check your vehicle registration number on the TFL website to make sure you are compliant with the London Emision Zone. There is a hefty fine if you enter it with a non compliant vehicle. I am not sure as to whether the Crystal Palace site is within the LEZ but best not to take chances at £100 a day.

Link Removed

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We haven't been to Crystal Palace but I wouldn't have thought you would go anywhere near the Congestion Charge zone from the north east as motorways/ring roads will take you well away from the centre of London.

Abbey Wood is easy from the north east - just follow the route in the CC Handbook.

We did it from Middlesbrough last January. Main points to watch are to come off the M25 at Junction 2 onto the A2 and then to follow the route near to the site as printed in the book, because the more direct route can be tricky for large vehicles.

We chose Abbey Wood as it looked as if it would be easier to get to from our area than Crystal Palace. Very nice site and easy to get into town on trains. We're going to London again next January and have already booked at Abbey Wood again.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To pick up on what Brisey said, both Crystal Palace and Abbey Wood sites are in the LEZ (which covers the whole of the GLA area, much bigger than the Congestion Charge Zone).

If anyone wants a site outside the LEZ then try the Link Removed at Sewardstone, on the eastern side of the Lee Valley, just south of Waltham Abbey. We had a night there in July and found it OK and easy to get to/from as it's pretty close to the M25.

If your vehicle is non-compliant, don't confuse the Sewardstone site with the Link Removed on the western side of Lee Valley as that is inside the LEZ.

Graham

G

gazza

Deleted User
hi I was at Crystal Palace a few months ago. I recommend m25 then m23 as has been said allready. Really nice site . turn left out of the site and walk a few hundreds yards to the papershop to get your day passes for the bus/tube £5 odd a day 5.40 i think it was. Number 3 bus into london takes about 45 minutes.
Had a really good time and would definately go back

gary

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Wiljoy for Abbey Wood turn off the M25 on to the A2 follow that until you see a sign for the A221 (I believe its got a caravan sign not sure) turn on to the A221 and you go under the A2, follow this until you reach a traffic light controlled Tee junction where you turn right on to the A207, after 100yds at the next set turn left into Brompton road, stay on this until the road narrows as you through a wood and down a steep hill called Knee Hill, close to the bottom turn left and the site is on your left in about 300yds.

Nice site very secure, close to Abbey Wood station.

Olley

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Wiljoy for Abbey Wood turn off the M25 on to the A2 follow that until you see a sign for the A221 (I believe its got a caravan sign not sure) turn on to the A221 and you go under the A2, follow this until you reach a traffic light controlled Tee junction where you turn right on to the A207, after 100yds at the next set turn left into Brompton road, stay on this until the road narrows as you through a wood and down a steep hill called Knee Hill, close to the bottom turn left and the site is on your left in about 300yds.

Nice site very secure, close to Abbey Wood station.

Olley

The Caravan Club recommends that the steep part of Knee Hill should not be used - directions in the handbook give an alternative.

When we were there in January I asked the warden (motorhome owner) the reason. He told me that as well as being steep it is also narrow in parts and used by large wagons which might cause problems for people who don't know the road. Probably more of a problem for caravan owners rather then motorhome drivers but it isn't much out of your way to play safe and follow the CC directions.

Graham

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

We visited Abbey Wood in June to avoid the £200 a day LEZ charge. We later learned that the rules had been slightly changed, in as much that if you entered after the cut off date for your vehicle, you would receive a notice, informing you of the infringment, and giving you 28 days to comply. So, if planned properly, you could get way with if for a good few days.

Payments | Transport for London .....then scroll down.

Failure to pay
If you drive into the LEZ with an affected vehicle that does not meet the required emissions standards, is not exempt or registered for a 100 per cent discount and you do not pay the daily charge, you may be liable for a Penalty Charge.

On the first occasion the vehicle is driven within the zone, TfL will issue a warning letter (instead of a Penalty Charge) which will give you 28 days to take action to comply.

Jock.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Email me if you are coming near the Lee Valley site, we are not far away and could meet up Safe Journey to london xxxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back